Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2008, 07:33 PM

39 posts, read 145,939 times

Advertisements

My DH is being redeployed by DuPont. Tonight, searching job listings we see a couple in Wilmington. We've lived in Hockessin and in Pike Creek, then finally in Newark before DuPont transferred us to Ohio in '96.

I am having a bit of sticker shock seeing what real estate prices have done over there in the past 11 years

So, given that we're just a couple older folks with 2 dogs and not needing a huge family home anymore, but with good taste nonetheless - price range for a house comfortably in the range of $200-275,000 what is recommended these days? No townhomes.

I'm worried that we aren't going to be able to find something we can live with now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 10:07 PM

87 posts, read 311,725 times
For a single family home in that price range, you might want to check Middletown/Odessa/Townsend. The new Route 1 (new since you moved anyway) makes it an easy drive and the prices are much better than Hockessin/Pike Creek/Newark.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:54 AM

Thanks Kat. I was only vaguely aware of the new road. It's been 2+ years since I last visited the area.

So the old route 13 is no longer the only way down to Townsend and Middletown and points beyond, then? Gosh I remember the famous Friday and Sunday shore traffic in the summers.....no thank you very much

I recall Middletown having a very appealing old American town atmosphere with tree lined neighborhoods and lovely Mission and Victorian homes. Although we aren't much into in-town living, we enjoy that ambience.

Bear area: What is the consensus there? We almost built a Capano home in 1993 or 94 and were glad later that we did not. His first development there along Pulaski hwy. (Gov. Square area I think it was)developed superfund issues and a couple of our friends who had homes in that area experienced some very nasty floor and basement cracking and gas leak issues.

I remember that area being spread out with some newer developments going in and of course affordable RE prices, too.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:18 PM

87 posts, read 311,725 times
The Bear area has tons of housing developments and just about any retail store or restaurant you would want. However, there is no rhyme or reason to the area. Just lots of everything; no main "town," just a big suburban area all around route 40.

Middletown is extremely popular right now. The town is beautiful, there are tons of developments being built; lots and lots of new retail and restaurants. Off of Route 299 they are planning a new movie theater and a new Super Walmart opens in the fall. I think it's a fabulous area to live and Townsend and Odessa are right next door -- both with their fair share of new housing developments but not much in the way of shopping, etc. although it's such a short drive to Middletown.....

Old 08-29-2008, 07:53 PM

DH and I discussed this last night. I think we may concentrate our search in the Middletown area after all. I appreciate your advice and guidance much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware