U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 09:16 AM

957 posts, read 3,331,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
Wow, what company was offered multi-million dollar incentives to move overseas?
The government was, and maybe still is, offering huge tax incentives for US companies to move manufacturing overseas. A friend of mine got close to $1m in tax incentives to close 2 of his plastics plants and move them to china. It was common knowledge 8 years ago when they thought the economy was bullet proof.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:23 AM

957 posts, read 3,331,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
all of washington needs to be "cleaned" out and replaced with people that can not be bought or take bribes.
It's not just Washington. Heard on the news that Ford is releasing a new Fiesta diesel that gets 65MPG, but guess what? It won't be available in the US. How much do you think the oil companies paid ford to keep that car out of the US market?

Like it or not, bribes and pay-offs are a big part of corporate America as well as state and local government. That's likely not going to change.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:57 AM

53 posts, read 299,058 times
"The government was, and maybe still is, offering huge tax incentives for US companies to move manufacturing overseas. A friend of mine got close to $1m in tax incentives to close 2 of his plastics plants and move them to china. It was common knowledge 8 years ago when they thought the economy was bullet proof." - rossc

The purpose of business is to make a profit. If I owned a business and the cost of labor and taxes affected my profit, I would move overseas too.
Just like a lot of out of state businesses incorporate in Delaware, because of the tax advantage. Most business are out to make a profit, not provide charity.

I believe Ronald Reagan said that, "Government is not the solution, It's the problem."

"More than ever before, we know the smallness of this planet, and how we are, all of us, citizens of the planet almost as much as we are citizens of any one country. We owe ourselves, the people of this country, a leader of vision and potential greatness, and we owe the people of the world the same. The citizens of virtually every country we consider an ally seem to believe that the man who can and should steer our way through this minefield of disasters is Barack Obama. Are they making my mind up for me? No. Will I be glad to vote for someone who has the potential to raise the opinion of my fellow world citizens regarding our country? Yes, of course."
- annieblue

Personally, I am a citizen of the greatest country in the world, the United States of America. My allegiance is to the USA first and foremost. As part of my profession I took an oath to uphold the laws of this State and protect the Constitution of the United States. I will trust that the American people will elect the person they seem fit to lead this Country based on informed decision, and not on the sentiments of a bunch of spineless Europeans.

And while I too believe that diplomacy should come first, my fear is that Barack will be Jimmy Carter part two. When diplomacy fails, I want a leader that will take action. In my opinion I don't think that Barack is that person.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:06 AM

rossc,

Come on!!! With the Toyota Prius selling like hot cakes in this Country, do you really think Ford does not want to sell that car here?

The problem is that the engine manufacturing plant is in the UK. It would cost billions of dollars to build a plant in the U.S. not to mention the cost in labor. (Thank you U.A.W.)
You can also thank the wacky Greenies that dislike diesel fuel. California is a prime example. They are now just allowing the sale of diesel VWs, which get great gas mileage.

Again, business is meant to make a profit...not hand out charity. It's just not in Ford's best interest to sell the car here because of cost, not because they are in the pocket of the oil companies.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:17 AM

271 posts, read 903,370 times
Baconator, please re-read the paragraph of mine you have quoted. You will note that I ask whether the citizens of other countries are making up my mind for me as to who I will vote for. Note that my answer is "No."

I, too, am a citizen of this wonderful country and I care greatly about its future.

I do not, however, think it wise to insult other people who share this planet with us, especially as I think that many of that "bunch of spineless Europeans" are, in ways that truly count, excellent people.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:32 AM

1,905 posts, read 2,180,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
The government was, and maybe still is, offering huge tax incentives for US companies to move manufacturing overseas. A friend of mine got close to $1m in tax incentives to close 2 of his plastics plants and move them to china. It was common knowledge 8 years ago when they thought the economy was bullet proof.

Great then you can name a company that was given our tax money to move. If you could give us their name, I would like to bring this up with my congressman. After checking the facts of course.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:37 AM

1,905 posts, read 2,180,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
It's not just Washington. Heard on the news that Ford is releasing a new Fiesta diesel that gets 65MPG, but guess what? It won't be available in the US. How much do you think the oil companies paid ford to keep that car out of the US market?

Like it or not, bribes and pay-offs are a big part of corporate America as well as state and local government. That's likely not going to change.
How much?

I heard that it was for two main reasons.

1. American consumers don't like diesel. Other than trucks, they don't sell here.

2. The price of diesel fuel, because of taxes, is much higher than regular gas and thereby reducing some of the mileage advantages.

I had a diesel car once and loved it for what it was and I would consider buying one again...as long as the numbers worked out.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:10 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,381,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
Personally, I am a citizen of the greatest country in the world, the United States of America. My allegiance is to the USA first and foremost.

Baconater, the problem with the USA is the "Bacon-ate-her." Including the baconites who keep sending our jobs overseas.

You're probably not old enough to remember "Buy American" but that really did mean something at one time.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:41 AM

71,969 posts, read 83,640,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
Baconater, the problem with the USA is the "Bacon-ate-her." Including the baconites who keep sending our jobs overseas.

You're probably not old enough to remember "Buy American" but that really did mean something at one time.
ok Tim,

I know I will get hammered for this, but "Buy America" did mean that. Here is the problem: between top management being paid more money in a year than most of us make in a lifetime and unions, especially the union leaders demanding outrageous salaries, buy America doesn't work anymore. Think of it this way: if a telephone can be produced for $1.00 in Asia, but costs $1.25 to produce here, and you are in charge of the phone company where would you prefer to have the product made? Of course you can have it made here, in the USA and pass the extra cost onto the consumer. Do that and consumer isn't very happy. I could go on and on but think I will get out now.

Nita

Old 09-23-2008, 12:11 PM

Tim

I remember the "Buy American" Slogan. If memory serves me correctly it was a labor union slogan and it was also the time of the "K" car. Foreign imports sold well because of cost and quality.
It seems the trend is moving away from manufacturing in this Country because of the cost. Even in customer service, jobs are being routed to foreign countries to handle American complaints. Why? To give the consumer a lower price.
Again, companies are in business to make a profit. If you don't like the practice of a business, don't buy the product.
If you think that taxing companies that send jobs overseas is the answer, who ultimately pays the price? The consumer.
Just like Barack's "Windfall" profits non-sense, the consumer is going to pay.

Annie,

I stand corrected. My apologies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or