U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 05:19 AM

2 posts, read 8,080 times

Advertisements

I would really like to know the location of reasonable priced adult communities in Delaware... not the expensive ones.. we want to find a lower living expense, not higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 05:55 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,564,681 times
Hi Nancy

There are quite a few in DE. I posted the link for you below. Some less expensive ones are not on this listing and I'm not sure what you consider Less expensive? Or If you want to own the land or lease the land.
We have several threads on topic that should be informative.

55+ Communities
Land Leasing versus Owning the land

Check "Welcome to De" thread Where Christiana has them posted. You'll be one click away.

55+ Active Adult, Age Restricted & Active Lifestyle Communities DE ...New and Resale Active Adult or 55+ Communities in DELAWARE For a List of Newly Added Delaware Active Communities Scroll to Bottom of Page ...
activeadultliving.com/DE/delaware.htm - 63k -

In addition to these there are two that I heard of that are cheaper.
Hight Point 55+ communitie on Clamphan Road
and
Sussex West in Lewes De.

Good luck.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:21 AM

693 posts, read 2,616,870 times
Thought I'd inject my 2 cents here. My husband and I are eligible for a + 55 but live instead in a single family neighborhood. Someday, our home will be too much for us to care for. In the future,we are considering a + 55 for several reasons. Please realize this lifestyle is not for everyone.

First of all people aged 55 and over are not elderly. These communities are geared towards active adults. They have pools , tennis courts, social activities, computer rooms. libraries well the list goes on and on.

Unfortunately and sadly, there are many baby boomers that for some reason or another do not have the pleasure of visits from grandchildren. Either they don't have them or they are separated by distance. These communities are geared towards these otherwise isolated individuals and the concept is to keep them in good physical condition as everything is at their fingertips. You have the amenities of a resort right in your own back yard. The social aspect is the biggest plus for those newly retired and affords them the opportunity to develop friendships.

The key to + 55 communities is to find the best fit for you. Check your bottom line costs. Be careful of lot rents as you might be better off with having a tax cushion by owning the land. Taxes in DE are very reasonable so why not take advantage of that. The monthly fees vary considerably. Make sure you allow for future inflation of these costs.

I am not a realtor, just thought I'd share another point of view.

Thank you.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:58 AM

4,132 posts, read 13,315,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
Thought I'd inject my 2 cents here. My husband and I are eligible for a + 55 but live instead in a single family neighborhood. Someday, our home will be too much for us to care for. In the future,we are considering a + 55 for several reasons. Please realize this lifestyle is not for everyone.

First of all people aged 55 and over are not elderly. These communities are geared towards active adults. They have pools , tennis courts, social activities, computer rooms. libraries well the list goes on and on.

Unfortunately and sadly, there are many baby boomers that for some reason or another do not have the pleasure of visits from grandchildren. Either they don't have them or they are separated by distance. These communities are geared towards these otherwise isolated individuals and the concept is to keep them in good physical condition as everything is at their fingertips. You have the amenities of a resort right in your own back yard. The social aspect is the biggest plus for those newly retired and affords them the opportunity to develop friendships.

The key to + 55 communities is to find the best fit for you. Check your bottom line costs. Be careful of lot rents as you might be better off with having a tax cushion by owning the land. Taxes in DE are very reasonable so why not take advantage of that. The monthly fees vary considerably. Make sure you allow for future inflation of these costs.

I am not a realtor, just thought I'd share another point of view.

Thank you.
True, not everyone has grandchildren or grandchildren in the area, 55+ communities are not for everyone and we too are on the fence about them, when the time comes. They are very convenient and there's a lot of social activities which are important in moving from another state, esp. if one doesnt know anyone, they're a good way to meet people and make friends but OTOH, you don't get much privacy. Some 55+ communities can be cliquey and perhaps too social but like anything else, how active you want to be is solely up to you. We have friends and relatives who moved to them who for the most part, are very happy there, the convenience is a huge plus (banks, churches, restaurants, gyms, pools, golf, med facilities, woodworking rooms and computer rooms, to name a few, are all right there). And in one of their cases, the 55+ comm. is about 10 min. away from their children and teen grandchildren so they see quite a bit of them throughout the year. So it's really an individual decision, what is good for one person may not be good for the next.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:54 PM

We have lived in a 55+ community for almost 2 years now and no regrets. You can socialize if you wish but you don't have to.
It is up to you as to what you want to do. Some of our residents work and some don't. Some go to Florida in the winter and some don't.
We have people in our community that keep to themselves and others that are always socializing.
What I like is we all relate to each and have more in common.

My kids live in other states and who knows for how long so we don't see them much anyway.
However, when they come, they stay for a few weeks at a time with no problem.

With being retired and no job, I can hop in the car or on a plane and fly to visit them.
It works out great for us and we are very happy.

Different strokes for different folks. The trick is to know what is right for you.

This living is not for everyone and God forbid if we were all the same.

Gotta get ready for our community Halloween party. Going to be fun!!

Last edited by elizamary; 10-17-2008 at 02:10 PM..

Old 10-17-2008, 02:38 PM

13,320 posts, read 20,145,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
True, not everyone has grandchildren or grandchildren in the area, 55+ communities are not for everyone and we too are on the fence about them, when the time comes. They are very convenient and there's a lot of social activities which are important in moving from another state, esp. if one doesnt know anyone, they're a good way to meet people and make friends but OTOH, you don't get much privacy. Some 55+ communities can be cliquey and perhaps too social but like anything else, how active you want to be is solely up to you. We have friends and relatives who moved to them who for the most part, are very happy there, the convenience is a huge plus (banks, churches, restaurants, gyms, pools, golf, med facilities, woodworking rooms and computer rooms, to name a few, are all right there). And in one of their cases, the 55+ comm. is about 10 min. away from their children and teen grandchildren so they see quite a bit of them throughout the year. So it's really an individual decision, what is good for one person may not be good for the next.
One thing quite interesting though is that you can have all the fun and amenities in a regular all age community. You don't need a specific 55+ community to have all the fun and festivities.

When I am at Oceanside Village in Myrtle Beach, all ages are allowed.
There still is the outdoor pools, indoor pool, library, exercise room, and all those types of enjoyable things. Just like the communities in DE.

There are community breakfasts, lots of dances, and lots of entertainment at the club. So even though it is for all ages, it still has the needs of someone older. The grass is cut, the grounds are taken care of by people other then you.

I have to note that Oceanside is a land lease, so I won't buy there.We do have a grand group of Northerners who show up every winter to be next door to the ocean and to have some fantastic fun. I have gained many Vermont, New Hampshire, New York and Virginia and W. Virginia ( amongst other state) friends. Taking the golf carts to the ocean is a joy felt by most of the OSVillage people.

I know everyone feels their own way about their preferences in life surroundings. The OP seemed to want to know all sides of the information and I hope everyones input has sincerely helped.

Do 55+ if you read the rules and can abide by them and if you don't mind
the "usual" 30 day limit on a grandchild ( or others) staying overnight.
Check into wording on your leased or owned land.

Do All Age...If again you read their rules. You don't mind kids around.
There is not a rule generally that your guests have a time limit.
Check into wording on your leased or owned land.

In general, both will have fun things to do...both types will keep you entertained.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:17 PM

377 posts, read 880,566 times
Default 55+ is definitely for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I totally agree. I think we should live in mixed communities. I don't like isolated elderly, all in one place, without the zest coming through from other younger aged people. Multi-generational living I think is best for the heart. I could never put the grandkids on a timeframe for visiting me....Opps, 30 days is up, and you must leave. They are too much of a joy, a pleasure, and little memory makers. I find joy in all ages........
I live in a 55+ community and love it. I don't have to listen to loud music or squalling kids. I like the peace and quiet. We, elderly, are definitely not isolated. I'm really not up to being jumped on in a pool. I have nothing in common with the younger ones raising their children. I don't enjoy talking about schools and diapers, etc. etc. Been there, done that, I've raised my kids. When my grandkids come to visit they really don't want to stay for 30 days. They have a life of their own. If I want zest I know where to find it and I go for it and I don't need the zest of younger people to put it there. We elderly are very active in our own way that we don't need younger aged ones to put zest in our lives. I really have no desire to go out dancing till 2 in the morning. Right now I am moving from a mixed community into a 55+ community and looking forward to friends my own age, peace, quiet and fun in life when I want it. I don't want any zest forced on me by living in a mixed community. But that's just my opinion on what's good for me.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:05 PM

13 posts, read 31,845 times
Default Adult Communitites Delaware

You certainly are helpful Eizamary….mmmmmmmmmmmm? Maybe I'll just hang around for a while.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by house123 View Post
You certainly are helpful Eizamary….mmmmmmmmmmmm? Maybe I'll just hang around for a while.

Thank you House. I found this site after we moved. Would have made things so much easier if I found this before.
But then again, we knew a lot of people that lived in these type of communities and ask questions out the wazzoo for two years before we actually decided on what we wanted.

This is a big decsion and not to be taken lightly especially in these times with the economy they way it is.
You will be going to another phase in life and it can be wonderful.

You and your spouse just have to know where you want to go and what will make you happy.
Look at ALL angles.

Keep coming back. There is a lot of great information on City Data Delaware.

You will hear advice, facts and reasons from all different perspectives.
All you have to do is KNOW the right one for you and your better half.
See you around!!

Carole.............As we have talked, you know I agree with everything you said.

Been there, done that. I love them to visit but when it is time for them to go......I help them pack.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:51 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,916,851 times
I created a new thread regarding this issue. Please continue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware