Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 12:41 PM

45 posts, read 54,447 times

Advertisements

Hi there: After many years of enjoying Rehoboth Beach in the summer, we are interested in spending some time there this winter. Obviously it will be a lot quieter, but I'm curious just how quiet it gets...are restaurants (e.g. Salt Air, Back Porch, Jam Bistro, DiFebo's) and shops/markets open? Do people bundle up and spend time on the boardwalk/beach or is it completely desolate? We'd be staying downtown so mostly interested in what's happening there, not so much Route 1, etc. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2021, 01:16 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,890,515 times
I find that Rehoboth stays pretty active and lively until about January, and even then weekends are still busy. Most places will be open although some may close on Mondays or Tuesdays due to lack of help. Local downtown shops will be open and outlets are open daily but close earlier. The boardwalk will have people walking around even when it's cold, especially on the weekends. We enjoy going there in the off season. There will be plenty to do and see!

Old 09-06-2021, 01:18 PM

13,034 posts, read 17,934,978 times
If you come in January you will notice it is quieter and some places are closed. Other than that it is business as usual but without the crowds. Most of the restaurants are open or I should say were open in the winter, but this winter may be a little different if they don't have any help. I would check the websites to see. Depending upon the weather there are always people on the boardwalk and the beach, mostly walking - many with dogs. This is not the sleepy winter town it was when we moved here from L.I. almost 9 years ago. We asked the same questions then and after visiting every month we were surprised how "not quiet" it was then and today it is much busier than then.

Old 09-06-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
I find that Rehoboth stays pretty active and lively until about January, and even then weekends are still busy. Most places will be open although some may close on Mondays or Tuesdays due to lack of help. Local downtown shops will be open and outlets are open daily but close earlier. The boardwalk will have people walking around even when it's cold, especially on the weekends. We enjoy going there in the off season. There will be plenty to do and see!
OMG you would think we were comparing notes!!!!!

Old 09-06-2021, 01:32 PM

45 posts, read 54,447 times
All very helpful, thanks! We are specifically looking at mid-January to mid-February. Seems very appealing and at least a couple of degrees warmer than New England!

Old 09-07-2021, 08:06 AM

144 posts, read 447,496 times
One of the best part of winter in Rehoboth, most of the restaurants have off-season specials

Old 09-07-2021, 08:15 AM

9,685 posts, read 14,161,489 times
Native Delawarean here: As years go by, I've seen a trend taking place. Up until about 5-6 years ago, for a number of years, we enjoyed a 3-4 night stay in either Jan. or Feb. at the Atlantic Sands Hotel. It was relaxing, and few stores were open. We never went to shop, but to unwind by staying in our favorite suite overlooking the beautiful ocean and quiet boardwalk. But everybody else, now has the same idea, and we don't find it to be as tranquil. We're now searching the Atlantic Coast for what we once enjoyed, but it doesn't look like we'll find it closeby.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:13 AM

153 posts, read 316,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Native Delawarean here: As years go by, I've seen a trend taking place. Up until about 5-6 years ago, for a number of years, we enjoyed a 3-4 night stay in either Jan. or Feb. at the Atlantic Sands Hotel. It was relaxing, and few stores were open. We never went to shop, but to unwind by staying in our favorite suite overlooking the beautiful ocean and quiet boardwalk. But everybody else, now has the same idea, and we don't find it to be as tranquil. We're now searching the Atlantic Coast for what we once enjoyed, but it doesn't look like we'll find it closeby.
How about Cape May during Christmastime ? It is absolutely stunning there and only a short trip via the ferry, which in itself is a nice ride.

Another beautiful place is Virginia Beach. The boardwalk there is as nice or better than Rehoboth.

Last edited by Seaponies; 09-07-2021 at 10:23 AM..

Old 09-07-2021, 10:19 AM

829 posts, read 621,695 times
Quote:
I'm a transplant and our families are in Maryland. Just this past winter, I mentioned to one of my sisters that we'd been into downtown Rehoboth to walk (which we do several times a week in the winter). She commented that it must be cool to see Rehoboth when it's deserted. Ha! I guess I never realized that she didn't come to "the beach" in the winter, as we always have. One of our favorite things to do was to have lunch at Victoria's in the Boardwalk Plaza Hotel - we often daytripped, since we were just 2.5 hours away - and the occasional winter weekend.

I have mixed feelings about the city becoming increasingly busy in the winter. While it's nice that more shops and restaurants are open, it has lost some of the serenity and peacefulness.

Good luck finding a less traveled "path", RDLR.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I agree. As a transplant here, I can honestly concur with this statement. When we started looking here in 2011 in earnest, we spent time every month but Jan. and stayed downtown. I can honestly agree that it is a lot busier than even 10 years ago. There are many more restaurants and shops that are open now too.

I guess the good with the bad, the tourism industry has managed to keep the taxes down. I know I am part of the "problem" that has changed the area so radically, but, I am trying to be a good steward of my adopted home. Therefore, I am chaining my response to the OP. Nope this place already has the sidewalks rolled up - happens every year the day after Labor Day. You can go for days and see no one on the beach, and Rehoboth Avenue is all boarded up already. It is so quiet here, that you better hope that you don't ever break down because there is no one here to help you. Not friendly at all during the winter. (Hope that helps us, RDLR.!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: