Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,628 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Va and looking to relocate to Delaware I just dont know what parts to look into? I am looking for a very quite and safe community for my son and myself. A good school is a big thing for me, my hometown is N.Y.C and want to be a little closer to my family and friends please help me! Any info would be great!Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 01:49 PM

5 posts, read 24,448 times
Hi, you may want to check out Sussex County as most of the schools there are Blue Ribbon and crime is next to nothing.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 5,276 times
What are the areas along the shoreline fo DE like? I would liek to retire there in a few years.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:03 AM

5 posts, read 24,448 times
The DE shore is quickly becoming the place to be for 3 to 5 year out retirees! And why not taxes are low and prices are reasonable. If you are looking for a "deal" you may want to check out the possibility of a model home in a new community and lease it back for 3 years. Gives you some extra income. I'm looking into it at Pepper's Creek. I think they have 2 or 3 models for sale that way.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:45 AM

604 posts, read 2,010,286 times
In DE, there are three counties ...from north to south New Castle (N.C.), Kent, & Sussex ... more than half the population is in N.C 'coz more jobs, more urban and close to I-95. one has to try hard to find a bad neighborhood other than the usual suspects.

So location of your job will determine where you would want to live. Public transportation is almost non-existent in Kent and Sussex and mediocre in N.C.

Good schools have a lot to do with areas w/ parents really interested in education and supporting school system than any other criteria (Sussex is rural). Most employers who hire professionals are located in N.C. that may reflect on the parental support of the schools.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:25 PM

903 posts, read 3,504,567 times
Hi mommyny,

We chose to settle in central Kent County when moving to DE from NC. Hubby's family is all in NY, and while we are farther away than if we moved to northern DE, we like it better here. IMHO, Kent County has a bit of everything... Dover is a big enough city for us on a daily basis, yet we have country/rural very nearby. The beach area (aka Rehobeth/Lewes) is only 45 minutes to an hour away; close enough for convenience, far enough not to be caught up in the busy-ness of a tourist area.

As far as schools, our kids are in the Caesar Rodney district. We have been very happy with the schools, teachers, etc. Let me know if I can help you with any other information.

Mary

Old 02-08-2009, 08:04 PM

3 posts, read 8,752 times
I am moving to Delaware this year.We are leaving N.Y.C. How about a little help in finding a lawyer for the paper work?

Old 02-08-2009, 08:21 PM

3 posts, read 8,752 times
Hello Again, has anyone seen a good lawyer in Dover Delaware? I need a lawyer to look over the paper work.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:18 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,973,551 times
What legal paperwork are you talking about? If you mean a real estate attorney, your real estate agent and lending institution should be of help in finding a suitable law firm. Could you please clarify?

Old 02-12-2009, 11:23 AM

903 posts, read 3,504,567 times
Hi paulthegreat,

If a real estate attorney is indeed what you are looking for, Gary Dodge did the closing on our house. He was VERY thorough, the house came out of an estate, and he seemed to know his stuff. From what I understand, he's been in business at least 20 years, and has an excellent reputation in Dover.

Send me a private message for further contact info, but I am sure you can find him on yellowpages.com.

Mary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware