U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2008, 09:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,722 times

Advertisements

We would like to relocate to Delaware from New Jersey. I have heard that
Delaware is the ideal place and alot less expensive and it is not very far from friends and family. When doing some research (gotta love google - thats how I found out about this forum! ), we did notice that there are not many communities that allow you to customize your home or build your own home plan. We want to live in a community, but we also have a house plan that we are looking at. We would not be opposed to building on an individual lot if we had to, but I really wanted to have neighbors and I would feel safer in a community.

I also noticed that there are not very many developments with trees. Why is this? We like the culture of the city, but do not want to prices and do not necessarily need to live in town. Is there a place that you would recommend that we should visit? A friend of ours moved to Milton recently, they seem to like it. We would like to come down this summer to visit and explore the area, possibly take the Cape May Lewes Ferry over. Any information would be helpful!!!!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 09:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,581 times
Hello! If you are looking for a community where you can buy a lot and it does not have a builder tie in, you might want to look into the following communities:

Smyrna - Northridge
Felton - Hidden Pond or Paradise Ridge
Milton - Bridlewood
Lewes - Hawkseye, Wolfe Pointe or Oakwood Village at Lewes - these are newer and have websites, [url=http://www.hawkseye.com]hawkseye.com[/url] , [url=http://www.oakwoodvillage-lewes.com]Oakwood Village at Lewes - Welcome[/url], and I think Wolfe Pointe is through Jack Lingo? But I am not sure about that - you could put the names into Google.....and I am sure they would come up.

I hope this helps! It is a start, they are all custom home communities, you may want to visit them and see how you like the area and what the community looks like. Delaware is an Agriculture state and doesn't have a lot of trees down south. Oakwood Village has a slideshow of pictures of their development and Hawkseye has an aerial - by the pictures, it looks like there are plenty of trees. Have fun on your trip! If you like kayaking, you should go on one of the Kayak Tours held by Quest Fitness or Coastal Kayak. I love them!

Old 06-17-2008, 06:20 AM

243 posts, read 835,787 times
Hi lifeisgood. Good luck on your research. I'm in the process of purchasing a home in DE. We did check into communities and found, as you did, that there are not many with trees. I think that is because they cleared all of the land for building and they haven't matured yet. A lot of the developments are newer with little or no growth. That is one of the reasons we didn't purchase in a community. There are resales available that do have growth and mature trees. Buying a home is very personal. You need to know what you want and with research, you will find it. Keep looking and good luck. We didn't buy in a development but we are near one and we do have neighbors. You can find properties with 1/4 acre, 1/2 acre or 5 acres or more. It's all according to what you want. Most developments, we found have under 1/2 acre. Most of them 1/4 acre or less. Most of the homes in the community look almost identical. There are maybe 3 or 4 styles. Some of the developments have lots left that haven't been sold and there is no builder tie ins. That means that you can have whatever builder you want. Some of the developments have restrictions of what you are allowed to do. You should check that out for whatever development you are looking into. You may also want to check and see what fees there are for any association that may be included with the development. Again, good luck.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:19 AM

3 posts, read 17,703 times
Default Considering Milton

We also have a friend who relocated to Milton and loves it. We have visited twice now because we really want to relo as well. I have to say there are things about the area we really really like. Closeness to the beach, good school district. You HAVE to stay in the Cape Henlopen district though (it's better than the surrounding districts I hear). People were nice, seemed like it had all the shopping you could want close enough. Had some nice local features, pond, fishing, state parks, brewery, lavendar farm, health food store, horse back riding etc...my only few concerns were it didn't seem to racially diverse and the housing prices seemed fairly high, equivalent to our Northern NJ prices.. also you would have to have a good work situation, there's really no corporate commerce. We really loved Heritage Creek's plans but it looks like the project is having a hard time getting off the ground. We are keeping our eye on it though.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:28 PM

13,320 posts, read 20,105,171 times
An area with trees and your own lot is Angola Bay....a community with pool and bay access. ( homes listed under Lewes)
Some communities in Millsboro might suit your needs.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,722 times
Hello Summering, Kathy, movin2del and malonso,

Thank you so much! It definitely gives me some insight and what to look for. I put the developments you suggested on a Map (Microsoft Maps - great program if you haven't used it before) and it looks like Angola is near Oakwood Village - they both have trees when you use Google Earth and look at the area- which is nice. Hawkseye seems to be bordered by trees - it looks like it is closer to the beach. Thank you for the information on Cape Henlopen, I will have to look into that.

Heritage Creek looks like a nice community as well. I think I will look into Schell Brothers and Lessard Builders, who looks like it is the builder at Oakwood Village. It looks like I can use any builder or floor plan in that development though, which is nice.

Any recommendations or comments on builders? You are absolutely correct when you say its "personal". We'd really like to have a customized home, and be able to work with a builder that is willing to allow us to have our own products (i have been doing research on some pretty neat products)

Also, does anyone know what the property taxes would be? ballpark? I hear they are very low!

Thanks again - you guys are great!

Have a great day!

Old 06-18-2008, 02:50 PM

40 posts, read 153,314 times
One in Seaford is Mearfield. It's new and the houses are new and fairly cheap, mid 200's.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:46 PM

13,320 posts, read 20,105,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisgood28 View Post
Hello Summering, Kathy, movin2del and malonso,

Thank you so much! It definitely gives me some insight and what to look for. I put the developments you suggested on a Map (Microsoft Maps - great program if you haven't used it before) and it looks like Angola is near Oakwood Village - they both have trees when you use Google Earth and look at the area- which is nice. Hawkseye seems to be bordered by trees - it looks like it is closer to the beach. Thank you for the information on Cape Henlopen, I will have to look into that.

Heritage Creek looks like a nice community as well. I think I will look into Schell Brothers and Lessard Builders, who looks like it is the builder at Oakwood Village. It looks like I can use any builder or floor plan in that development though, which is nice.

Any recommendations or comments on builders? You are absolutely correct when you say its "personal". We'd really like to have a customized home, and be able to work with a builder that is willing to allow us to have our own products (i have been doing research on some pretty neat products)

Also, does anyone know what the property taxes would be? ballpark? I hear they are very low!

Thanks again - you guys are great!

Have a great day!
Wow, that Oakwood Village looks great. I love how it is set up.........
Some of the home styles have a great look to them.
The plot looks good, and the location..........
I have not seen the others except Angola Bay.........and the Oakwood would be a newer development, then Angola..........
What Angola has going for it is the bay location, and the tree lots.
But............I think you have found a few good places.
I hope that Delly shows up to tell you more about the locations, she is the expert on all of that.........Best of Luck to YOU! You'll love it!

Old 06-19-2008, 06:15 AM

243 posts, read 835,787 times
Hi again, lifeisgood. Point of information for you. Google earth is not necessarily up-to-date. We looked there too, as well as mapquest in aerial view. Many homes that are let's say 2-6 years old look barren on the views online. When we actually saw them, there was greenery of some sort. Don't discount a property because of what you see online. You would think that with today's technology, they would be more accurate. When we looked for a home, we also looked at various price ranges. We looked at homes that were within $50,000 more, less and everywhere in between of the price we were looking to pay. Doing that also gave us a better idea of what was available for what price. Some homes were overpriced for the market. Some people seem to base their asking price on what they paid, especially if they bought when the market was high. We looked at 16 homes in one day. The realtor was very helpful. We started at 9:30am and finished about 7:30 pm. We, of course, had a lunch break. Dinner was after we finished. Good luck, again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or