Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2008, 04:24 PM

4 posts, read 15,479 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am relocating from NYC to DE. I am looking in the New Castle

area because I was told it would be best, since I plan on communting 1-

3 times a week for work, in NYC. I am looking for SPACE, CLEAN

COMMUNITY,GOOD SCHOOLS, MALL, and close enough to a mall or movie

therater. All this plus the comfort of an afforable HOME.HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 05:30 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,234,699 times
There is a fairly new housing development in Bear called Calvarese Farms. It is located behind Governor's Square Shopping Center. There are some other upscale developments in Bear that are located in the Wrangle Hill area--Routes 71 and 72. I think Calvarese is probably in the Christina District and the others are in Colonial. If your child is a good student, look at Caravel Academy. If private school is not an option, there are charter schools. If you have teenagers, the vo-tech schools are very good. Don't be fooled by the name--St. Georges VoTech is considered one of the best schools in the state and students are prepared for college in all of them.

In another one of your posts, I saw that you were looking for an upscale Black community. You will find that almost all of the developments in NCC are racially mixed. You need to find a realtor, but they cannot legally tell you about the demographics of the community--that includes race, age, religion, etc. They will tell you to drive around and speak with the neighbors, which you should do anyway.

Christiana Mall is very close, as is Prices Corner and Christina Crossing. Peoples Plaza has a movie theatre. While it isn't NYC, you will find almost everything in NCC.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:20 PM

4 posts, read 15,479 times
Thank You so much, I was not really serious about a black community I was being facetious due to something I read. I do want a upscale community an good schools, that have great after school programs, sports etc. I really want a roomy house SPACE SPACE, a break from all this cramp city living. Thanks again.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:50 AM

53 posts, read 320,938 times
If you plan on sending your children to public school, avoid the Colonial or Christiana school district. Consider Red Clay or Brandywine.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:09 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,234,699 times
I have to disagree with Baconator to some degree. There are excellent schools in both Colonial and Christina. If your child/children are in elementary, Wrangle Hill (now Kathy Wilburn) and Southern are considered excellent. In Christina, Keene Elementary is also considered excellent. As far as high school, William Penn in Colonial does not live up to its reputation of being a bad school. They win the Delaware Sportsmanship Award every year and their coaches expect good citizens from their athletes. There are many achievers at WP. The population, which is extremely diverse in Colonial, prepares students for real life. To the best of my knowledge, there has never been a serious incident at any of the Colonial schools. Colonial supports after-school activities, and offers every opportunity for students to achieve. I have friends who work in the Christina District and I know there are problems. If you read this morning's newspaper, a staff member was raped by a student at Dickenson (Red Clay). This student was a known offender and should not have been in a regular school. Unfortunately, this can happen anywhere, even private schools. However, a good education can be found at any school if your children want to learn. The schools that you choose as a parent should fit your child's goals and personality. My suggestion to anyone moving to the area is to visit schools unannounced and have someone walk you through the hallways. Talk to teachers and students and get a feel for the school.

Last edited by SXMGirl; 09-25-2008 at 08:52 AM..

Old 04-04-2013, 02:39 AM

6 posts, read 13,411 times
can anyone tell me about these places as im looking for a reasonable apt. Easton md Cambridge md, and seaford de. ty so much for any info you can give me, and where not to move there. diana

Old 04-05-2013, 02:09 PM

5 posts, read 27,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happywoman127 View Post
can anyone tell me about these places as im looking for a reasonable apt. Easton md Cambridge md, and seaford de. ty so much for any info you can give me, and where not to move there. diana
I can tell you about Seaford, since I grew up there for twenty years. What would you like to know in particular?

Old 04-08-2013, 02:48 PM

2,045 posts, read 2,133,596 times
I wouldn't recommend Bear - only because for you, it's a little far removed from both the interstate and any train stations. There's no reason to live in Bear if you're commuting to NY. And, frankly, Colonial and Christina school districts are, while not bad at all, not as good as Brandywine and Red Clay. (I came up in the Brandywine district and used to teach for the Christina district).

I would recommend the western half of North Wilmington, close to rt 202. Or, if you can afford it, Greenville, which is to the west of Wilmington and won't put you far from I-95 or the train station. Plenty of big, big houses. But if you're more middle class than wealthy, there are plenty of spacious and not million-dollar houses in north Wilmington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware