U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 08:35 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,996,164 times

Advertisements

The thing most people know about Delaware, if anything, is either Tax-Free shopping, UD, or Rehoboth Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 08:24 AM

243 posts, read 835,828 times
I'd like to add one more thing. Many threads talk about how great Delaware is for retirees. Please don't forget to mention that it is a great place to raise children too. Coming from Long Island, New York, we are moving to Delaware because it's an easier pace and better living. More about community service, morals and values are experienced and learned on a daily basis. Maybe because DE is smaller, these things are more visible. They seem to get lost in bigger states.

Last edited by movn2del; 06-11-2008 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: added thought

Old 06-11-2008, 12:36 PM

6,237 posts, read 8,450,302 times
Quote:
Yeah, I've heard that about Newaygo, but I grew up listening to stories about a young boy spending time fishing on the Muskegon River. The woods, the lakes...it sounded like a paradise to me. And, oh, the stories about the interesting people who lived there. It would make a half hour sitcom.....if they did sitcoms about the early 20th century.
Michigan, especially, northern Michigan, really is a paradise to me. I can camp, hike, ice skate, all sorts of stuff. It's a very peaceful place to live too, little crime. Definitely, its worth a visit.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:51 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,459,766 times
GREAT birdwatching!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-13-2008, 02:00 PM

693 posts, read 2,612,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
GREAT birdwatching!!!!!!!!!!
Speaking of birdwatching, saw my first hummingbird of the season today. He actually used the feeder. I love the sound and sight of the seagulls, the ducks and the geese. But what I love the most about living here in DE is having sunrise and sunsets visible in the same day. I guess it's great compensation for not having any mountains.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:45 PM

57 posts, read 199,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post

Methodism began in DE. Look up Barratt's Chapel online.
It actually was founded in Savannah, GA as that's where John Wesley, founder of Methodism, came to America.

More businesses are incorporated in Delaware than any other state.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:25 PM

1,573 posts, read 5,639,955 times
A stand out thing for me about Delaware is that it is one of the few states in the country where they have "crab houses" that serve up steamed Chesapeake Bay hard shell blue crabs by the dozen or by the bushel. Probably my favorite food in existence. The only other places where you find true crab houses are in the Chesapeake Bay area (Maryland, Virginia, and DC), coastal NC, and south Jersey. I'll take a good batch of steaming hot blue crabs over dungeness crabs, stone crabs, or king crabs any day of the week.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:40 PM

1,646 posts, read 4,462,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbbqer View Post
It actually was founded in Savannah, GA as that's where John Wesley, founder of Methodism, came to America.

More businesses are incorporated in Delaware than any other state.
madbbqer, I was told that when I visited Savannnah just a few months ago. Beautiful city!! Barratt's Chapel likes to be included in the beginnings as well.

"Barratt's Chapel is the oldest surviving church building in the United States built by and for Methodists. But it earns its title as the "Cradle of Methodism" because of what happened here in 1784."

Story continued at this link:

Barratt's Chapel and Museum - The Story of Barratt's

Old 06-17-2008, 08:54 AM

13,320 posts, read 20,106,802 times
Delaware just feels relaxing. It is the peaceful shore towns,the State Parks on the ocean........The fields of wheat, and soy stretching for miles.
The restaurants nestled around the coves and bays........
There also is always something to do, or places to visit while in Delaware.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:36 PM

87 posts, read 282,781 times
There was an article in the paper last week that said Delaware grows 1/3 of all the lima beans in the U.S. Mostly baby lima beans. (The other two states to grow lima beans are CA and TN). I never even knew we grew lima beans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or