U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 05:07 AM

342 posts, read 1,117,129 times
It is good to hear some positives about the school systems in New Castle Co. As we are getting ready to move down from PA. soon and have a son in elementary school. So far from my research, I cannot see alot of difference between the two states curriculum wise. One positive, is at Olive B Loss (his new school), there are 16 students to 1 teacher. Where we are now in PA. he has 23 children in his class. Too many 7 year olds, for 1 teacher IMHO. Time shall tell, but it is all relative. My main concern is my son's safety. As long as he is being taught the age-related basics in a safe school, that is perfect. I believe as parents we should pick up where the schools leave off. Supplement your child's knowledge and socialization. It is our responsibility as parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 06:31 AM

15,509 posts, read 7,539,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hc7612 View Post
It is good to hear some positives about the school systems in New Castle Co. As we are getting ready to move down from PA. soon and have a son in elementary school. So far from my research, I cannot see alot of difference between the two states curriculum wise. One positive, is at Olive B Loss (his new school), there are 16 students to 1 teacher. Where we are now in PA. he has 23 children in his class. Too many 7 year olds, for 1 teacher IMHO. Time shall tell, but it is all relative. My main concern is my son's safety. As long as he is being taught the age-related basics in a safe school, that is perfect. I believe as parents we should pick up where the schools leave off. Supplement your child's knowledge and socialization. It is our responsibility as parents.
God bless all you parents with kids in school. I look back and it seems worse today then it did when my kids were in.
However,
have to worry about my little grand daughter who will be 5 Dec.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:42 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,220,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
Rockky,

I must have been writing my "book" while you were writing yours! I searched and searched for comparisons of public and private schools, and never found anything useful for any state. I think the day will come when that data is available. I as a parent have completed a lot of surveys for colleges in that vein, so the numbers ARE being crunched.

From what I see, the problem with the lack of data comes from the fact that part are public (tons of data on the dept of education sites) and part are private (which can choose to be analyzed etc based on accredidation (sp?), etc.

I think LASH made a comment a few weeks ago about newspapers and the way information can be skewed or sensationalized (see thread about the Del State shooting about 3 or 4 weeks ago). And having NY relatives (hubby & family) and friends that were directly affected by 9/11, my views of newspapers and TV news may be a bit different than other folks.

Yes, news reports are eye openers. They should be... they are supposed to be news. I too read the online version of the News Journal as a DE resource... got a lot of information there too. Another reason we targeted central DE instead of the northern or southern counties. But put the info reported beside the NY Times, or the Washington DC papers, or Chicago, etc. and even "horrible" Wilmington doesn't look like the totally wasted place it can sometimes be viewed as.

I probably need to go to bed... my postings are reflecting my lack of sleep!

Mary
Mary, I should have been more clear in my posting about reading the News Journal. I can't say I've learned a great deal from the news articles directly. The opinion and perceived facts which are printed tend to send me in search of data and more information to document what I've read.

I read the comments by interested citizens. Granted there are some real weirdos who post, and I tend to skip over them. I do read what folks write about their personal experience. I do realize that individuals bring skewed and emotional input to forums, so I try to weed through it for fact based info.

Also, I'm close to a person who is very involved with the educational system in the state. Sometimes I get "inside" info. Let me tell you up front.....we often disagree, heatedly disagree, about the current educational system in the U.S. and DE. I've learned a great deal from our discussions...still doesn't mean that we agree though.

This person, having an engineering background, tends to deal in totally fact based info and numbers. I know that the data shared with me is factual. I've seen the printed material. I just can't direct anyone else to an on line site to verify.

Are DE public schools the worst in the nation? No. Nothing to support that statement. Could the schools be the worst momoftwinboys has encountered in the nation? Maybe. I certainly can't speak for her, but for whatever reason she is passionate about leaving the area. That's her choice. No matter how much research a person does, until they live somewhere for a period of time, there will be some surprises. Some surprises may even be good!!

I think that no matter where a person lives, our lives will not be the same as they were not so many years ago. The cost of living is higher, and income doesn't keep up with the demand. Medical care is faulting in most areas of our country. NCLB is not helping public education, but it is the law for now. Our younger generation will not have the same quality of live as the boomers, and the boomers will rip the current system apart. Geesh. We are at war, but society seems to think life can go on normally. We separate ourselves from the reality. When we are unhappy or disenchanted, we tend to run. We are a disposable society, and that attitude may be our greatest downfall.

Whoops. Sorry. I'm going way off target here...just thinking through my fingers. Wow...I sound like a doom monger. LOL!

I'm glad that each of you have found peace and happiness in your chosen locations in DE. I want that to be part of your lives for as long as you chose to be a citizen of the area. I sincerely do.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:51 AM

15,509 posts, read 7,539,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
Whoops. Sorry. I'm going way off target here...just thinking through my fingers. Wow...I sound like a doom monger. LOL!

I'm glad that each of you have found peace and happiness in your chosen locations in DE. I want that to be part of your lives for as long as you chose to be a citizen of the area. I sincerely do.
Rockky...........you do sound like a doom monger but that is not hard to do with the news these days. We may be headed for WW111....
If so, no one will be happy and no one will gain anything for we will all be suffering or dead.
Just my 2 cents added to the doom and gloom.

What we need to do is live in the moment and try to be happy with where we are in life right now.
life is not perfect and will never be but life can teach us well, especially the rough parts.
I agree, there is no perfect place to live. Just ahve to seek out a place that would "best" suite your life.

We love living in DE but PA is such a more beautiful state. De is kind of blah.
But living is better financially and we have met some wonderful people and really love it here.
You can't have everything and some things must be sacrificed for the greater good.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:59 AM

113 posts, read 324,093 times
On the subject of Delaware schools. We have, ourselves, lived in Dover for 15 years, but some of our extended family have lived in the area for as long as 30 years. I'm not going to be specific about my children's experience, but will state generally for the whole family in the area, that all found it necessary to work closely with teachers and to make their voices heard often. (Usually a good idea in any case.) This is the Capital School District. Everyone agrees that they would have liked to have removed their children from this district when they reached high school, that the teachers were forced to devote far too much of their time to discipline. Some of the children did not feel safe. In a few cases, our families were able to go alternative routes for high school.

Mary did a fine job researching. Caesar Rodney School District is considered very good to excellent.

Most of the people I know above the canal have put their children in private schools, though I feel sure that excellent public schools do exist there.

Lori

Old 10-18-2007, 08:24 AM

19,922 posts, read 7,254,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieF View Post
... found it necessary to work closely with teachers and to make their voices heard often. (Usually a good idea in any case.)

Lori
Lori - you're right on point here! As a very active parent in a school district in New York (including several terms as a PTA President), what was true in your district was also true in ours ... and many others in the county.

Parents cannot just send their kids off to school and expect the best. It is incumbent on parents to be involved in the education of their children, to work in partnership with the teachers and school administration, and to advocate for their children when necessary.

Charley

Old 10-22-2007, 11:05 PM

902 posts, read 2,459,657 times
Wow, rockky... such passion! Its great to read other posters' POV that are as strong as mine! What a great expression for a public forum!

JulieF/Lori - I have heard many times (before moving here and since) the same thing you posted from several parents we have encountered. Just reinforces my gut feeling in choosing Caesar Rodney district to start off our life in DE. For very different reasons, the school district in NC we moved FROM was quickly becoming one similar to Capital, from what I have heard and read. Not a warm, fuzzy feeling with a special needs middle schooler and a 4th grader.

Charley - IMHO, you are so "right on"... parental involvement can get a lot of results not otherwise "available". Our situation was a bit different in NC in that essentially, the kids and I functioned like a single-parent household the last 10 years. With 4 kids, and trying to work full time, there was not enough time in the day for me to be active in PTO, as a room mom, etc. And with an autistic child to boot, you see where I am going with this.

On that note, I found an article long ago titled "where are the parents?" or something like that. It was written specially for special needs parents, and "addressed" to school personnel asking that question about moms and dads NOT being on the PTO, etc. I have found over time that it is a very fine line some of us walk between "being involved" and "being a trouble-maker"!

Mary

Old 10-24-2007, 04:06 PM

6 posts, read 14,458 times
we live in newark and my hubby works in wilmington off delaware ave it is not as bad as people say

Old 10-25-2007, 10:43 AM

199 posts, read 651,365 times
Rockky,
Wow! and double wow! You sound like a sociology or philosophy professor or both. I don't think you're a doom and gloomer, but a realist. I don't want to get on a soap box, but would like to vent a little to add to your excellent post. In my humble opinion (very humble), the number one problem contributing to the conditions you described in our post is too many people. The earth is a finite resource. It's not getting any bigger and can only support so many people. At the moment, the number is unknown. There are some who might pooh pooh this idea, but travel to India, Bangladesh or Japan, to mention a few and see how these folks live within their limited land masses. If you're a global warming supporter, then the earth's land mass will get even smaller. The simplistic answer is personal population control. When you talk to younger couples who are about to start family, you may hear, "Oh, we love kids and want to have as many as we can." They are contributing to the problem. If everyone thought that way, then our future generations will be living like those described above sooner rather than later. If we don't do it on our own, then eventually the government will do it for us. But knowing the knee jerk reactions of most of our federal and state government officials, it will probably be too late. Communist China did it some years ago - one child per couple. I could go on, but enough doom and gloom for one post!

Old 10-25-2007, 11:19 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,220,831 times
peeweeaz, LOL! You give me far too many credentials!! I'm simply an over-thinking, uneducated, PITA.

I remember reading studies that do show the more people you put into an area, the more they act out, are more confrontational, and prone to violence. A larger family with little privacy in their home tend to show more emotional disorders than average. Is that always true? Of course not. Besides, when you think of the confined living spaces with large families in past generations, we should all be as nutty as Mr. Peanut!

One difference is longevity and survival rates of babies who would have died even 50 years ago. Death was a part of life. There was no need to supply long-term interventions. Also, each person had to be a productive part of the whole. If they weren't, they ceased to be included. Certainly, as people aged they were cared for by their family. People stayed in a particular area and were close.

We seem to have a greater number of those who live off those who produce. In other words, we seem to be gaining more grasshoppers than ants. Some of that is by choice. Some of it will be the rat going through the snake, and it will hopefully level at some point.

Remember the old ZPG concept? Zero Population Growth.....each couple would produce 2 children who would replace them in the world. I think that makes more sense than the government controls of China. Besides, they had huge mortality rates among female children. Everyone wanted male children, and the females somehow died very young. Awful.

Now, how's that for gloom and doom?!?! LOL! Deep thought connected to a simple thread about Delaware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware