U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 08:40 PM

3 posts, read 14,831 times

Advertisements

So I just got a full time teaching position in suburban Philadelphia (about 20 min. south of the city) and my boyfriend works for the army and will be relocating to Aberdeen Proving Grounds in MD. We are trying to find a place between our two jobs and we are starting to think Delaware might be it.

Neither of us are crazy about the idea of living in Delaware so we need some advice on which areas are nice, safe, affordable, etc. We would prefer to live somewhere there is still stuff to do since we are in our mid-twenties and enjoys going out, meeting people and having fun.

Any ideas? We are pretty lost!

THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 09:51 AM

14 posts, read 47,773 times
Hi. We have three counties, New Castle to the north, Kent in the central and Sussex to the south. You might want to start looking in the Bear and Newark area. (I'm originally from Jersey years ago so I had to learn how to say "New-Ark" rather than "Nork") Bear is mostly suburbs and Newark is the home to Univ of Delaware, meaning, a fair amount of things to do in their nice downtown area. From these areas it's pretty easy to hop on I-95 and head to Aberdeen or to Philly, even by Septa. There's a number of people choosing that part of Delaware who are moving from the Ft Monmouth area. Hope this helps, feel free to contact me anytime.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:51 PM

18 posts, read 38,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT in DE View Post
Hi. We have three counties, New Castle to the north, Kent in the central and Sussex to the south. You might want to start looking in the Bear and Newark area. (I'm originally from Jersey years ago so I had to learn how to say "New-Ark" rather than "Nork") Bear is mostly suburbs and Newark is the home to Univ of Delaware, meaning, a fair amount of things to do in their nice downtown area. From these areas it's pretty easy to hop on I-95 and head to Aberdeen or to Philly, even by Septa. There's a number of people choosing that part of Delaware who are moving from the Ft Monmouth area. Hope this helps, feel free to contact me anytime.
Hi, we are looking for a good place to relocate to from NJ. How is a job situation in Delaware? Are there any good schools?
We've been looking in Maine, but so far I found that job market there is very poor and was wondering what other neighbouring states have to offer. We were looking for friendly people. I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:19 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,002,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishlak View Post
So I just got a full time teaching position in suburban Philadelphia (about 20 min. south of the city) and my boyfriend works for the army and will be relocating to Aberdeen Proving Grounds in MD. We are trying to find a place between our two jobs and we are starting to think Delaware might be it.

Neither of us are crazy about the idea of living in Delaware so we need some advice on which areas are nice, safe, affordable, etc. We would prefer to live somewhere there is still stuff to do since we are in our mid-twenties and enjoys going out, meeting people and having fun.

Any ideas? We are pretty lost!

THANKS!!!
If you are in your mid-twenties, and you don't want to move to Delaware, don't. The last thing I need is another person telling me how boring Delaware is when I already know it. There's a whole bunch of you.

If you go with the mindset that Northern Delaware is a place to live, and work, and that you're gonna have to drive to have some fun, then NCCo can be a cheap place for you to have a house between Delco and Harford County, MD.

Check out Bear, Newark, or New Castle.

Personally, I don't think Aberdeen is far enough to warrant you both moving from Delco if you're happy in Delco (why I dunno.)

By moving to Bear, or Newark, he'll be saving 20 mins in his commute max, unless you live off the blue route, in which the time saves could be pretty significant.

EDIT: I assumed incorrectly you lived in Delco now. Where do you live currently?

Old 03-17-2009, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,037 times
i am immigrant from asia and wants to relocate in delaware near new jersey to live in affordable place in the range of $300000 single family home ,safe neighbour . i am in 50 ies degree in engineering presently professional commercial pilot on B-777. can any one advise me . thanks

Old 03-18-2009, 08:14 AM

604 posts, read 1,779,730 times
JT:

What is your expertise? Jobs picture is such that certain departments in a given firm are laying some people off and at the same time hiring in other departments. So no blanket statements can be made about jobs per se.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:19 AM

Livefree:

What is your expertise, Livefree?

Jobs picture is such that certain departments in a given firm are laying people off and at the same time other departments are hiring new people. So no blanket statement can be made about job situation per se.

JT:

sorry about addressing the previous post to you

Old 03-18-2009, 08:24 AM

Mishlak:

As long you keep close to I-95 visiting other places in your spare time would be a breeze. Like JT suggested living near Newark might prove to be a good decision on many fronts.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:29 AM

19,922 posts, read 9,990,996 times
armx - It looks like Mishlak, JT and Livefree haven't posted at City-Data since late August / early September 2008. They might not be responding. Sajjad resurrected an older thread.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:59 AM

Thanks, Charley!

Although I have been contributing regularly for a couple of months ... I have not yet mastered the protocol -- which is to check the day the message was posted. Your post today might get me in the habit of checking that first, I hope!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware