Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2009, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 5,190 times

Advertisements

Hello
I am retiring from the Army this summer and am going to work for the Federal Government at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD.
My Wife and I are planning to relocate to that area, which includes Northern Delaware Maryland and South Eastern PA. Our children are grown and do not live with at home
I am wondering if anyone has any information they are willing to share about good areas/towns to relocate to and any info on: housing ($400k or under) subdivisions, property taxes, state and local taxes, crime, shopping, local hospitals and recreation. Also, any info on the Pro's and Cons of living in one state vs another would be helpful. Thanks

Last edited by Armyguy_ret.; 01-13-2009 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: remove auto text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 02:32 PM

604 posts, read 2,010,445 times
Armyguy:

Happy New Year!

I will attempt to share information about Delaware relative to MD and PA.

First, the property and School taxes in DE are substantially lower than in MD and PA. Additionally, there is no sales tax in DE. (For christmas shopping people are known to come by chartered busses from NYC to shop at DE malls) There is Income tax but good thing is that itemized deductions (schedule A) reduce the taxable income which is better than income tax on the gross income in other states.

There are several, fairly young (0 to 15 yrs) residential subdivisions on the western - closeer to APG - side of New Castle County. They will also meet your price criteria to a large extent.

Troop 2 -DE state police is within couple of miles from MD state line. Crime info for various neighborhoods can be obtained. By law, I am forbidden to pass judgment on the crime issue that is why I am mentioning about the Police Baracks.

Christina Care in Stanton DE is a well known Hospital and medical facility. They have several satellite locations through-out the County.

AS far as recreation, Delaware Bay, "Big Pond", Chesapeake Bay afford all kind of aquatic recreation, Baltimore and Philadelphia team games are within an easy driving distance (50-70 miles),
Newark-Glasgow DE are located approximately 130 miles from DC or NYC.

I hope you find my post informative - a first step anyway!

In addition to SF-home subdivisions there are "over 55" subdivisions (one does not necessarily have to be over 55)

Old 01-14-2009, 08:07 AM

2 posts, read 5,190 times
ARMX,
Thanks for the info, it's a good start!

Old 01-15-2009, 01:14 PM

No more follow up questions? (lol) ..... glad to be of help

Old 01-18-2009, 09:15 AM

200 posts, read 619,869 times
Delaware has no income tax reciprocity agreement with Maryland. PA does. That means, if you live in PA but work in MD, that you will only have to pay PA income taxes and nothing in MD.

On the other hand, if you live in DE and work in MD, you will have to file a resident income tax return in DE and a non-resident tax return in MD.

The DE return should have a tax credit for the tax paid to Maryland, so you won't be double taxed... but you will end up paying the highest rate of the two states... and of course filling out two is a lot more work.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:02 AM

9 posts, read 51,947 times
good luck with your home search. there are pluses and minuses to consider when contemplating northern versus southern delaware but low taxes as stated above are statewide : ) in my area if sussex delaware there are plenty of nice communities in the under $400k price range and being close to the beach and beebe hospital is an added benefit. again, all the best with the tough decision making process facing you. jim

Old 01-19-2009, 07:49 PM

TWO STATE TAX FALACY STATEMENT BY KANLING:

As to income taxes to be paid to two states - Delaware tax rules allow full credit for the taxes paid to other states including MD .... Delaware resident, therefore - would pay no more tax than the Delaware tax code requires for in-state employee.

Besides FILLING out one more tax form for MD (against saving whole lot of money and live closer to NJ where Army-guy would be visiting his friends and//or relatives for foreseeable future) there is no other hassle. In spite of his/her good intentions, Kanling's concern is somewhat superfluous.

If Army-guy is going to work at APG how does living in Sussex help him for his commute, jim?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: