U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 9,829 times

Advertisements

Hi, My husband & I have found a cute new home in long neck shore delaware. It is off of Bay Farm road. Would someone who is familiar with the area please let me know about the crime in this & millsboro area? It seems to be close enough to rehobeth outlets & beaches. I realize during the summer these areas are overcrowded, but on the whole are these fairly safe areas? Thanks for info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 05:52 PM

8,483 posts, read 12,448,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharl View Post
Hi, My husband & I have found a cute new home in long neck shore delaware. It is off of Bay Farm road. Would someone who is familiar with the area please let me know about the crime in this & millsboro area? It seems to be close enough to rehobeth outlets & beaches. I realize during the summer these areas are overcrowded, but on the whole are these fairly safe areas? Thanks for info.
Not sure about the crime, but make sure it's not a land lease. We also found a great house in Long Neck, but the land lease was $1100 A MONTH.

Needless to say, we walked away.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:17 PM

1,648 posts, read 4,468,279 times
MPB is right. The Long Neck area used to be filled with land lease property. Pot Nets was well known. Many of the original owners are losing their homes because high-end development has moved in. You might want to do a search on the politics in the area.

Beach sprawl has moved into the area, and some of the homes are very, very pricey. Baywood and The Peninsula come to mind. You can Google them and find their web pages.

I have no real factual stats on the crime in the area, but I don't think it is bad there. I have a home in Ocean View right behind Bethany. The police force there has increased in size 5x over in the last few years. The population has grown that rapidly.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:11 PM

8,483 posts, read 12,448,580 times
Just as a follow-up. We found a house in Pots Net facing the Indian River. The view was a dream come true.

After looking the house over we realized that it was a single wide that had a few additions. So even at $150,000 we could knock it down, as the house next door was being done and bring in a modular ranch for about $100,000.

We feel in love with the view, but realized many of the homes there were older trailers. The we got the shock of hearing $1100 a month for land rent.

I wasn't going to pay $13,000 a year for land I didn't even own and with the possibility of being thrown off the land WHEN the owners decided to sell.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:55 PM

957 posts, read 3,329,972 times
I have a place in Masseys Landing at the end of Long Neck Road. It's on the water and the land lease is only $140 a month. That's probably why they don't come up for sale often. Pot-Nets seems to be the highest. I looked at one on the bay. $190K for a doublewide and $16k a year for the lease...Nice view though. I looked at a real nice doublewide in Mariners Cove. $60k would have bought the house but 9k a year for the land lease was a deal breaker. I had a hard time at first with the idea of owning a house on leased land....until I started pricing waterfront property. To buy the same size lot as what I have in Masseys would be at least $500k. Crime seems minimal and it is only 15 minutes from the Rehoboth stores.

Ross

Old 04-27-2008, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 8,214 times
Hello all, My Husband and I are considering a move from Florida to Delaware. We looked at Baywood and fell in love with it. But, then (last year) the land rent was 500 to 1000 a month, so now we are searching for another area. Any ideas for a nice community close to the beach.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:21 AM

7,350 posts, read 10,790,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharl View Post
======================================
Here's a link on crime in Delaware. Just click the town/area and a map will come up. Follow directions on right, and it will give you crimes reported within the past 2 weeks, and then click yearly summary. Hope this helps.
delawareonline The News Journal, Wilmington, Del.
Long Neck is in the 19966 Zip Code Area

Last edited by rdlr; 04-28-2008 at 05:32 AM..

Old 04-28-2008, 07:52 AM

3 posts, read 21,844 times
Cool Hi Sharl

My family and I moved to Long Neck from Philadelphia in 2004 and have never looked back. My daughters have flourished within the school systems here, the people are by far more than you can imagine in attitude, assistance and just being neighborly. While we are not crime free, we have very little crime in this area and I am not afraid to let my daughters stay out when it begins to get dark. Everyone knows us in the community and everyone looks out for everyone and their children. There are many great things about the Long Neck area and we are starting to find ourselves "On the Map" if you will.

I hope that we will meet one day as I live in PotNets and you are a stones throw away and I would love to share Long Neck with you and your family. You can email me at (moderator cut: no e-mail addresses please) if there is anything else I can do for you.

Welcome

Kate and Family

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-09-2009 at 05:12 PM..

Old 04-30-2008, 07:13 PM

29 posts, read 116,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotNetGal View Post
My family and I moved to Long Neck from Philadelphia in 2004 and have never looked back. My daughters have flourished within the school systems here, the people are by far more than you can imagine in attitude, assistance and just being neighborly. While we are not crime free, we have very little crime in this area and I am not afraid to let my daughters stay out when it begins to get dark. Everyone knows us in the community and everyone looks out for everyone and their children. There are many great things about the Long Neck area and we are starting to find ourselves "On the Map" if you will.

I hope that we will meet one day as I live in PotNets and you are a stones throw away and I would love to share Long Neck with you and your family. You can email me at if there is anything else I can do for you.

Welcome

Kate and Family

Hi Kate...which Potnets community do you live in? My hubby and I are looking to move to the Long Neck area from PA as soon as we can sell our house. We loved Lakeside and looked at several homes that were great,just what I am looking for. However, I have heard so many horror stories about the lot rent growing by leaps and bounds every year in Potnets that I am now afraid to even consider it. What has been your experience with the rent,if you don't mind my asking.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-09-2009 at 05:12 PM..

Old 05-13-2008, 07:16 AM

3 posts, read 21,844 times
Default OceanSeeker

I would love to share the lot rent story with you. Email me at Moderator cut: please don't post email addresses and I will let you know about the agreement that I was instrumental as a officer of the homeowners assn of working with Mr Tunnell in keeping the residents from being banged over the head in lot rent. This agreement keeps the lot rent at a reasonable rate, even with the cpi and with all the amenities and such that are at our disposable, in comparison to other communities and areas around delaware this is still the best bargain for your dollar.

I hope to hear from you

Kate

Last edited by christina0001; 05-13-2008 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: posted email address - see TOS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or