Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 01:07 PM

8 posts, read 33,670 times

Advertisements

When are you moving? March – June 2009
Where are you coming from?
Seattle, WA
Why are you moving?
Job
Where will you be working?
Wilmington, DE
Have you been here yet?
No, other than a couple business trips to NYC I’ve never spent time on the east coast.

Will you buy or rent?
Buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
House, 400-475K

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Married, Kids are 1 and 2 years old.
Do you prefer public or private schools?
Public
Do you have pets?
Yes, dog and cats
Do you want or need a yard?
Yes
Are you keeping a car?
Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
My wife prefers bustling activity, I can go either way.

What do you want to be closest to?
Good schools, other families with kids, job opportunities for my wife (health care field), work (prefer 20-30min commute times but could work with up to 40min commute), transportation services, basic services, shopping, and nightlife in that order.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
Similar age and income range. Race, religion or lifestyle doesn’t matter if the income range is the same.

I should add that I’m not a big fan of living near Military bases, airports, or speedways.

Looking at a map of the area it appears Brandywine, DE might be a good location – easy access to Wilmington for me and keeps the Philadelphia job market open to my wife. Hokessin also looks nice but might be too far from Philly.

The area between the King of Prussia to Downingtown to West Chester looks promising for Southern PA.

Should I also expand my search to Southern NJ – still easy access to Wilmington and Philadelphia? Does MD make sense as well (Elk Mills or Elkton)? It looks like MD would open up Baltimore for job opportunities for my wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 01:37 PM

324 posts, read 1,220,719 times
Elkton wouldn't be somewhere I would look...it is still a long distance from there to Philly and Baltimore (almost smack in the middle on I-95)

South Jersey has high property taxes and high car insurance...I wouldn't choose to live there.

PA also has high property taxes when living in a good school district.

Brandywine Hundred (N Wilmington) is a nice area but I think it is overpriced compared to some other areas south of Wilmington.
Middletown/Odessa/Townsend (M.O.T.) is an area that is right along the Rt 1/Rt 13 corridor and is within 30-40 minutes of downtown Wilmington / Christiana (Christiana Health System has a huge campus in that area) and within 30 miles of Dover. Houses are abundant, area is a newly expanded area (didn't really have many houses in the area 15 yrs ago compared to now), and they are delveloping their own little shopping areas that pretty much has anything you need in your day-to-day needs.

I moved from the Northern Philly suburbs to Newark/Glasgow area 6 yrs ago...price was right (still is actually) and it was close to what I wanted given that I have no kids. But I wouldn't recommend the area for kids because the school district isn't the best and involves a lot of bussing for the middleschool aged kids.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:22 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
I get so tired of people on this board recommending a move to Middletown for people who will be working in Wilmington! You can live in the Brandywine Hundred or other Wilmington burbs and have a 10 minute drive to work and be well located to what sophistication northern New Castle County has to offer, as well as being close to Philly and the Philly airport, or you can go down to a development out in the middle of what used to be farmland in south New Castle County, with a small town and a daily commute that is going to cost a LOT in gasoline money, time and aggravation. Unless you love to drive and don't mind paying to do so, don't make such a stupid choice. This is a great time to buy in Wilmington and its burbs. Indeed, you could even find some acceptable properties in the few good neighborhoods within the City of Wilmington itself, if you wanted, including the Highlands and Wawaset Park. However, I think you will probably best be served by something in the Brandywine Hundred.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:23 PM

87 posts, read 311,857 times
Actually, I think all three areas would be good. If you want a big house you can get a lot for your money in Middletown but the trade off is there is not much in the way of arts and entertainment. Hockessin would be a great choice but the houses do cost more than Middletown......still you'd get a really nice house for $450,000 and there is a train station by the race track that can take you the Philly for work/fun. I know people who live there and take the train every day and love it. Brandywine has a lot to offer as well -- you're within an easy drive of Philly -- which would mean a lot more trips to the Phillies/Eagles/Sixers/Flyers and to great museums, theaters and restaurants. Good luck.....you won't find it difficult to find nice homes and neighborhoods with your budget.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:28 PM

I want to add that the burbs north of Wilmington are really pretty, as they are located in the Brandywine Valley, part of the Appalachian Piedmont. Greenville and Hockessin are particularly pretty topographically. South of Wilmington, you rapidly get into coastal plain which is, well, plain. If you like to look at flat farmland and swamps it's ok I suppose. However, the northernmost bit of DE is truly lovely.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:46 PM

Thanks for great feedback…much appreciated. After reading the responses and reviewing other threads it looks like the burbs north of Wilmington make a lot of sense for us: 10-20min drive to work, convenient access to Philly, homes in our price range, and school districts that are comparable to what we would have sent our kids to in a few years if we stayed in Seattle.

My wife and I are excited about moving to the area with all the history, major metropolitan areas, country side, and beaches to enjoy within a two to three hour drive radius.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:49 PM

87 posts, read 311,857 times
Oh my gosh, you're going to love it.....

In any given year, we'll have been to Philly, New York City, Washington DC and sometimes Baltimore. We're in Kent County and it takes us just a few hours to any of these places. We drive (except to NY where we take the train) but if you move into New Castle County you could drive or take the train.

The beaches in Delaware, New Jersey and Maryland are beautiful and so much fun for kids with the boardwalk, games, etc.

I would love to live up in New Castle but then we'd have the reverse commute -- a good number of people actually do that since it really has a lot more to offer. Good Luck!

Old 11-14-2008, 06:44 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
The Northern De./Southern Pa border(Brandywine Valley is outstanding.) Greenville,Montchanin,Winterthur DE incredible and I can vouch for Pa' s Brandywine Valley straight up and beyond Downingtown.

NOt sure if you are familiar with NFl coach Dick Vermeil. He grew up in Napa Valley Ca. but now lives in Chester County Pa. He says Chester County is the best kept secret in the entire country, nicer than Napa Valley. Perhaps lip service on his part but it is a very nice area. You cant go wrong in No De. or Southern Pa.

In Pa. 202 is your dividing line of rural/suburban. NW of 202 more rural. SE is upscale suburbia

Unionville-Chadds Ford is one of the best school districts in PA and is directly across the De border in southern Chester County. Probably your best match if you are interested in PA.

Anther top notch school district in PA close to Wilm. is Garnet Valley which is the school district of Concord Township and Bethel Township.These are newer growing communities one of the fastest growing regions in the Philadelphia area.Worth a visit.

If you expand your commute a bit you get into the best public schools in Pa via the Philadlephia Main Line suburbs. Very leafy quintessential east coast type communities.

School districts are

Lower Merion
Radnor
Tredyffrin-Easttown
Great Valley

Towns would include

Wynnewood
Bryn Mawr
Ardmore
Narberth
Haverford
Rosemont
Penn Valley
Villanova
Gladwyne
Radnor
St. Davids
Wayne
Paoli
Berwyn
Tredyffrin

Good luck.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:39 PM

Don't be like those automobile addicts: take the train to NYC, DC, Providence, Boston. Baltimore is a toss-up -- you can either go by train or car. I'm always amazed at the people around here who act like the train is something completely foreign to NY. It's so much easier than driving.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:11 PM

Taking the train will be a new experience. Seattle doesn’t have a major rail system.
Is there a good bus system in and around Wilmington? I’m able to go door to door from home to work and back taking the bus.
How long does it take to go to Manhattan from the Wilmington area riding the train?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware