Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Delaware: New York, residential development, transplants, traffic, beach resorts.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:53 AM

24 posts, read 87,421 times

Advertisements

I’ve read a lot about people who have moved or are planning to move to the area and I have to say, I don’t blame them…it’s beautiful here.

I’m relocating to Milford from New York myself with my wife and two boys. We know it’s going to be a lot different from what we were used to in NY, but different in a good way.

I could go on and on about what attracted me to Milford, but more importantly, I wanted to pose a question to those born in DE or locals who have been here for a period of time.

Do you get upset or bitter with all the “new arrivals” into your state?
What about all the development – both residential and commercial?

Thank you in advance for your reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 10:33 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,672,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjkern View Post
I’ve read a lot about people who have moved or are planning to move to the area and I have to say, I don’t blame them…it’s beautiful here.

I’m relocating to Milford from New York myself with my wife and two boys. We know it’s going to be a lot different from what we were used to in NY, but different in a good way.

I could go on and on about what attracted me to Milford, but more importantly, I wanted to pose a question to those born in DE or locals who have been here for a period of time.

Hi Skjern........

Oh my......This is a question that doesn't only apply to DE. I'm afraid any state in the union that has an infulx of people moving from other states is faced with this dilema. But in the end, everyone adjusts.

Central DE was mostly farm land and now developments are springing up right and left at a fast pace. I'm sure the some DE born locals don't see this as a good thing. And I can say I do understand where they are coming from. The place the know and loved all their lives is changing and that probably makes them sad.
But of course we all know, we must move on and accept the things we can not change.
I will tell you......DE is a very friendly place. Hubby and I are transplants from PA living here 1 year and a half now. We have found DE to be a very friendly place and love living here.

Good luck to you and your family. Milford is a lovely community and you will be a happy there

Old 08-14-2008, 10:48 AM

24 posts, read 87,421 times
Thank you. We moved all around New York trying to find an area that wasn't so heavily populated and every time we moved to a out of the way place, two years later, everybody decided to do the same thing.

So I know the feeling one might feel of having people trampling on your home turf. I often wish there were more laws in place or more officials who weren't only hungry for a dollar, that would turn developers away from building so much.

Development is almost a necessary evil, but there's got to be a point where it has to stop until the infrastructure can catch up to the influx of people.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:12 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,672,476 times
Quote:
Thank you. We moved all around New York trying to find an area that wasn't so heavily populated and every time we moved to a out of the way place, two years later, everybody decided to do the same thing.

So I know the feeling one might feel of having people trampling on your home turf. I often wish there were more laws in place or more officials who weren't only hungry for a dollar, that would turn developers away from building so much.

Development is almost a necessary evil, but there's got to be a point where it has to stop until the infrastructure can catch up to the influx of people.
I agree the building can get out of hand. Infrastructure will just have to catch up an it will evenutally.
They call it progress.
I remember hearing on the news, the bay bridge is sufficient during the summer with all the traffic.
I did hear there was talk of building another bridge but I think money was involved. Too big of a project for now.

I came from the city so it will take quite a few years to get more populated than what I was used to.
Right now, I'm loving every moment of the wide open spaces.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:32 PM

903 posts, read 3,505,869 times
Hi sjkern,

Having lived in several states in my lifetime, I have to comment on your question. I have met several people here in DE, both native and transplants, and found one common thread. It seems to me the natives accept the influx of newcomers with mixed feelings. If the newcomers embrace DE as their new home, they are welcome. If the newcomers try to make DE into where they came from, there is resistance. But that holds true almost any place you go.

We moved here from central NC, and I have found Delawareans much more friendly to us than most folks we encountered in our 15+ years in NC. Where we were, too many transplants tried to change NC in too big of ways, which created a lot of bitterness with the native Carolinians.

May I speak as a 1 year old resident of Delaware, and say welcome to this lovely state!

Mary

Last edited by maryCh; 09-04-2008 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 09-06-2008, 12:34 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,416,040 times
My neighbors were constantly from another state or another country. I'd say Delaware is pretty numb to outsiders coming in. Then again, I'm speaking of New Castle County. I'd think it is similar with the other two counties revolving around a regional beach resort, or an Army Air Force Base.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:38 PM

34 posts, read 59,863 times
Quote:

Honestly, yes and no. It's always great to meet new people from other places and learn the differences. But sometimes, they bring a fast life to slower living. They bring an attitude that usually isn't welcome. They bring city politics to small town that really hurt the local family way of living.

Example:

Heritage Shores, wanted to be annexed into the community but will not allow the original community to share something as simple as the pool. They wouldn't let the town of bridgeville in for 4th of July festivities. Normally you would ask your local fire dept. protect you during events, Well they did ask the fire dept. but brought in a private company to do the ambulance service. I was very angry about that.

How can you want to be part of a community if you don't trust the community.

This seems to be the trend for Delaware. Small communities that want the luxury of living in Delaware but just the parts that make it feel like a vacation 24/7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware