Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:26 AM

41 posts, read 61,312 times

Advertisements

hahaha, love it. Nah, when I turned I was talking to my friend who was visiting from the mid-west. I never even saw the 25 mph sign. Haha, I saw the 35 & 45 and so I was actually increasing my speed. Yep, got the ticket--my mistake, one I won't make again. Just dislike that it was a crummy little trap seems to be a new way to tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 11:27 AM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justplainjoe View Post
hahaha, love it. Nah, when I turned I was talking to my friend who was visiting from the mid-west. I never even saw the 25 mph sign. Haha, I saw the 35 & 45 and so I was actually increasing my speed. Yep, got the ticket--my mistake, one I won't make again. Just dislike that it was a crummy little trap seems to be a new way to tax.
Well, that was a good lesson. I guess you'll have to remember to look for the change in speed limits entering and exiting all towns up and down Rt. 13, not just Harrington.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:51 AM

Default yep true

Read an article recently that many small towns are using the speed trap to raise revenue since most people will not return to attend court. Just seems like a crappy way to raise funds to me. Leave to our politicians to devise yet another way to get their hand into our pocket without us taxpayers having any real recourse.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:31 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,740 times
Quote:
Read an article recently that many small towns are using the speed trap to raise revenue since most people will not return to attend court. Just seems like a crappy way to raise funds to me. Leave to our politicians to devise yet another way to get their hand into our pocket without us taxpayers having any real recourse.
For those who don't speed, it's not an issue. For those who live in the towns where people do speed, it's a benefit. That's a win-win in my book!

Old 03-04-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Ahhhh....yes! Glad you brought the taxpayers up.

I don't identify what you're talking about as a "speed trap". I know it as enforcing the law. And,I'm glad you brought up taxpayers. That's one of the services we taxpayers pay for - police ticketing the out-of-control speeders, so we'll be safe. There's a simple solution to your gripe and you really do have recourse. Obey the Law! Until then, we'll look for you stopped along Route 13 exiting and entering Delmar, Laurel, Seaford, Bridgeville, Greenwood, Harrington, Felton, Camden, Dover, and Smyrna. Wow! That could get expensive for you.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:02 AM

Aw gee guys! haha "obey the law" thanks for THAT advice, helpful, gosh I didn't know that. I'm very pleased to see that you consider paying the police force to issue tickets to us "out of control" speeders a civic duty, I appreciate it, even I feel much safer now. Maybe because it is the only ticket I have ever gotten (not even for parking), maybe it's because us "out of control speeders" are the cirminal scourge of the nation, I don't know, just seems like raising revenue by artificially lowering the speed limit is...well....a bit underhanded and dishonest. Of course, since I am a lawbreaker, I am sure my opinion doesn't count fro much. No matter. When it is your turn to get fined for some infraction that you felt while justified, was a bit underhanded, I am sure you will stand up, thank the officer, and sing the national anthem, and I for one applaud you for it.

Here's a nice little article:

America's Worst Speed Traps

If you’ve ever been pulled over for speeding, you know it feels like you’re a gazelle that just got taken down by a lion.

And, while this recession, and the gaping budget holes that resulted, have turned most cities into a jungle for motorists, there are some cities that have far more speed traps than others. And automated traffic cams have only egged them on – Now they can snag just as many motorists for speeding, if not more, with less manpower.

It’s hard to get this information from the police or the courts for two reasons: 1) Many tickets are negotiated in court and 2) speed limits, while originally designed to conserve fuel during the energy crisis of the 1970s, have grown into a cash cow for states and municipalities – and they don’t want you to know how much they’re making off of speeding tickets.

“Speed limits are supposed to be based on factual studies of traffic and what the majority of motorists deem as a safe speed,” said Chad Dornsife, director of the Highway Safety Group . “Now, the posted limit has become a revenue generator – not a safety device.”

The National Motorists Association, a drivers’ rights group, estimates that speeding tickets are a $4.5 to $6 billion industry in America.

To be clear, speeding tickets aren’t just for lead foots: In some places, they’ll ticket you for going one mile over the speed limit and others set the speed limits artificially low.

“In some places, the average speed limit is set 10 to 15 miles below the actual safe speed for conditions,” Dornsife said. “It makes technical violators out of people otherwise driving safely.”

Click ahead to see the top 10 cities with the most speed traps, based on driver reports to the NMA.

By Cindy Perman

Old 03-18-2011, 07:05 AM

Joe, I know you're frustrated, but no matter how many times you keep Spinning It, the law is the law. It's been quite a few years since I got a speeding ticket, and I was not happy about it either. But, I learned the lesson. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware