Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2011, 12:32 AM

80 posts, read 196,163 times

Advertisements

We stopped by Slaughter for a walk on the beach before heading home to PA from our Milton ther: house on Sunday. Weird thing. We drove into the fire department parking lot, parked, walked to the beach, immediately noticed the EXTREME LOW TIDE. The water was so far off the beach. Birds were standing in the water 250 feet from us. We found 10 conch shells in less than 5 minutes? We had no bag to collect them so we had to stop w/ 10. They were all empty. Why was the Tide sooooooooooooo low? Was very eerie.........never EVER in all my beach years have I seen this?

question is? is this normal? or was there something astrologically goin on?

Thanks
PS. Love that beach area...............so quiet.................so serene.............so heaven like. Would love to spend a weekend there in a bayfront home....................SERENITY~!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 05:47 AM

9,681 posts, read 14,153,430 times
Morning, happy!
That's the way I've always remembered that beach, for the last 50 years. Low tide really gets low! And there are lots of shells and interesting things washed up on the beach. Glad you enjoyed it there; we always have. The Lighthouse Restaurant was at the north end, but it burned a few years ago.

Last year, we were all ready to buy a place right on the Bay at Slaughter's Beach, an estate sale. Unfortunately, we couldn't work the details out with the family. As far as buying a beach property goes, Slaughter Beach beats all, as far as we're concerned. It's been a well kept secret (until now, I guess)

Old 11-25-2011, 06:45 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,007,848 times
No secret for me. I discovered Slaughter Beach in one of my earliest trips to Delaware and also learned about the importance of caring for the horseshoe crabs.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:48 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,376,393 times
If there was a full moon or new moon occurring during the time of your visit, then that would cause the extreme low tides. full/new moons cause great tidal pulls. extreme highs and lows.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:14 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,961,502 times
Sounds like it was very pretty. Wish I was there right now.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:10 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,124,290 times
im not sure why but i lived on long island sound as a child and i do remember one time the tide was so low i could see sand bars for what seemed liked forever - i started walking out and was quite far out when i could that damn bell my parents would ring that meant get your butt back in here LOL - it was an amazing sight but im sorry i dont know the reason for it happening

Old 12-04-2011, 07:16 PM

9,681 posts, read 14,153,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
im not sure why but i lived on long island sound as a child and i do remember one time the tide was so low i could see sand bars for what seemed liked forever - i started walking out and was quite far out when i could that damn bell my parents would ring that meant get your butt back in here LOL - it was an amazing sight but im sorry i dont know the reason for it happening
Pretty funny....the bell! LOL

Old 12-04-2011, 07:55 PM

80 posts, read 196,163 times
Just spiffied up all those shells today!~ All cleaned and ready to return to my "other home" in Milton DE! thanks all. I think I am a going to try to go up there at full moon sometime and see how the tide is then. Very interesting.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:03 PM

388 posts, read 993,596 times
If you go to www.saltwatertides.com and type in your river emptying in to the DE bay, you can find out your highs and lows. I had a beautiful hand-painted tides clock from when I lived in ME and now I use it to keep track here! I use the Murderkill River which seems to be the closest to Bowers Beach, where we live near.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware