Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2008, 08:56 AM

6 posts, read 18,479 times

Advertisements

We are retired and would like to find an affordable city or town to live in. Like everyone else. Ha Ha We would like a small 2 bdrm condo or townhouse and of course low low property taxes including low school taxes.

Appreciate any info. We are planning a trip and want to narrow our search accordingly.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 05:13 PM

903 posts, read 3,504,968 times
Hi Desi,

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your retirement! I think the general consensus here about affordability in DE is.. the further south you go in the state (excluding the beach area), to less expensive the real estate.

But as I am sure you know, a lot of that depends on where you are coming from in comparing the prices. Having moved to DE from central NC, it seemed expensive to me. But then again, our relatives are all over the northeast, and the housing prices are not bad in comparison.

Please post a bit more about yourselves, what other things you value in your retirement, and perhaps you will get more advise along the way. We are not quite where you are... we've got several years to go before we can even think of retirement. Plus, with our youngest still in elementary school, well, you know where that conversation leads!

Again, welcome to the forum.

Mary

Old 09-14-2008, 01:56 PM

230 posts, read 689,509 times
I live in Wilmington and pay under $800 for a two bedroom apartment. However, I am an in area with a lot of young people. Although my building is not loud, nor is my block, surrounding areas tend to be a little more hip-hop then you may like. I would suggest looking on Baynard Boulevard area and Augustine cut-off if you would like to live in Wilmington and/or the 9th ward, there may be some good condos in that area. However, one of the best areas for retired couples is Middletown, great house for your money and they are building up around the area for shops, malls, restarurants, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware