Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 11:53 AM

957 posts, read 3,699,479 times

Advertisements

Regarding health care, this is what I got out of the latest debate. McCain wants to give business a $5000 tax credit so they can better provide benefits for their employees. The problem with a tax credit in general is that in order to get it, you have be paying taxes. The small businesses that are struggling that have a zero or negative annual net are left out in the cold. This seems to be the status quo at least for the last 8 years. The people who really need it don't get it. The last economic stimulus was the same way. Anyone who had no income got nothing.

Obama's heath care offering seems more realistic. He states that heath care should be a right, not a privilege. His plan would offer people in need discounted coverage under the same group policies that provide coverage for government employees.

McCain's claims that Obama's small business tax proposals have also been debunked by the fact checkers. His proposal WOULD in fact benefit about 95% of small business. Don't even get me started on McCain's plan to spend $300 billion buying up bad mortgages. How about spending that money to create jobs so people can afford the mortgage they have?

Just heard McCain on the news state that the democrats have been in the majority for 2 years and asked, "Have they made things better?" The other side of that story is that the prior 6 years of republican majority is what created the problem in the first place.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:59 PM

549 posts, read 1,929,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskirwin View Post
John McCain was being tortured to rat on his friends and say nasty things about his country. Because of this torture he still can't lift his arms up above his neck.

In 2000 John McCain was smeared with some of the most vicious lies ever said by one Republican against another in the South Carolina primary. The lies worked and Bush won, forcing the Senator to give up his quest for the White House.

Are you willing to slander an American hero for your candidate to make it to the White House? Is this how you want to be remembered?
You don't vote for someone to lead our country because of sympathy. Many soldiers have it worse - be it amputee or death. John McCain is a VERY fortunate man and he's not even a "good man" as you put it. He cheated on his wife (that was crippled from a car accident). Then he ditched her to marry someone about 20 years younger than him.

This election isn't about who's more American or patriotic. It's about electing the right person for the job. Right now, we need someone that can pull us out of this financial hell.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:19 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
Regarding health care, this is what I got out of the latest debate. McCain wants to give business a $5000 tax credit so they can better provide benefits for their employees. The problem with a tax credit in general is that in order to get it, you have be paying taxes. The small businesses that are struggling that have a zero or negative annual net are left out in the cold. This seems to be the status quo at least for the last 8 years. The people who really need it don't get it. The last economic stimulus was the same way. Anyone who had no income got nothing.

Obama's heath care offering seems more realistic. He states that heath care should be a right, not a privilege. His plan would offer people in need discounted coverage under the same group policies that provide coverage for government employees.

McCain's claims that Obama's small business tax proposals have also been debunked by the fact checkers. His proposal WOULD in fact benefit about 95% of small business. Don't even get me started on McCain's plan to spend $300 billion buying up bad mortgages. How about spending that money to create jobs so people can afford the mortgage they have?

Just heard McCain on the news state that the democrats have been in the majority for 2 years and asked, "Have they made things better?" The other side of that story is that the prior 6 years of republican majority is what created the problem in the first place.
I think there is enough blame to go around, anyone who thinks the republicans created all the problems needs to get their heads out of wherever they have them....

Old 10-09-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endersshadow View Post
You don't vote for someone to lead our country because of sympathy. Many soldiers have it worse - be it amputee or death. John McCain is a VERY fortunate man and he's not even a "good man" as you put it. He cheated on his wife (that was crippled from a car accident). Then he ditched her to marry someone about 20 years younger than him.

This election isn't about who's more American or patriotic. It's about electing the right person for the job. Right now, we need someone that can pull us out of this financial hell.
the only good thing I can see about electing Obama, we will get a chance to see how much he can screw up: the bad thing, we will be seeing our taxes go up and up for the next 4 years...

Did Billy boy cheat on his wife, over and over? How about JFK? We could go on and on, If you had listened to McCain's ex-wife's story you might see things a little differently..I am not a supporter of adultry, in fact it appalls me, but I know there are times when we all need to know the whole story, you don't nor do I.

You are right, we do not elect someone because of sympathy, that much I will give you. the rest of what you are saying is very debatable...

Nita

Old 10-09-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think there is enough blame to go around, anyone who thinks the republicans created all the problems needs to get their heads out of wherever they have them....
I didn't say it was all the republicans fault. Of course there is plenty of blame to go around. All I'm saying is based on the past 8 years and based on McCains failure to really bring anything markedly different to the table, I think the democrats deserve a chance this term.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
the only good thing I can see about electing Obama, we will get a chance to see how much he can screw up: the bad thing, we will be seeing our taxes go up and up for the next 4 years...
That's true. We already know how bad McCain will screw up. No guess work there. We've been living it for 8 years and McCain has been a republican in congress in a republican administration the entire time. What makes you think he can do anything different now than he's done for the past 8 years, which if the state of the economy is any indication, has not been much.

How do you expect McCain to deliver everything he is promising without (1) raising taxes or (2) Piling on more debt? He has no plans on ending the war in Iraq any time soon, so he can't be counting on that $10B/month. If he has a plan to raise money or create jobs, he's keeping a secret. It is unrealistic to think that the problems we have can be solved without spending money, and that money has to come from somewhere.

McCain's tax plan would tax health benefits. That effects everyone in every economic class. Obama's plan would raise taxes on those who earn over $250,000 and provide decreases for most people who earn under $200,000.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:53 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,671,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
That's true. We already know how bad McCain will screw up. No guess work there. We've been living it for 8 years and McCain has been a republican in congress in a republican administration the entire time. What makes you think he can do anything different now than he's done for the past 8 years, which if the state of the economy is any indication, has not been much.

How do you expect McCain to deliver everything he is promising without (1) raising taxes or (2) Piling on more debt? He has no plans on ending the war in Iraq any time soon, so he can't be counting on that $10B/month. If he has a plan to raise money or create jobs, he's keeping a secret. It is unrealistic to think that the problems we have can be solved without spending money, and that money has to come from somewhere.

McCain's tax plan would tax health benefits. That effects everyone in every economic class. Obama's plan would raise taxes on those who earn over $250,000 and provide decreases for most people who earn under $200,000.

I for one don't trust McCain. He is too much like Bush. I don't trust the republicans either.
It is time to let the Democrats have a chance and lets see what they can do.

The polls show Obama way ahead of McCain. He may be a good guy but when I listen to him talk, I fall asleep.
Obama makes more sense to me.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
I for one don't trust McCain.
Especially when he keeps slinging the same mud that the fact checkers have proven false. I do agree that his proposals seem a little too much like what the current administration would come up with. I think Obama has laid out some proposals that stand a chance and he's provided enough details so that a truly impartial voter interested in better economy and not just voting the party line can see that they stand a chance.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I for one don't trust McCain. He is too much like Bush. I don't trust the republicans either.

The polls show Obama way ahead of McCain. He may be a good guy but when I listen to him talk, I fall asleep.
I too fall asleep or almost, but that isn't a reason to vote for or against someone. If it were HIllary instead of Obama I might even be swayed, but I don't trust Obama and don't know what to expect. At least with Hillary we knew what we would be getting.

Nita

Old 10-10-2008, 04:31 AM

53 posts, read 322,038 times
Quote:

With all due respect, didn't the Democrats take control of congress during the mid-term elections? I believe that they have an approval rating lower than GWB and at their lowest point they were in the single digits.

Prior to the Dems taking congress consumer confidence was at a 2 1/2 year high. Unemployment was at 4.5 percent and the Dow hit a record above $14,000.00
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: