U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 07:43 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,549,384 times

Advertisements

We've been looking since the summer of 2005 and plan on moving in about 2 years. Since we have time we've checked out South Jersey, PA and DE and have seen alot of 55+.

I realize that a big part of DE is land lease and that's a def NO for us. Is Southern Meadows land lease?

What about Jonathan's Landing (Land lease???)[/quote]>

[color="Purple"]

I am a resident of Southern Meadows. We just moved in Feb. I have to say for the money, It has been well worth it. My Husband and I have been researching 55+ communities for about 2 years now from Florida, AZ, pa, NJ and DE.
The location is perfect. I love the ruralness and yet so close to Dover that has every store and restaurant imaginable.
Johnathan's landing are stick and brick homes. Southern Meadows are manufactured. That is the difference in the price.

We were looking for something nice for the best price so we can use our money to travel. I do not want to be house poor. We are both retired and want to enjoy life.

We have had no problem with our home up to now and love the layout. We have a two car garage, our lawn is taken care of, there is a pool, fitness center and activies. People are great and we just love it here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 06:18 PM

8,445 posts, read 12,413,046 times
The Mrs. and I were down at Jonathan's Landing last weekend. It's not a land lease and borders the golf course.

Taxes were about $1400 for the Augusta model and it started at $279,000.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:15 AM

Default Southern Meadows

[communities and what part of central New Jersey are you from. Southern Meadows is a small 55 plus with manufactured homes. I believe they are made by Skyline. It is located on the edge of Magnolia and we liked the country atmosphere. We are from the southern part of New Jersey near Delaware and live in the country. Next week we will explore the shore area. We are seriously thinking about buying something that does not involve a 55 plus land lease. Property taxes are cheap in Delaware, but ground rent is not. Unless allot is included in the ground rent, it is not worth it to us. Dover's Senior Center seems to offer allot of things to do and at reasonable rates.

We just moved to Southern Meadows In February and we love it. Most 55+ communities are land lease and from my research over the past year and a half, I found Delaware to be the best for our money.
We checked out places in Pa, NJ, Florida, Arizona and DE. Forget New Jersey. Cost of living is too high. Pa was okay but we were looking to get the most for our money so we are not house poor and can travel and have the time of our lives.
This place is the perfect place for this time in our lives. They are part manufactured. The two car garage is built from scratch. The people are great and we find the land lease pays for our services that let us live like king and queen.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:19 PM

To roxanne
There are a few trailer parks that should be condemend. But to my surprise, right next door are gorgeous developments springing up.
Yes, Magnolia is a small, small town but I like a small town. tons of farms around and makes for a rural setting.
I love our community. We live in a 55+ and have everything here such as pool, gym and activities.
when we go shopping it takes us 10 minutes up route 13 for a ton of stores. I love the dover mall by the way. It has penny's, Macy's, Sears, Bosov's and a lot of small stores such as Old Navy, hallmark and so on.
As far as nightlife goes, we don't do that. We're retired and do most of our entertaining in the day. We do go on a lot of little and big trips though.
A few farm markets not far and the beach is only 30 minutes away.
Yes, we do love it here and we love our new home. A brand new home with a 2 car garage. Neighbors are fantastic too.

Delaware is the new florida for seniors. There are a few 55+ communities in the area. We happen to pick this one because it had more to offer for a great price.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:54 AM

speaking of Jonathans landing....$279 is rather high and so are the taxes. It depends on what your needs are and how you want to live.
My husband and I did not want to be house poor. Southern Meadows has just about everything we could want including a brand new stylish home with a 2 car garage.
Our taxes run $284 a year but we have a community fee of $365 a month. That includes trash removal, cutting the lawn, snow removal, use of club house and facities.
We do not wish to be house poor but want extra money to travel, eat out and spend out money on sites to see.
Our home is manufactured and the community has a pool, fitness center, club house and activies.
REad some reports on magnolia and some were not favorable. There are a few undesirable "trailer" parks in the area that looked like they should be condememd.
But that could be just about anywhere. I feel very safe in my commuity and just love living here.

But there are many brand new beautiful commuinities springing up. Dover is not far and I love the rural area.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:16 PM

8,445 posts, read 12,413,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
speaking of Jonathans landing....$279 is rather high and so are the taxes. It depends on what your needs are and how you want to live.
My husband and I did not want to be house poor. Southern Meadows has just about everything we could want including a brand new stylish home with a 2 car garage.
Our taxes run $284 a year but we have a community fee of $365 a month. That includes trash removal, cutting the lawn, snow removal, use of club house and facities.
We do not wish to be house poor but want extra money to travel, eat out and spend out money on sites to see.
Our home is manufactured and the community has a pool, fitness center, club house and activies.
REad some reports on magnolia and some were not favorable. There are a few undesirable "trailer" parks in the area that looked like they should be condememd.
But that could be just about anywhere. I feel very safe in my commuity and just love living here.

But there are many brand new beautiful commuinities springing up. Dover is not far and I love the rural area.
Price and taxes are all relative. Compared to NJ. $279,000 and $1400 in taxes are dirt cheap and you own the land.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:54 AM

25 posts, read 127,921 times
Default Elizamary, happy for you!

I note that you've addressed a post to me. If you've read a number of my posts on different threads, you will have seen that I've said that the Dover area may be a good fit for some people, and I'm glad for anyone who finds it so. I have praised various things about the area. It has, however, certainly not worked out for our family.

One of the things I've pointed out is that you can find a lot of house for the money in Dover and environs. The wildlife refuge near Leipsic is excellent. The presence of the Amish community can be nice. From where we live in Dover, it's an hour to Rehoboth, but we find the shore area far too crowded during the warm months. Still, we enjoy walking the beach late October through April, and a few good restaurants remain open during those months, though their serving days may be abbreviated.

When I first joined this thread, I thought it was unfair to represent Magnolia itself as more than a tiny town, with little to recommend it. I stand by that observation. That you love your house, your development, and so on--is great. No doubt others feel the same.

I find the shopping opportunities in Dover limited. I'm glad you don't.

I find very little of interest in Dover. I'm glad you like the town. Far too many of our friends haven't been able to bear the area, and have been able to move, as we hope to do soon.

Recently, I read an article in one of Delaware's magazines that was full of complaints about the lack of anything to do in Dover. They interviewed college students, who said that there's nowhere to go except the Dover Mall in the immediate area, and that the mall is hardly adequate. The article writer pointed out that downtown Dover (much of which is closed, sad to say) might be a good area for cafes and other businesses that would appeal not only to area students, but to other residents.

Retirees, if they have their own interests and hobbies, may not mind that the area is a rather bland place to live. Over the many years we've lived here, to the present, we have found that we mind it very much, and are so glad that our children have been able to move on.

We continue to look for a place elsewhere: one that has the TRULY IMPORTANT things that are missing (see my other posts, if you want to bother!) in the Dover area. We have 3000 square feet here, and we freely admit that everywhere we'd like very much to live is far more expensive. We won't sell this house for nearly as much as we'd like.

I'm glad you've found your place. Best to you.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:26 PM

[Price and taxes are all relative. Compared to NJ. $279,000 and $1400 in taxes are dirt cheap and you own the land.>>

Jersey is ridiculous. We were going to check out a few and when we found out the price, immediately dismissed living in Jersey.

Southern Meadows is a really nice brand new community with a two car garage.
Home starts at $122, community fee $365 and taxes $284.00

For us.........This was the way to go with a pool, gym, clubhouse and activies too.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:40 PM

Wink to Roxanne

You lived here for 20 years...........No wonder you are going nuts. We felt that way about Philly. Lived there all my life and was tired of homes on top on each other and no wide open spaces.
Each person had different needs. If my kids were younger, I would probably not like it here but we are seniors and this area is adequate. There is a Khols, target, walmart, K mart, discount stores and some others I can't think of right now.

I can't believe you dont' like the Dover Mall. Maybe you are tired of it. I think it is a great MaLL If I was going to ride out of the area to shop, I would go to Rehobeth Outlets.
We just got back today from there. Left early to sit on the beach. What a wonderful day. It was a half hour from our home and we really enjoyed the day.

I also like the fact that since we moved everything is cheaper. Even our car payment. Moving from philly with taxes, we saved $30 when we moved here. Same on My mobile phone, insurance, taxes and so one. My gas bill was only $13 last month. These are prices that I can surely live with.

Dover city is neat with all the brick state buildings with white pillars.

We have just retired and find everything we need but if we were college students, this would not be too exciting. We have been there done that.
We have many activities in our community and really don't have to go far.

There are many really small towns in the dover area. Most you ride out of if you blink.

We found a doctor that takes 20 minutes to a half hour with each of us.
My doctor in Philly was a rush in and rush you out type.
The doctor is on Queen st I belive. Totse Tonwe With family health of Delaware.
They have been very through in the two visits we had with them. My husband found a nuerologist, Dr Penny, that he really likes. So we have been lucky.

I think it is time for you to move on. You sound disgusted with the area. maybe been here too long.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:57 PM

Thumbs up To Pa

[DE is the new spot for retirees because taxes here are so reasonable.
Com'on down , winters are mild,no more bumper to bumper rush hour, it's close to the beach,and mortgages go away but taxes don't. Check it out.}
Hi Pa.............
We just moved here in FEb and I agree with your assessment of The Dover area.
Winters are mild, Close to beach (was there today), no taxes, my cell phone bill dropped $25, our Car Payment dropped $30, My car insurance also dropped. Our taxes are $284 a year since we dont' own the land. We do pay a community fee but they cut our lawn, we have a pool, gym activies, snow removal and walking trail. So we get a lot for our lot fee.

coming from Northeast Philly, this is a treat for us. We now have a two car garage with only one car so I set up an arts and crafts table there.

We just love retirement here. Do what we want, when we want in the wide open spaces
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware