Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2007, 10:48 AM

317 posts, read 1,229,123 times

Advertisements

Born & raised in Wilmington and Newark, Delaware. Went to U of D. Had summer home in Rehoboth Beach. Father worked for DuPont right by the Delaware River Bridge. Have not lived in DE for 20 years, but go back yearly to visit friends and "the Beach".

...If I were to move back to DEL, it would ONLY be in "the beach" areas in the southern portion of Delaware. However, there are few jobs there. If you can retire there, it is ideal. The beaches are gorgeous, free, the people are friendly...it is a wonderful place, altho I am shocked at how expensive it has become. However, the low property taxes and lack of sales tax certainly make it one of the most viable options in the country for retirement.

...The DuPont chemical/toxins, etc., is a fact. My father worked as a laborer for DuPont since he was 18...Right by the bridge...and died early in life from multiple types of cancers, which we believe was from contaminations he worked within. We, as a family and as a community, at that time, were too ignorant to do anything about it, fight it, etc.

Horseshoecrabs. Much loved. On the border of becoming extinct. One of the oldest creatures on the planet. I don't know if it means the water is clean or not...but they are currently a protected species here in NJ.

Dirty Air, Water, etc. I am almost sure if you stick to the lower parts of Delaware as I mentioned, you will find clean air and water. If you even think for a brief second that DE is bad....perhaps you should check out the NJ forum or some of the other state forums, where the rivers are 1000 times over the acceptable contamination rates.

Go live in Delaware. It is beautiful, lovely, and a secret treasure in the US. Again, I am ONLY speaking about the southern part of the state...and you will need to be in business for yourself, have home-based business, retired. BUT - with kids, I have no idea what the school situation is like. And it gets cold in the winter, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware