U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-06-2008, 09:25 AM

17 posts, read 113,042 times
Default Cheapest fare from Washington DC to Newark DE ?

I have to go see the University of Delaware in the coming weeks. I live in Washington DC and the best way would have been AMTRAK but the round trip of $75 is too much for me. Does anyone know of a bus that goes to Newark from DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 09:40 AM

10,212 posts, read 16,026,505 times
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I would send a quick e-mail to the U of D's admissions office and ask them for alternatives if no one on this board comes up with something better.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:10 AM

1,905 posts, read 1,444,105 times
I found this on craigslist:

UDBaltimore UDBWI UDWashington | (http://www.freewebs.com/catcharide/schedulesfares.htm - broken link)

Then checked it out...looks like it only runs on specific days during holiday breaks. Plus you are going in the opposite direction. Why not post an ad for a rideshare on Craigslist?

Old 12-06-2008, 10:51 AM

1,032 posts, read 1,931,507 times
OK AL... here are your options...

1. Greyhound, $27 per way, RT $54, to Wilmington, Bus to UD $1.10 each way, Total $56
2. New Century Travel bus- Daily bus between New York Washington DC and Philadelphia online tickets (Chinatown Bus) to Phila. $20 RT plus $12 RT Septa R2 from Philadelphia to Newark. Total $32
3. Amtrak, $5,457,823.00

Personally, I would do the Chinatown option. Where you get dropped off in Philly is LITERALLY a block away from the station where you catch the train to Newark. It's an extra hour's ride, but your money! www.SEPTA.com for train info.

Good luck!

Old 01-23-2011, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 23,424 times
Default cheap way to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bothwell View Post
I have to go see the University of Delaware in the coming weeks. I live in Washington DC and the best way would have been AMTRAK but the round trip of $75 is too much for me. Does anyone know of a bus that goes to Newark from DC?
take marc train to Perryville ($11) then take 'the bus" (that's realy the name of it) to Elkton, MD.($2) than it 10 min to UofD by Dart bus($1.40) so.....$14.50 one way!!!

Old 01-24-2011, 06:21 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,905,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missaprilw View Post
take marc train to Perryville ($11) then take 'the bus" (that's realy the name of it) to Elkton, MD.($2) than it 10 min to UofD by Dart bus($1.40) so.....$14.50 one way!!!
sounds good ... if you have the time

Old 01-24-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
OK AL... here are your options...

1. Greyhound, $27 per way, RT $54, to Wilmington, Bus to UD $1.10 each way, Total $56
2. New Century Travel bus- Daily bus between New York Washington DC and Philadelphia online tickets (Chinatown Bus) to Phila. $20 RT plus $12 RT Septa R2 from Philadelphia to Newark. Total $32
3. Amtrak, $5,457,823.00

Personally, I would do the Chinatown option. Where you get dropped off in Philly is LITERALLY a block away from the station where you catch the train to Newark. It's an extra hour's ride, but your money! www.SEPTA.com for train info.

Good luck!
haha, I like 3) the best

I took the china bus to new york several times and think, that's one of the best options.

But looking around at UD (even everything is close by) I would also consider renting a car and maybe look at some housing options as well. maybe share a car with a friend.

btw, I always wanted to ask that question (hope, the OP does not mind): in germany we have a kind of car pool, where people post, whenever they have capacity in their car to go to certain cities and on the other hand people post, who need a ride. you pay a couple of cent per milage and a small fee to the company, who is organizing it. Did you hear of anything like that ?

I admit, I once found a driver, I would not join another time, but overall it was a great deal for both sides and I made tons of nice contacts !

Old 01-24-2011, 07:17 AM

4,550 posts, read 5,638,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
haha, I like 3) the best
btw, I always wanted to ask that question (hope, the OP does not mind): in germany we have a kind of car pool, where people post, whenever they have capacity in their car to go to certain cities and on the other hand people post, who need a ride. you pay a couple of cent per milage and a small fee to the company, who is organizing it. Did you hear of anything like that ?
YES! That's the way Delaware has operated for many years, even before bus transportation, and even before DuPont Highway (Rt. 13) had dual lanes (some time in the 40's, I vaguely remember). There are parking lots up and down the state, but I think private entities own the lots....not sure. Off the cuff, there's a big car pool lot on the west side of Rt. 13, at the corner of Pine Tree Road (Townsend address). Downstate, there's one on Coastal Highway near Frederica, and I've seen a car pool lot near K-Mart in Dover. I'm sure there are others, and I don't think these are advertised. Word-of-mouth is still the primary source for obtaining this information, either at the local diner, tavern, or workplace, where the real valuable stuff is learned . Perhaps those car-pooling will read this and add much more than I am able.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:08 PM

445 posts, read 861,841 times
The OP had to make this trip in Jan 2009

Old 01-24-2011, 09:27 PM

muhaha ... almost done studying by now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware