U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 09:25 PM

12 posts, read 35,813 times

Advertisements

Need to move to start work at UD (Research Post) by Nov. 1st week. PL HELP !!

Moving from upper mid west cold country with my family of 5.
Have 2 school aged kids Gr 3 and K.

We are looking for an apt. 3BR, around $800-1100.

I have seen 2 options; stay in Newark bit away from the UD or commute from near the state line in Elkton, MD. (How are the elem. schools in Elkton?)

If living in MD and work at UD....do u need to pay dbl state tax, MD+DE ???

As for apts. the two option I found is that either stay in a big apt. complex and pay about $1100, heat,water, and trash included. OR
Stay at a town home style complex pay about $900 but need to pay for the rest. How much would that 'extra' heat/water/trash cost for a 3BR unit? any estimates are welcome?

And for the big apt complexes option, can someone suggest a good place near to a good public elem. school in Newark?

I know some others went through the same experience as mine in the past and hope you would help me with what you learned with your move to Newark.

Thanks much in advance !

NF

Last edited by NuvFdo; 10-04-2008 at 09:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 09:53 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,260,566 times
Since your children are small, public school is not a concern. I would suggest renting near Keane Elementary School, which is a newer school on Route 40 in the YMCA complex and across from Glasgow Park. Lots of things for the kids to do and close to shopping. About 8 miles from UD, either on Route 896 or Route 72. Easy drive for either. You should be able to rent a 3-bedroom apartment for about $1,000, give or take. Home rentals are a little more, but would give you more privacy.

I don't know that much about Elkton schools. I do have a friend whose child attended first grade in Elkton and she was not pleased. However, she might just have been homesick for Delaware (all of 3 miles). Her daughter is now in 3rd grade at Keane and she is very pleased. It has a very good reputation.

The Saturday edition of the News Journal has an excellent insert for real estate and lists apartment rentals in good detail.

If you let me know exactly what you think you are looking for, I will try to help. I saw a rental ad for Sparrow Run in today's paper. STAY AWAY FROM SPARROW RUN. DON'T EVEN LOOK THERE.

I will say that Elkton seems like a nice little town and there are apartments in both Newark and Elkton that are very nice--Elkton Road area. However, I think that I would stay in Delaware. Just personal preference.

Let me know what other info you need. I'll provide what info that I can.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:13 PM

Thanks SXMG

Well, I was told I have no option but need to rent 3BR, cos family of 5 !

'cos of the little ones running around I m bit worried about upstairs apts. with hardwood floors.

Autumn Park apts (Ex Chelsea) at 41 Winterhaven Dr. said they have 3BR upstairs with cement floors. How is that area? and Henry Brader elem school there?

Old 10-04-2008, 10:32 PM

I believe that Autumn Park is behind Four Seasons Shopping Center. I really don't know that much about that area. Brader gets good reviews. I don't think you have much to worry about with elementary. It's middle and high school that brings on the concern with the Christina District. The best advice is to drive through there and get a feel for the area. It doesn't sound like you have much time.

If you are planning to stay in this area, you will have the opportunity to look around for a good fit if Autumn Park doesn't fit your needs.

The Four Seasons Shopping Center has a grocery (Super Fresh), Happy Harry's (drugstore now owned by Walgreens), several other shops and restaurants, and across the street on the same side is La Casa Pasta, a well-known Italian restaurant. There is also a 7-11 right there. You will be close to BJ's (no gas station at that one) and in walking distance of UD's fireworks on the 4th. You will be fairly close to Iron Hill Park (iffy reputation but they are cleaning it up)--take the kids to Glasgow Park instead. Route 896, which you will technically be living on, has everything and Main Street in Newark has good restaurants. Kirkwood Highway has lots of shopping and restaurants also.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:34 PM

2 posts, read 13,063 times
Commuting in or out of Newark isn't difficult at all, even during rush hour. That being said, I wouldn't touch anything around Elkton with a ten foot pole (and this is the kicker) if you plan on sending your kids to the public schools. This includes North East, Perryville, and Charlestown. If you want good public schools, you're going to have to look at Chester Co., PA.

There are some private school options. Newark Charter and The New School are both on Elkton Road, about half of a mile away from the UofD campus. Newark Charter has a great reputation and TNS, even if it is a little odd, is something to look into. I can't speak for any of the Catholic schools, but I know they are out there as well.

You should be able to rent a small house in that price range. Rentals are going for $850 - $1000 in Cecil Co., I don't know about apartments though.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:18 AM

NuvFdo, Autumn Park is having a December rent free special.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:02 AM

53 posts, read 299,041 times
Stay Away from Autumn Park. Lots of Thugs.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:03 PM

Default Harbour Club

Thugs? they commonly roam around the apt complex 'actually' intimidating ppl or you just generalized it to the neighborhood ?

anyways, let me have some feedback on the Harbour Club Apts. Near Christina Hospital (N Harmony & O'town Stanton Rd)
and also about Gallaher Elementary near there.

Thanks

Old 10-05-2008, 01:03 PM

Anytime you move into an apartment complex, or a neighborhood for that matter, you will be living around all types of people. That may include people who you would not invite in for a visit. Autumn Park's advertisement states that it is under new ownership. If they have had problems in the past, maybe they are over. The best way to check on a neighborhood would be to drive into the complex and ask the neighbors. I don't know if the police will give info anymore.

I really don't think you will have a problem with public elementary schools in the Newark area. However, if you can get your children into a charter school, you will probably be happier.

Delaware Department
of Education
Newark Charter School | 2001 Patriot Way | Newark, Delaware 19711
phone 302 369 2001 | fax 302 368 3460 |
e-mail gmeece@ncs.k12.de.us

Old 10-05-2008, 02:36 PM

53 posts, read 299,041 times
Negative on Harbor Club and Autumn Park. I know Autumn Park is under new management, but that still has not changed the problems over there. Trust me you will regret living there. Drugs and wanna be gangstas. Glasgow High School is across the street from Autumn Park. There have been problems of kids cutting school and braking into houses. How do I know? Because it's my business to deal with those problems.
I would suggest St. Andrews or Rockwood Apartments. It's a little more pricey, but it keeps out the riff raff. Also consider Village of Barretts Run.

Avoid:
Hunter's Crossing aka Admiral's Club
Iron Hill Apartments and the other apartment in that complex (forgot the name).
Towne Court, Park Place, or anywhere near the campus.

Research and post here. We will let you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware