Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2008, 11:59 AM

18 posts, read 108,147 times

Advertisements

Anyone know anything about Stonewater Creek in Millboro? Specifically, is there a problem with flooding (they don't offer basements because of the water table). If any one lives there, can you tell me if you have had a problem with water in the crawl space. Also, after doing some research, I read that Millsboro has a very high rate of cancer, and is considered one of the top cancer cluster areas is Delaware. Anyone have any info on this? Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 02:09 PM

5 posts, read 24,460 times
Hi there, I know Stonewater pretty well- decided not to buy there as there was uncertainty regarding the builders and the developer finishing the clubhouse (it was empty when we saw it). Saw a neat place in Dagsboro about 4 miles from Millsboro called Peppers Creek. Nice marina and a smaller community. Priced right too!

Old 01-18-2009, 11:47 AM

9 posts, read 51,957 times
do you need to be in the millsboro area? or would closer to rt 1 work for you. are you definitely looking for new construction? check this out - Eight cancer clusters discovered in Delaware | delawareonline | The News Journal
good luck with your search, jim

Old 01-19-2009, 04:45 PM

Thanks for the info on cancer clusters. We've pretty much ruled out Millsboro. Still looking for new construction around Lewes, Milton area. Have seen quite a few places, but the places we liked have septic and wells. Not sure about well water, kind of scary. Any one have any advice on well water? Pros and cons. Thanks.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:04 PM

7 posts, read 46,341 times
jojo,

Assuming you're still looking and look in Milton, make sure you understand the extra taxes, especially high with new and newer construction. It's a bear. and I cannot even get the town assessor to provide a copy of our assessment so I can verify we are being taxed for what we own. That really troubles me. (Although all of Sussex has a bad rep for integrity, at least the Sussex County assessor readily provided the requested information. His review resulted in a substantial decrease in taxes to account for upgrades and rooms we did not have!)

We also made the mistake of buying in a neighborhood subject to restrictive covenants where a relatively small number of neighbors with too much time on their hands have become covenant zealots, e.g., insisting neighbors cannot have swing sets for their children and purporting to speak to local pols on the neighborhood's behalf. Outrageous.

I seem doomed to live and learn the hard way! If I had it to do again, I would have stayed away from Milton and maybe abandoned the idea of DE altogether. I like DE, but I think one-party rule breeds corruption.

One other thing I learned, stay away from Marta Homes and Lennar Builders.

Good luck. Hope I haven't discouraged you too much!

Cate

Old 03-18-2009, 01:08 PM

Cate,
Thanks for the info. Yes, we're still looking to move to Delaware, and are still looking in Sussex County (Lewes area). It does seem though, that every new development we looked at, has something we didn't care for (HOA's, etc.), but we will continue to look. No place is perfect, but I don't want to settle. Thanks for your help.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:01 PM

1 posts, read 9,010 times
Anyone know anything about Independence? How is the water issue re: flooding and supply?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware