U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 02:27 AM

13 posts, read 60,657 times

Advertisements

Moving next month. Looking to purchase a new bedroom set and a breakfast table. Are there any furniture stores in this area?

Also where do you go to buy appliances? Is there a Sears nearby?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 07:10 AM

902 posts, read 3,214,798 times
I'm sure there are furniture stores nearby. We live just south of Dover, and I only venture to the Middletown area for my eye doctor. I'd only be guessing, and don't want to speculate here on the forum.

Laurel, another poster, moved to the Middletown area just a few months ago. Perhaps she will post a reply for you that is more helpful. If you find yourself all the way in Dover (which is not THAT far), there IS a Sears at Dover Mall. AND, furniture stores are very easy to come by in Dover! For appliances, I for one would go to Lowes or Home Depot. We've had very good luck with prices at either store over our years... not just here in DE, but elsewhere.

Good luck with the move, and keep posting here in C-D! Welcome to Delaware, too!

Mary

Old 07-28-2008, 07:41 AM

693 posts, read 2,613,575 times
There is a Lowes right in Middletown. Mary is correct, they have decent pricing on appliances and may even offer free delivery.

For furniture, Johnny Janosick in Dover has a nice selection of quality furniture. We actually went to their Laurel store which is huge. Largest store I've ever seen. We also went to the state line where there are two stores side by side, Furnitureland and Ashley. It is worth the trip to go there. If you cant find it there, they probably don't make it.

Raymour and Flanigan is North of you on RT. 202. They also offer a nice selection of quality furniture.

Anyway, keep in mind, that if you are purchasing a mattress set with your bedroom, most mattresses offer free delivery so the stores will also deliver your entire furniture purchase free of charge.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:56 AM

What a great reminder, from PA! You can certainly be counted on for helpful tips (about combining the delivery)! I have heard the Johnny Janosick stores are good to check; we have only purchased mattresses new since moving to DE, but have browsed several stores around Dover for odds and ends.

Oh yeah, I forgot, we DID get other furniture new... but it was from Rose Valley Furniture (Amish), right outside of Dover. NYCgirl, if you're interested in their contact information, send me a direct message. I believe from PA has been there, but its been a while, if I'm not mistaken. The downside of this option is... you'd probably have to arrange your own delivery.

Good luck, and let us know what you find out!

Mary

Old 07-28-2008, 08:54 AM

405 posts, read 1,250,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgirl11223 View Post
Moving next month. Looking to purchase a new bedroom set and a breakfast table. Are there any furniture stores in this area?

Also where do you go to buy appliances? Is there a Sears nearby?
A question right up my alley.

We bought our Dining room furniture, and Living room furniture from Johnny Janosik (Dover 20 minutes away they deliver)their ad says they are "EAST COAST'S LARGEST FURNITURE STORE" Johnny Janosik has the best selection of Living Rooms, Bedrooms, Dining Rooms, Home Office, here is their featured brands Featured Brands
Thomasville Broyhill Hooker Bernhardt Stanley Lexington La-Z-Boy Stearns&Foster Lane Lane Action Kincaid Berkline Rowe Serta Sealy Legacy Classic. We were very happy with our purchases.

We bought front load washer and dryer from Sears, Kemore Elite, WE LOVE these machines, I have to say these are the best machines we ever owned, they get clothes super clean without ruining them. Plus so many features. Hubby does most of the laundry now cause he loves playing with the machine. LOL

The refridgerator we bought at Lowes (Middletown) LG stainless steel, bottom freezer, refer has 2 doors with water in the door. We've owned a lot of refridgerators over the years many configurations, and I have to say we like this one the best. It also has a draw for big deli trays, and the refer area seems much larger than our other ones. It configurated nicely.

There is also a Home Depot right next store to Lowes. You pretty much have to leave Middletown to go furniture shopping though. But everything is easy to get to.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:42 PM

40 posts, read 153,360 times
If you want cheap, Walmart is building in Middletown (don't know if open yet), Lowes and Home Depot are beside each other in Middletown, and like a few others said there are plenty of furniture places in Dover. There are also many in Newark area, and Rt. 202 North of Wilmington though thats a good 45 minutes or so from Middletown.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:25 PM

rusummer1,

I have found in my exploration that Walmart prices aren't necessarily the best in town these days. I shop Walmart for lots of things, and browse everything else. But around DE, at least mid-state, Walmart has some stiff competition. Not to mention the quality you come across, and the prospect of "assemble your own" (which may not be what the OP had in mind at all!)... all of this can factor in to the OP's initial request for info.

Keep us informed, nycgirl, about how you make out with the furniture!

Mary

Old 08-03-2008, 09:15 PM

445 posts, read 1,286,535 times
Middletown Appliance hands down. Fair prices and they service also. Ask for Nick. We purchased new frig, range hood and Bosch dishwasher from them this past Feb.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:16 AM

Thanks for the post, jdoll. While Middletown is a bit far for us to shop for the big stuff, I'm sure others will appreciate the kudos for Middletown Appliance! And I'm sure Nick would thank you for the referral too!

Mary

Old 08-05-2008, 11:01 AM

3 posts, read 14,226 times
You need to go to the Farmers Market in Middletown, For good Qaulity made Amish furniture, They have a nice selection of Hardwood, Barnwood, and Pinewood furniture
www.dutchcountryfarmersmarket.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware