Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 11:13 PM

4 posts, read 10,976 times

Advertisements

I've heard it a million times, in movies, in songs, read it in books, magazines, etc.. "you can never go home". Well I'm going to give it a shot anyway. I just turned 40, I'm a happy, healthy, intelligent, level headed woman, and evidentially braver than your average bear. When I tell my friends and family I am finally moving back home they are well a little taken aback.. I grew up in Camden Delaware and have some of the happiest memories of my life from my childhood. It's not the people, the places or things that I was involved with then, it's just well the area in general, the seasons, the small townish-ness. I was a teenager uprooted from the place I loved and had to move to Florida and I have longed to go back ever since. There always was a reason not to though, ex did'nt want to, kids did'nt want to, career took off in Jacksonville after I finished school in Gainesville (Go Gators) . So now the kids are in school and on their own, sold the house, quit the job and I'm leaving Friday morning at 6am. My moving truck and honda in tow. I've lined up a place to live and have all the utilities on. The bottom floor of a historic victorian house, oak floors, pocket doors, bay windows with wood shutters..Anyway getting off track here..I wonder if any other person out there has done this by herself? I'm really excited about the move, I feel like I'm 20 again, starting out fresh, the next chapter of my life so to speak. Only this time I'm alot smarter, have alot more stuff, and not to mention a little more well off too. No-one to answer to, and I can do what I like, be my own best friend again. I must admit I do feel a bit guilty/selfish, moving so far from my immediate family, I do have some in Delaware though too. I think this is the female in me, men don't think like that do they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 04:39 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,749,491 times
Moving to the Delaware forum from CChat.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:42 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,387,379 times
You have my very best wishes for your move!

The nostalgia you've so beautifully expressed makes me a bit wistful. I live in a state I love, but the older I get, the more I find myself thinking about my childhood in Indiana. It seemed to be a kinder, gentler era, and certain areas were very Mayberryish. Each place has a uniqueness about it that can never be fully replicated elsewhere. Blessed is the person who can recognize what they appreciate and has the gumption and wherewithal to follow their dreams regardless of what others may think. May you be both blessed and happy!

Old 07-24-2008, 02:34 PM

21 posts, read 79,243 times
Hey Summering:

I say, Go girl! I am happy for you. I have never been to Delaware, but I know what it feels like to have a hope, and see it come true. I don't like my hometown very much (Jax, FL), and the place I live now is just okay. I envy you having a place you want to return to, and the freedom to do it. Besides, if you didn't do this now, you'd find yourself at the end wondering, "what if?" All the best to you.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:38 PM

361 posts, read 1,946,719 times
Congrats! I am doing a similar thing and I am 37. I am from PA originally and have been "stranded" in the Midwest since 1985. I've tried to make it work (obviously) but have always wanted to come back East - and in 28 days I will finally make it back!! Anyway, I know what you mean. Some people think the nostalgia isn't real. All I know is I never feel at home anywhere else!

Old 07-29-2008, 07:40 PM

182 posts, read 450,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katreese View Post
Congrats! I am doing a similar thing and I am 37. I am from PA originally and have been "stranded" in the Midwest since 1985. I've tried to make it work (obviously) but have always wanted to come back East - and in 28 days I will finally make it back!! Anyway, I know what you mean. Some people think the nostalgia isn't real. All I know is I never feel at home anywhere else!
When in PA Katreese? I just moved to the Northeast PA.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:42 PM

182 posts, read 450,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueyank View Post
I've heard it a million times, in movies, in songs, read it in books, magazines, etc.. "you can never go home". Well I'm going to give it a shot anyway. I just turned 40, I'm a happy, healthy, intelligent, level headed woman, and evidentially braver than your average bear. When I tell my friends and family I am finally moving back home they are well a little taken aback.. I grew up in Camden Delaware and have some of the happiest memories of my life from my childhood. It's not the people, the places or things that I was involved with then, it's just well the area in general, the seasons, the small townish-ness. I was a teenager uprooted from the place I loved and had to move to Florida and I have longed to go back ever since. There always was a reason not to though, ex did'nt want to, kids did'nt want to, career took off in Jacksonville after I finished school in Gainesville (Go Gators) . So now the kids are in school and on their own, sold the house, quit the job and I'm leaving Friday morning at 6am. My moving truck and honda in tow. I've lined up a place to live and have all the utilities on. The bottom floor of a historic victorian house, oak floors, pocket doors, bay windows with wood shutters..Anyway getting off track here..I wonder if any other person out there has done this by herself? I'm really excited about the move, I feel like I'm 20 again, starting out fresh, the next chapter of my life so to speak. Only this time I'm alot smarter, have alot more stuff, and not to mention a little more well off too. No-one to answer to, and I can do what I like, be my own best friend again. I must admit I do feel a bit guilty/selfish, moving so far from my immediate family, I do have some in Delaware though too. I think this is the female in me, men don't think like that do they?
Hope it is everything you remember it to be and I hope you make just as many good new memories as well. I love my home (grew up in Dover) but I have also loved everywhere I have lived since. I will not say I will never go home because you never know. Maybe yes like my niece from Dover says maybe no like my DH says

Old 07-29-2008, 09:19 PM

243 posts, read 914,647 times
Welcome, trueyank. I hope your move back to DE is everything you expect it to be! I wish you the best of luck and hope your move is easy, as I hope for myself. As a matter of fact, this will be my last time on the computer because I will be disconnecting. Our house is being packed on Thursday and delivered to DE Friday. Probably won't be back on-line until Tuesday or Wednesday.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:08 AM

361 posts, read 1,946,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia to Northeast PA View Post
When in PA Katreese? I just moved to the Northeast PA.
I'm moving to Newark, DE.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:06 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueyank View Post
But then there's the song by Bonjovi "Who Says You Can't go Home" . I think you've made a wise decision and best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware