Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2007, 10:38 AM

823 posts, read 3,688,129 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about adding DE to our list of possible states to retire to (along with SC, NM & AZ). We live on Long Island, NY. One of our prime concerns is weather conditions. We do not want an area that gets hit by hurricanes or torandos and where the winters are tolerable with a minimum mount of snow. We also do not want a place that has extremely humid summers.

We would like not to pay more than $250,00 for a home but would go up to $275,ooo if we have to. We also want to be near good medical facilities and decent shopping. having a college not to far away would be a plus for the cultural life.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 01:36 PM

669 posts, read 3,192,840 times
Wilmington, DE has such home prices, probably, and has some colleges nearby, as well as shopping.

However, the humidity would be the hard part. Okay, it's not exactly Florida, but it's pretty sticky in summer. I live only like 20 miles from Wilmington so the climate is basically exactly the same here. I will tell you one thing--we don't have a lot of "perfect" days. It tends to be either too hot, too cold, too windy, or too something else. There's not many days when you step outside and feel perfect.

As for snow, this year it seems we've escaped, but in general, the area gets 15" or so a year. Not terribly much, but something to think about. Usually two good storms.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:36 AM

823 posts, read 3,688,129 times
Default bmurphy

Thanks for the info. It sounds like DE isn't the place for us.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,783 times
Very hot/humid summers. Sometimes very snowy winters, always cold.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:50 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Smile but-

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
Thanks for the info. It sounds like DE isn't the place for us.

At least you would still be near the ocean. They have decent shopping. Stay out of Tenn. major boredom!

sunny

Old 03-25-2007, 07:41 AM

1 posts, read 4,606 times
Where Are you from on Long Island? We too are looking at Delaware as a place to retire in a couple of years. As you know it would not be easy to retire on Long Island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
We are thinking about adding DE to our list of possible states to retire to (along with SC, NM & AZ). We live on Long Island, NY. One of our prime concerns is weather conditions. We do not want an area that gets hit by hurricanes or torandos and where the winters are tolerable with a minimum mount of snow. We also do not want a place that has extremely humid summers.

We would like not to pay more than $250,00 for a home but would go up to $275,ooo if we have to. We also want to be near good medical facilities and decent shopping. having a college not to far away would be a plus for the cultural life.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:39 PM

43 posts, read 142,967 times
DE is a great state with close proximity to beaches, big cities (Philly, D.C., etc.) and best of both...city (Wilmington/Newark) and country (Sussex County). However, the summers are very humid. The winters are dying off....not a lot of snow anymore. It can be quite windy and bitter but not nec. harsh like in the midwest. Also tax-free. That's a plus. I'm a native...lived here all my life (31 years)

Old 03-26-2007, 02:52 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,433,651 times
I have been to several states to find out more bout areas for possible job locations and what I had experienced in all areas was alot of critizm from people who do not like where they live and tell me to not live there, I have to wonder if the country is going to pot here or people are just depressed or both here, its really scary as I am hoping there is something positive bout this state, something! Or somewhere else, cause I get the same messages no matter what state or town or city I look into, its not safe, drug infested and bad schools!

Old 04-20-2007, 08:56 AM

199 posts, read 938,152 times
Norm:

You mentioned AZ as a potential retirement location. My wife and I are MD transplants (born and raised) and retired to AZ in 2002. We live in the town of Fountain Hills, east of Phoenix and Scottsdale. The entire greater Phoenix area is considered "the valley". Some pluses:
WX - temps rarely below 32; no snow; little rain (if you like that); no tornados; no hurricanes; no earthquakes; generally low humidity.
Prop Taxes - still reasonable, but heading up
State Income Taxes - reasonable
Medical care - plenty
Colleges - plenty (ASU is in Tempe)

Minuses:
WX - eventhough the humidity is generally low, May-Sept. heat can be brutal.
100 plus most of the summer. Monsoon season during these months can bring strong winds and heavy rains that cause local flooding in low lying areas.
Traffic Congestion - If you don't have to go to work you can watch the mess on TV. Otherwise it can remind you of the LA area. For years, AZ has had a love affair with developers who will build anything anywhere where there is a vacant piece of land. Hence, the state is one of the fastest growing in the country. The state and counties can't keep up with the infastructure to accomodate the influx.
Housing Prices - Going through the roof.
Sales Taxes (state and local) - In our area it's almost 10 percent (Delaware is 0 percent)

Having said all that, AZ is a large state encompassing desert areas and mountains. You can find pretty much any kind of climate (Flagstaff, a three and a half-hour drive north of us gets an average of 84 inches of snow a year). If AZ is one of your picks, I would recommend you do a lot of research, because like I said, it's a big state with plenty of variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware