U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 10:19 AM
JPT

14 posts, read 39,699 times

Advertisements

I have to say, in my time spent in DE, I still feel the best thing the state has to offer is its location to major cities. It is the ultimate in suburban and rural solitute and exclusion. One day, you can kick back in your quiet little neighborhood and relax, or the next you can be in Manhattan or Center City taking in all the sights. Or if you like a combination of both city and relative calm there is Wilmington!

I think when Delaware is joked about as not being known for anything nationally, therein lies the point: the exclusion, solitute, slow pace, and lack of national or even regional recognition ARE the selling points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 10:02 PM

902 posts, read 3,213,531 times
JPT you certainly have a way with words! You pretty much summed up our thoughts about DE! For years, we traveled up and down the state, en route from one place to another. We always found DE "charming", and thought of moving here someday. Back then, did we ever think we WOULD? No.

But now, since actually moving here (and having lived in VA, NY, CT, and NC), we are sure glad we did!

Mary

Old 06-19-2008, 08:09 AM

957 posts, read 3,324,515 times
My friends daughters, who just graduated High School, thought that DE was a suburb of Washington DC. They live in Louisiana now but used to live with him in DC. Gotta love out public school system in this country.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:09 AM

1,573 posts, read 5,638,456 times
The single biggest thing that makes Delaware stand out among the other states is that it has incredibly favorable laws for corporations that have resulted in over half of the Fortune 500 companies "incorporating" in Delaware. Often, however, the corporations will be headquarted elsewhere (NYC is a biggie) and there will merely be a single registered agent who is resident in Delaware. Still, even having a single registered agent in the state allows the corporation to avail itself of Delaware state law in matters involving the corporation. For a small, sparsely populated state, Delaware is a major player in the corporate world.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:11 AM

957 posts, read 3,324,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
For a small, sparsely populated state, Delaware is a major player in the corporate world.
But all of those paper DE corporations do nothing to help the state economically. They pay money to the state to be incorporated here, but they don't provide jobs to local Delawareans and they don't help the local economy at all.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,198 times
Hi, I was wondering what makes Delaware so unique, after all New York is known for Ellis Island, The statue of liberty, and the empire state building. So what makes Delaware an interesting state except for being the first state?

Old 01-24-2011, 10:13 PM

445 posts, read 1,285,811 times
I don't know what could be more unique than being first. DE is also know for not having a Sales Tax, for it's beautiful beaches and as being the corporate home for 300 of the Fortune 500.

And while thousands visit Ellis Island to see the place there ancestors entered America, others can visit Holt House in Lewes, DE where many of their Swedish ancestors made the same journey 230 years before Ellis Island opened and more than 100 years before the United States was born.

DE is plenty unique.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:35 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,294,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ida0520 View Post
Hi, I was wondering what makes Delaware so unique, after all New York is known for Ellis Island, The statue of liberty, and the empire state building. So what makes Delaware an interesting state except for being the first state?
Those are all iconic for NYC but not for NY State as such. Gee, for the State of NY I would think of things like the Finger Lakes, Lake Ontario, Niagara Falls, the Adarondaks, harsh winters, the City of NYC as a whole, and Long Island.

As pointed out, there are no DE icons that are generally known outside the state. Probably the best known thing would be a Wilmington, DE return address on one's credit card statements.

For those within the state there are plenty of icons -- everything having to do with the Dupont legacy, the beach towns, Dogfish Head, Old New Castle, Dover Downs, and many other small treasures.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:43 AM

7,325 posts, read 10,754,669 times
I believe this was mentioned within the context of another post, or two, but whenever I mention this particular tidbit to people not living here, the reaction is always

"My daily routine involves traveling the entire State of Delaware, most days, and I don't have to leave early in the morning"

That statement is always met with such surprise, since many can't comprehend the entire State of Delaware being smaller than most counties in other states. I believe this factor sets us WAY apart from other states (minus R.I.).

Time Check......I'm on my way!

Old 01-28-2011, 07:11 AM

728 posts, read 1,596,595 times
Nobody's mentioned our PUNKIN CHUNKIN festival or seeing "mussrat" on menus!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or