U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 02:27 PM

11,785 posts, read 26,703,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonrDE View Post
Caesar Rodney is where I went to high school and I loved it! Not sure how old you are or if you have kids or anything but as far as nightlife I can give you plenty of answers on that issue. If you have any questions on nightlife or culture I can help you but as far as house prices...no idea as I lived with my parents the whole time I lived there

But as for some of your questions--
To the beach...About 30-45 minutes to the beginning of the beaches in good traffic so its not bad at all
To the mountains...Ahh, you have got western Maryland and then up north in PA. Last time I drove to the Poconos to snowboard it was about 2.5 hours I believe
Parks...this is really something we lack. You have silver lake in Dover which is ok to take a run or fish. Killonds pond right outside of Felton has a waterpark and a large park and lake which is pretty cool.
Nightlife...Dover Downs and gamble a little, Bubbas and Loockerman exchange are were I usually hang out. People are usually friendly everywhere here. There are no real upidity attitudes or people who think they are too good for you from what I have seen

After being in DE for my whole life im living in St. Louis for 6 months so its obvioulsy a little different here but I really miss DE.

LOL, we are from the Poconos. Any clubs/bars for the late 30's crowd with hip-hop, Reggae and R&B?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 02:56 PM

36 posts, read 88,354 times
You would like Bubbas on the weekend. Thursday night is usually just all us college kids. They have a decent dance floor though and the DJ is usually pretty good but they also have live bands alot that are pretty good. You might also like Irish Mikes which is more of an Irish pub with pool tables. Loockerman always has a good DJ and is a little classier ( Dancefloor as well). Oh I have never been there but there is Fire and Ice in Dover Downs which is a more upscale club. I have never been but someone on here may have been. Generally all last year the only time I went to bars was Thursdays for college night. I would recommend Doc Mogragons too. I worked there and it was pretty good for a more mature crowd every night

Old 07-27-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonrDE View Post
You would like Bubbas on the weekend. Thursday night is usually just all us college kids. They have a decent dance floor though and the DJ is usually pretty good but they also have live bands alot that are pretty good. You might also like Irish Mikes which is more of an Irish pub with pool tables. Loockerman always has a good DJ and is a little classier ( Dancefloor as well). Oh I have never been there but there is Fire and Ice in Dover Downs which is a more upscale club. I have never been but someone on here may have been. Generally all last year the only time I went to bars was Thursdays for college night. I would recommend Doc Mogragons too. I worked there and it was pretty good for a more mature crowd every night
Thanks! Are some of the places 18 and up? Not that I'm a night owl, but do things stay open til a decent time, not close at 9PM? Also, any good flea markets that you might know about? Do they have festivals or fairs? How about holiday events? (Halloween, Christmas, etc)

Old 07-28-2009, 06:23 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,546,161 times
Spences bazzar over by Kent General is a rather large flea market. They also have a building with great food as well.
A lot of Amish meats are sold.
You can eat there or take home.
I particular like the scented stones one lady sells. With 3 cats, I don't light candels much and this is the next best thing.
If you like nostalgia..........they have plenty of that too.

Another market in Laurel DE called Route 13 market.
Bargin Bills isn't far from that one but I didn't care for bargin bill at all.

We have a state fair going on now in Harrington........till the end of the week..I think.
Peach festival in Dover coming soon.
I like to take my grand daughter over to Fifers Orchard during the fall. They have hayrides, mazes, pumpkin painting. you can go to Fifers website.
Sept we are going to a PowWow in Oak Orchard. Nanititoke indians have a pow wow one weekend in sept.
We are in Kent county and so close to Baltimore, philly and DC. Sat we're going to the Baltimore Harbor for the day.

We don't do the night life but I'm sure there are places the young people like to hang out.
Being so close to the beaches.........there is always a lot of stuff going on down there.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:30 AM

36 posts, read 88,354 times
18 to enter...None
Closing time...1 a.m. (cant serve alcohol after 1)
Festivals etc...In Dover there is the St. Pattys Day parade, there are Dover Days in May which is pretty cool, 4th of July fireworks on the Green, State Fair, as above the Peach Festival which his interesting, Wesley College holds a homecoming parade and they have street festivals sometimes
Flea...Spences Bazaar is the place. Its got a good amount of stuff( usuall junk) but its cool to look around. They have really good food inside

If you dont mind me asking is it just you relocating and why ?
The beach is definitly where most of my summer was always spent.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:51 AM

What do the flea markets sell? Is it old and new stuff? Specifically, cell phone cases, sunglasses, clothes, used video games and DVD's.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:54 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,546,161 times
Everything Beckycat.......new, old, antiques, music, furniture even stop signs and stop lights. LOL
Gotta go there.
spences bazzar.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
Everything Beckycat.......new, old, antiques, music, furniture even stop signs and stop lights. LOL
Gotta go there.
spences bazzar.
I saw that's it's only Tuesday and Friday. Is that true? Anything on the weekend?

Old 07-31-2009, 01:34 PM

3 posts, read 9,384 times
beckycat ........ nope thats it on Spences . You gotta try some of the food

Old 08-01-2009, 06:06 AM

84 posts, read 302,252 times
I think Spences is now open on Saturday and there is a Farmers Market in Middletown also.

You can find decent homes in this area around $150,000 now. Depends on which area you want to be in, you can find them less than that. Generally anything under $100,000 is going to need work. With the USDA, if you qualify, you can get more for your money because of no PMI. Also, Delaware has programs to help with closing costs if needed.

I'm originally from MD and my husband is from PA. We love it here and plan to retire here after he retires from the Air Force. We've been here a total of 8 years. We love being 45 minutes from the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware