Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 11:51 AM

405 posts, read 1,375,173 times

Advertisements

Here some infor about skateboard parks and Liability:

No city or county wants to construct a park only to find itself embroiled in legal difficulties over accidents.

Want to hear some good news?

When skateparks are constructed following a simple set of guidelines, the legal risk factor is quite low...lower in fact than for other playground equipment like swings and slides. A study of 48 California skateparks showed that only two claims have ever been filed and no claims have ever been won. In a study of 12 Washington State parks no claims have been filed. The president of a Bay Area company that insures over 30 municipalities for liability says, "Our office does not view skateboard parks as a high risk for cities."

Why? The answer is simple. Skaters assume their sport is risky. Skins, scrapes and even the occasional broken bone are expected. In fact, most skateboard injuries are treated at home, if they are treated at all.

Guidelines:

1. Skate at your own risk. The city assumes no responsibility for injuries. No supervision is provided at any time. (Ironically, supervision may increase your liability)
2. Helmets and safety pads are strongly recommended.
3. Help keep park clean
4. Park is open dawn to dusk
5. No bicycles
6. Be careful and respectful of other skaters
7. Use of alcohol, drugs and glass containers is strictly prohibited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 09:02 AM

65 posts, read 233,653 times
Thank You to EVERYONE for your comments on this thread. I never really gave it that much thought until my son took up boarding. Unf. I think this is just another result of people/parents not being responsible and letting their kids go to skate parks without an adult. I am not saying accidents cannot happen while parents are present. However, kids will be kids.....and when we are not around-kids go wild.
Tabitha

Old 05-27-2008, 11:50 PM

903 posts, read 3,505,461 times
Hi beach,

You're so right about unsupervised kids at skateparks, or anywhere for that matter. Sad thing is, just as many over-age kids (AKA so-called adults) get hurt with this kind of activity... and won't listen to the best of supervision 'cuz they're grown up!

Mary

Old 06-02-2008, 11:48 AM

957 posts, read 3,699,479 times
There is a skate park in Ocean City. It is on the bay side a couple blocks north of the rt50 bridge.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:17 PM

Rossc, even though I didn't start this topic, thanks for posting the info for those interested in knowing where to find a skate park. One question (on behalf of beachanyone, who I believe has just landed in Bethany Beach this past weekend).... from Bethany, isn't Ocean City pretty far away too? I know the one in New Castle area is a long ride from Bethany, but from what I recall, Ocean City is a nice hike as well.

Regardless, thanks again Rossc, for passing along that info!

Mary

Old 06-03-2008, 04:21 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,002,150 times
Mary, OC isn't far from Bethany....at least not geographically. It's less than 15 miles to the center of OC. Obviously, north OC is less only about 6 miles...or about that distance to the Maryland line from Bethany.

The traffic congestion is the problem during the tourist season. It can take an hour or more to make the drive on Route 1. Sometimes longer.

There are back roads to get you to where the park is that rossc posted about. Even the back roads become congested during the season, but as a local you learn to adapt.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:20 PM

Thanks for that info, Rockky... I'm sure the kids and I will venture further down Route 1 sometime this summer in our exploration of DE and coastal MD. We've been to Ocean City a few times prior to moving here, but always accessed it by way of Route 50, off of Route 13.

I'm sure once beachanyone gets settled and back to the forum, she'll appreciate the info as well. Who knows, she may already know all this (about Route 1 continuing on into OC), and your reply may be simply reinforcement for her! As for me, I've learned something new, and I thank you for it!

Mary

Old 06-04-2008, 05:28 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,002,150 times
Mary, if you head down that way during peak season, you may still want to go inland...as we call it.

Just head south on 113...through Milford, Georgetown, etc. If you want to go to Bethany, turn left onto Route 26/20 when you get to Millsboro. There are putting a Lowe's and BJ's nearby there. That will be a huge help for supplies in that area, btw.

If you want to go to OC, stay on 113 to Salisbury and take Route 50 into south OC. The route 50 bridge is at the end of Route 1 ocean side....as well call it. You can't go any further south at that point.

There are back roads to wind yourself from 113 to 50, but you still end up on 50 anyway...just further east.

Or....there's the Route 90 bridge which will take you into sorta mid north OC. (90th Street....I think the most north is around 147th Street) That one is usually less jammed. The St. Martin Neck area is quite beautiful out there.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:04 PM

65 posts, read 233,653 times
Thank You, I did not know that Ocean City had a skate park. I am finding that we are not very far from OC at all. We plan on going out in the water to OC this weekend...a break from unpacking and decorating!
The move went very well. I have met all my n'bors now everyone is as nice as can be.
I am finding that no matter how fast I drive, it isn't fast enough for most people on the road here. lol.
Thank You again for everyones input on this topic.
beachanyone

Old 11-19-2008, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 7,138 times
there is two skateparks in ocean city maryland which is about 20 minutes south of bethany beach, one is on 59th street called cloudbreak and the other is on 3rd street called ocean bowl, your 8 year old will have the most fun at ocean bowl, it is the best place and atmosphere for a young kid to learn how to skateboard and progress, there are also skateparks in milford which is about 40 minutes north of bethany beach, ridgely maryland (west of harrington, about 45 minutes from bethany), and a great free one in the public park in smyrna delaware, smyrna is about an hour from bethany but would be great for a weekend trip......... if you are asking how i know all this, I am 21 and skateboard in delaware everyday, i skateboard at smyrna about 4 or 5 times a week, my name is danny giblin if you see a long haired skateboarder at smyrna skatepark i will GLADLY help your son learn some new tricks on his skateboard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware