U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Unread 10-12-2008, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Greenville, Delaware
4,434 posts, read 5,363,479 times
Reputation: 2106
Good grief, Northern Delaware (northwest of Wilmington) is beautiful. As far as transportation, you're 30 minutes from an international airport if you live in northern New Castle County, and Amtrak service from Wilmington will get you to NYC in an hour and a half, same time to DC, less to Baltimore, longer to Providence or Boston. I take the train several times a year -- it's great. I avoid I-95, but it's a reasonably easy drive up to Philly. Sidewalks are hardly nonexistant here! The beaches are reasonably easy to get to. Yes, it isn't the most exciting place in the world, but is the glass half empty or half full?
Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 10-12-2008, 01:03 PM
Status: "spring is peaking here and there......." (set 15 days ago)
 
15,445 posts, read 6,994,574 times
Reputation: 28031
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Good grief, Northern Delaware (northwest of Wilmington) is beautiful. As far as transportation, you're 30 minutes from an international airport if you live in northern New Castle County, and Amtrak service from Wilmington will get you to NYC in an hour and a half, same time to DC, less to Baltimore, longer to Providence or Boston. I take the train several times a year -- it's great. I avoid I-95, but it's a reasonably easy drive up to Philly. Sidewalks are hardly nonexistant here! The beaches are reasonably easy to get to. Yes, it isn't the most exciting place in the world, but is the glass half empty or half full?
We live in central de and it is not a beautiful as northern. Also, we need a car. Not easy access to public transportation down here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-12-2008, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Greenville, Delaware
4,434 posts, read 5,363,479 times
Reputation: 2106
Possibly a good argument for not moving to Kent or Sussex. I think for those counties to work, you have to really be a homebody or a beachbum, a country girl/boy or a surfer dude/chick. If that's not the case, better stay away from middle and lower DE.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Status: "spring is peaking here and there......." (set 15 days ago)
 
15,445 posts, read 6,994,574 times
Reputation: 28031
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Possibly a good argument for not moving to Kent or Sussex. I think for those counties to work, you have to really be a homebody or a beachbum, a country girl/boy or a surfer dude/chick. If that's not the case, better stay away from middle and lower DE.
Yes, it is not for everyone but it is great for retirement. Close to the beaches. We drive down all year and we are only a half hour from the beach.
We have friends that own boats, bowling, movies,shopping , dining out and day trips here and there.
We're retired and living the good life.
Nice place to retire if you don't have to rely on a job or excitment in every day life.
This is better for the old tinker. LOL
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-12-2008, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
50 posts, read 53,794 times
Reputation: 45
These posts are cracking me up. Unless you move to a huge city i.e. New York, LA, etc. all places are somewhat the same. I grew up in Delaware and now live near Knoxville, TN, I still miss home. Home is where your friends and family are. Not that it's not nice where I live now, but you don't know about conservative until you live in a place like Delaware (which is essentially a suburb of Philly) and then move to the south. I would venture to say that most places are, as someone put it, like living in Kent or Sussex County. Many places in the U.S. are not near a huge, progressive city. Most are just areas where you need a car to do anything and people have lived there their whole life and marry someone from their high school or a nearby school. I just think it's funny that people view Delaware as boring. Really it's not any more boring than any other place. It's what you do with your time that makes things boring, not necessarily where you live. Only in big cities is it possible to walk everywhere or use public transportation. I think it's funny that people kind of make fun of Delaware and yet, it is more progressive then many areas. Where I live is still about 10 or more years behind "boring" Delaware. Also, there is a myth in this country, the south is not so friendly. It is no more friendly then people in Delaware. I think again, it is more about who you and what kind of person you are then where you live.

Last edited by mrsbrad04; 10-12-2008 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: typing faster then my brain is thinking!
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-12-2008, 02:55 PM
 
Location: rural North Carolina
256 posts, read 384,134 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbrad04 View Post
Unless you move to a huge city i.e. New York, LA, etc. all places are somewhat the same... Home is where your friends and family are.
Somewhat depends. There are significant differences between any two areas the further away they get from each other. While there are some similarities between Wilmington DE and Knoxville, I would bet that the differences are greater. I would also bet that the differences grow the further south and west you go. Granted the differences within the USA are much less than between two cities in the UK or Germany, but there are some significant differences that exist that affect why people would want to come - or leave the First State.

Back to the original poster... She's a local that is itching to leave and see the world - and there's nothing wrong with that. However why she wants to leave says more about her than it does Delaware. She'd be saying the same thing no matter where she grew up.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-12-2008, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Out of DE (ha!)
29 posts, read 89,580 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskirwin View Post
Back to the original poster... She's a local that is itching to leave and see the world - and there's nothing wrong with that. However why she wants to leave says more about her than it does Delaware. She'd be saying the same thing no matter where she grew up.
Not so sure about that one, Bub!

I suspect that if I grew up in a place like NY, DC--heck anyplace with theatres, live shows, and cultural events--I wouldn't have felt as though I was missing out on "the real world".

As pointed out, there was no public transportation (not an issue for me), and the extent of your teenage entertainment was the one-story mall and/or movie theatre.

The problem is that as a child I had an opportunity to take a peek at life outside of DE--something many people never had a chance to do believe it or not. Therefore, they were content with the status quo--while I knew a lot was lacking.

In any event, the purpose of this thread was to find out why others left the First State--not have people attempt to challenge my youthful rationale.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-12-2008, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Out of DE (ha!)
29 posts, read 89,580 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbrad04 View Post
These posts are cracking me up. Unless you move to a huge city i.e. New York, LA, etc. all places are somewhat the same. I grew up in Delaware and now live near Knoxville, TN, I still miss home. Home is where your friends and family are. Not that it's not nice where I live now, but you don't know about conservative until you live in a place like Delaware (which is essentially a suburb of Philly) and then move to the south. I would venture to say that most places are, as someone put it, like living in Kent or Sussex County. Many places in the U.S. are not near a huge, progressive city. Most are just areas where you need a car to do anything and people have lived there their whole life and marry someone from their high school or a nearby school. I just think it's funny that people view Delaware as boring. Really it's not any more boring than any other place. It's what you do with your time that makes things boring, not necessarily where you live. Only in big cities is it possible to walk everywhere or use public transportation. I think it's funny that people kind of make fun of Delaware and yet, it is more progressive then many areas. Where I live is still about 10 or more years behind "boring" Delaware. Also, there is a myth in this country, the south is not so friendly. It is no more friendly then people in Delaware. I think again, it is more about who you and what kind of person you are then where you live.
Many places ARE near huge, progressive cities. Most parts of Virginia and Maryland, for example, are considered suburbs of DC, which puts them just 15 minutes or so away from some of the most exciting theatres, shows, museums, and cultural events in the country. And many cities like Baltimore and Boston contain their own excitement.
I've been around the world--a few times over--and I must respectfully disagree that everything's the same all over and that it's what you do with your time. Sorry, but if there are no museums, theatres, cultural events, gourmet dining, etc your time is spent being BORED.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-12-2008, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Out of DE (ha!)
29 posts, read 89,580 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswood View Post
So the question is where did you move to? I am one of those young people with kids that want more. I need to move to a place that has things going on and more to do then just drink and go to the movies. The summer is great, but after that it is so boring! Help....I need help with a place to move!

I moved to Miami a few years back for a short period of time and realized I needed my degree in order to survive. That is the only reason I came back to DE.

Now I want to move, but do not want to be 18 hours away from home. I have been thinking of NJ (suburb of NY), Charlotte NC, Atlanta. I need somewhere safe as I am a teacher and I do have a daughter. HELPPPPP!!!!!!
All of the places you mentioned sound like great choices. You can have suburban living with the fun and diversity of a major city.

New England is also great! The place has a wonderful, laid back vibe. It is the home of many of the Ivies and have some of the brightest but most down-to-earth people on the East Coast. Furthermore, they have lots of cultural events, museums, theatres, live shows, and malls.

Growing up in DE, I am not a city person at heart and need to live in a suburb. However, I must have diversity and excitement a progressive city has to offer at my fingertips--or within a decent drive.

Let me know what you decide.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Status: "spring is peaking here and there......." (set 15 days ago)
 
15,445 posts, read 6,994,574 times
Reputation: 28031
Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. not everyone will agree on this topic.

I do understyand where you are coming from Karen. Like I said, as a young person, I would find DE to be boring.

All are different. I noticed there are a lot of farms in the area and I"m sure it was mostly farm life in central and southern DE for years.

Getting a little more built up although I'm not sure why.

I can understand seniors moving to de. I read where De is becoming the new florida.

Some don't like this but it is happening just the same.

It is good to explore and find out where it is you want to be. Then again, some are quite content to be where they are.

to each his own.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top