Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2007, 11:47 PM

989 posts, read 2,762,147 times

Advertisements

I have seen several posts that state Wilmington is very bad for crime. (Aside from the white color crime by the credit card companies! )

My question is: Is the whole area bad, or just certain regions? If there are just a few bad areas, I can definately live with that. A whole city I can't do much about. A bad downtown core with nice outlying neighborhoods and suburbs is a winning senario to me.

Plus, are there any livable neighborhoods that are under $350K and can give you a 2,000+ sq ft house with a 10,000+ sq ft yard? I'm getting a teaching degree and most likely working in a suburban school district. I'd be willing to commute about 30-40 minutes to get a nice house.

Thanks!

Last edited by Evlevo; 03-10-2007 at 11:53 PM.. Reason: Added info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 06:53 AM

48 posts, read 150,850 times
North Wilmington suburbs should be fine. Pike Creek is 20ish minutes south of Wilmington and can be more upscale. Hockessin (hoe-kess'in) is also nice and somewhat near Pike Creek.

A knowledgeable Realtor should be able to guide you to nice areas that fit your budget easily.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:43 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
You should be able to find a nice home in your price range. Keep in mind that realtors cannot always legally answer questions regarding locations, schools, etc. If you plan to move to the Wilmington area, call the Wilmington police or New Castle County police and ask for crime stats in the area where you are looking. They must give you that info.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:14 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,765 times
You could do what I do when looking for a realtor, and it can save you heartbreak down the road when you buy a home in a less than desirable area and you can't sell, been there, done that!

Anyhow, ask them out flat, and if they don't answer, ask someone else till they will be open and honest with you, or else you will lose money or worse, we lost over 20 grand from an less than nice real estate agent, and so you have to protect yourself and if they can't tell you in tongue and cheek way, drop them fast or pay a dear price!

Good luck!

Old 03-25-2007, 05:02 AM

4 posts, read 26,205 times
I have lived in various sections of Delaware for over 20 years.Before that in Virginia near Washington DC.The city of Wilmington itself is actualy a small town city. infact most people are not aware that compared to other huge cities Wilmington actualy isnt that bad, its only certain sections of the city itself. But of course you would not want to live Right in the city its self, your not going to find that type of property in the city anyways. The surrounding areas are very nice and have wonderful housing developments to live in such as in Newark and Bear. Many people would of course recommend Northern Wilmington Near Rt. 202 ( thats not the city) ::eye roll:: yeah right its becomming far too crowded up there!

Someone has Dramatized Wilmington Delaware into sounding like the slums of Ny or Phili. LOL my gosh its a small town people! and of course it has some bad areas just like any other city but its FAR from being that horrible! Look around Newark and Bear near Rte 40 and the surrounding areas its a very nice section of Delaware to live in.

Last edited by Aquamystdragon; 03-25-2007 at 05:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware