Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering moving from Delaware to Chicago, seeking advice from people who have lived in both areas, pros and cons of living in Chicago, adjusting to Chicago winters

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:39 PM

230 posts, read 689,550 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,
I am seriously thinking of relocating from Delaware to Chicago. Is anyone on here originally from Chicago or that lived in that area, that would be able to give me a comparison of the two?

For instance, why did you move and come here and would you go back?

Also, since East Coast does have a winter, if I were to move, would I be able to adjust to the winter, or would I be in for a shock? I know they are harsh.

My reason for wanting to relocate is for career advancement in the Criminal Justice Field.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 09:58 PM

361 posts, read 1,947,120 times
I lived in Chicago right out of college for 3 years (1993-1996) and the burbs for 7 years prior, but I have only lived in Newark for 3 weeks (I was in Madison, WI in the interim). Where in Chicago are you thinking of living? And working?

I moved out here for school. I might move back to Chicago if I had a fabulous job offer, but I'd rather not. There are many reasons for that which I could explain better (and give more of a comparison) if I knew where you are thinking of living/working.

You'd be in for a shock with the winters, but I think you would adjust. It depends on what you prefer, and your age. Personally, I abhor heat and humidity, so I am having a hard time adjusting here. The cool season in midwest is a lot longer. They have had temps in the 70s for weeks now, and it is not unusual to need a jacket in May. June is lovely. If there is heat, it will come in August. There may be some days over 90 and with intense humidity, but not too many, and in any case it would only last for a few days at a time. Winters are long and dark, which bothers some people. Often it's in the 30s in November and December - the hard-core stuff doesn't start until January. We're talking 0 degrees. Buy yourself a good down coat, wool hat, and serious gloves, and you'll be fine. Depending on how you commute (my sister's commute is 90 minutes in GOOD weather), be prepared to make emergency arrangements in the event of a serious storm - leave work early, or stay at a hotel. (Of course, that won't happen that often, and the storm might not arrive during rush hour - but it DOES happen). The reason I mention age as a factor is that there can be lots and lots of snow, and shoveling that amount of snow might not be the best thing for everyone (get a snowblower).

Let me know where you're thinking of living/working and, if possible, any specific points of comparison you are interested in.

Last edited by katreese; 09-15-2008 at 10:12 PM..

Old 09-15-2008, 10:19 PM

Thanks Katrese,
I have two job interviews. One is in Chicago working for Cook County Juvenile Court on S. Hamilton Street. I have been looking in the areas of Auburn Gresham to live and commute too, which is about 30 minutes, minus of course bad weather, which I am sure, would make it longer.

The other interview is in Joliet, Illinois. Have been in contact with people there, that tell me Plainfield, Bolingbrook and Glendale Heighst aren't so bad.

I am 28, so the shoveling would not bother me at all. It would be myself and my daughter (7 years old) moving there. I do know that the cost of living is way higher in Chicago than here in Delaware, so would $40k a year, starting, hurt me severly, or do you think I could make it with me and her on that salary? Some native Chicagoans, think I would do just fine renting, especially if I am just renting to start off, in either Chicago or Joliet.

Thanks for your help. And Welcome to Delaware. Which school are you attending?

Old 09-15-2008, 11:55 PM

361 posts, read 1,947,120 times
Hi again,

Okay, darn, I don't know much about those areas - it sounds like you might have more info than I do! I have been to Bolingbrook and Joliet (years ago). The thing I really liked about the western suburbs was that there were very diverse - unlike the NW suburbs where I lived which were not, at all.

One thing, if you live in the city, you could get buy without a car, which would save you some money. The drawbacks would be 1) not being able to haul more than you can carry, unless you get a cab 2) for me, living in Chicago without a car was claustrophobic (I lived in Lakeview). Which brings me to one of my comparison points - if you live in the city, you could be potentially 2-3 hours from the countryside/wide-open green space. Chicago is all sprawl - one big city surrounded by contiguous suburbs, all the way out to Joliet! I hate nature and this still bothered me. In Joliet, of course, you will be closer to the countryside. The east coast is heavily populated but from what I have seen it does not consist of one town jammed up against another for miles and miles on end.

One of the reasons why I was excited to move to the east coast is that I am now close to a variety of places - beaches, mountains, rivers, several large and different major metropolitan areas, 6 states...If you move to Chicago, you'll be close to...Chicago. And corn. If you want to see different terrain, you can go see a flat prairie with prairie grass...or corn. Sure, Chicago is a big city with lots to do. But I like variety. So, that's just me - that might not bother everyone.

Living in the city is of course different from living in the suburbs. In the city, you've got more people, less safety, more congestion, more traffic/transportation issues. Suburbs are also congested, but you'll have fewer cultural opportunities and less excitement than you would in the city.

Unfortunately I can't answer your salary question as I don't have kids. I think that would be a great starting salary for 1 person, but that doesn't help you!

I think my reasons for not liking Chicago were mostly just where I was at at that time. I found the people to be singularly unfriendly - in contrast to here - but that might just be me. I do miss living in a big city. If you have a great job opportunity I say go for it!

Thanks for the welcome! I'm going to UD. So far I love it here!

I hope this is somewhat helpful! At least, it'll give you more questions to ask your contacts out there!

Old 09-16-2008, 08:08 AM

Very helpful Katrese!! Thank you very much. Good Luck at UD as well. I am not a big nature person nor am I against it, so I guess I could be neutral in that regard.

I just heard from two contacts out there and one said $40k would be ok starting out. Another lady who is a single mom, said she makes less than me and has her own condo in Joliet, and that I would be find on that for myself and my daughter.

We shall see what happens.

Thanks Again!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:31 PM

445 posts, read 1,435,900 times
Born and raised in Illinois and Lake County (1985-90 & 1996-2006). Job transfer brought us east and there is no way in HELL I'm going back. Here's the Top 10 list.

1. No Sales Tax. If you are coming from Chicago (the city) you just got a 11% raise.
2. Real Estate Taxes: My DE house cost 10% more than IL, but the RE taxes are 1/4 of what we paid in IL.
3. Government here works!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4. Winter here is a walk in the park. Leave that heavy duty Chicago jacket there. In two winters here the total snowfall has been 5".
5. Drive 3 hours from Chicago, where are you? Here you are in NYC, DC, Philly or any number of places. More than I can do in a lifetime.
6. Traffic. Outside of I-95, traffic is a lot better here.
7. The DE beaches.
8. Airports. BWI & PHL are easy airports to deal with. More like Midway.
9. Easier Cub & White Sox tickets than in Chicago.
10. The weather in DE. Break out your shorts and flip flops in late March and keep them at the ready into December. Both Christmas' here I have put up the X-mas lights in short sleeves and taken them down in January without a jacket on.

I didn't plan our move here but, there's no way I'm going back. Chicago is the greatest city in American, but the cost and hassle just are not worth it to me anymore. Love my visit back there, but also love coming back here to live.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:02 PM

Thanks for the information JDoll!
I knew I was going to take a hit on the sales tax. I have been hearing that a lot lately. I just can't get into my career field here in DE (Criminal Justice/Forensics) and have been really contemplating the move to the Mid-West. I am not a fan of the winter, but do not hate it either. The cold is not what bothers me so much, I am just not a fan of snow, but right now, I think I am willing to make the adjustment to take the move.

I know you said your house tax was more, but is it true you still get more house for your money in DE compared to the same priced house in Chicago?

Old 09-17-2008, 06:20 AM

445 posts, read 1,435,900 times
It is harder to generalize the Chicago RE market. A 3-bdrm, 1800 sq ft ranch in Deerfield, IL would sell for $400k+, while the same house in Gurnee, IL (20 miles further north) would be 100k less. Keep in mind I am giving you 2006 prices and I hit the DE bubble. Chicago RE historically avoids big ups and downs.

Any idea where you may work? I'd be glad to give you more detail based on that info. Remember, Chicagoland has a great commuter train system and the city has the L.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:51 AM

I have an interview for two positions.

One at Cook County Juvenile Court on S. Hamilton Avenue. Have been looking to rent when I first get there. I think I would like to live on the southside since my potential job will be on that side, Have been looking at Hyde Park, Auburn and Beverly areas.

Second interview is in Joliet for River Valley Detention Center. Have been told to check out Bolinbrook, Downers Grove, Glendale Heights and Minooka. Hear Minooka's School District is great. I have a 2nd grader.

Thanks.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:40 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlogan0301 View Post
Thanks for the information JDoll!
I knew I was going to take a hit on the sales tax. I have been hearing that a lot lately. I just can't get into my career field here in DE (Criminal Justice/Forensics) and have been really contemplating the move to the Mid-West. I am not a fan of the winter, but do not hate it either. The cold is not what bothers me so much, I am just not a fan of snow, but right now, I think I am willing to make the adjustment to take the move.

I know you said your house tax was more, but is it true you still get more house for your money in DE compared to the same priced house in Chicago?
Don't mean to be a "city-data stalker" but......LOL.I lived in Chicago briefly,I just wanted to tell you if you do not already know is that the Auburn Gresham area is not diverse at all.Its like 98percent black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware