U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 18,078 times

Advertisements

I am going to retire in June '09. I expect to purchase a motor home and travel. I would like to establish residency in Deleware prior to purchasing the motor home. I would also like to maintain residence there for tax purposes.
Can someone tell me how to go about establishing residence with out renting or buying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 12:56 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,295,338 times
I don't think you can. Indeed, the premise strikes me as bizarre.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:41 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,995,562 times
PO BOX is an option...

I'm pretty sure you need a Delaware State ID, for which you go to the DMV or other State ID place, and present a recent utility bill with perhaps another state ID, or birth certificate.

You could use a bank statement as a utility bill, but whether they would accept a PO BOX address on that statement is the question.

Google Delaware DMV to see the license/id requirements.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:47 PM

16,199 posts, read 10,547,382 times
Good post Joe. I think you are correct.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:18 AM

12,605 posts, read 28,027,153 times
Joe's post seems right to me also. A quick look at the DMV site State of Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles - Driver's License and ID Changes shows that you need two pieces of id to get a Delaware license - both proving that you live there.

You might find another state with more lenient residency requirements and I would suggest looking at an RV bulletin board for that info.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:48 AM

But the thing is, you are proposing to obtain DE residency without actually living here. I doubt that DMV will accept a PO Box only, in absence of something that looks more like a physical address. I suppose you can commit fraud by trying to pass off the address of a private post office box business or a storage unit place as your actual physical residence. I think what you are really proposing amounts to fraudulent misrepresentation to the State. Or, of course, you could perhaps do it legally by giving the address of a space you'd rented at an RV park here, with adequate supporting documentation in terms of bank statement and/or bills sent to a PO at the RV park. You aren't going to be able to do this without spending some money, which seems to be what you're trying to avoid.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:56 AM

Just another aspect to this: owing to federal security requirements post-9/11 impinging on the states, the stuff you have to prove up at DMVs in any state is greater than before. They have to have your social security card or US passport, for example. Hence, I doubt that any state has such a low bar for proving place of residence that you could squeeze under without actually having a physical address to present (whether real or fictitious). Remember, years ago DMVs didn't require third party proof of your address, much less of your social security number, though they always required a birth certificate the first time you were licensed; after that, any state would accept as sufficient proof of id your out of state DL (the requirement for a birth certificate the first time was to prove id, not citizenship, as is the case now, assuming you were born in this country -- if not, you need a US passport or naturalisation certificate).

Old 12-05-2008, 07:28 PM

957 posts, read 3,324,733 times
I did just that before I bought a house there. I used a friends address and set up a bank account. I took the bank statement, a piece of personal mail addressed to me at his address and my NH license and I got a DE drivers license. I stayed in the RV at his house for 6 months. You will need a physical address in order to pull it off, which means knowing someone in Delaware.

You don't really need a mailing address for anything other that to show the people at DMV. You can manage bank accounts on-line, pay bills on-line, pretty much do everything on-line. Once you have a DE license, you are a DE resident. You might want to look into insurance premiums before jumping in. My premiums more than doubled when I changed residency from NH to DE.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:57 AM

1,030 posts, read 2,995,562 times
BTW, if you wanna be outright illegal about it, look for an empty for-sale house in Delaware, change your address with your bank to that address, wait for the statement, and whip up a phony lease/rental agreement to show the DMV.

All they look for is the documents. They don't verify anything.

Good luck getting your Delaware car insurance rates

Old 02-04-2013, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 12,537 times
Default what are delaware residency requirements and how do I get them

I have owned a home on rented property in Delaware for the past 20 years. I pay taxes, utility, water and sewer bills. Since this is a vacation home, I do not want to receive mail at the address. I spend only limited time there during the winter months. I would like to establish a Delaware residency without a mailing address in Delaware. Is that possible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware