Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2007, 07:19 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,433,874 times

Advertisements

and any other surrounding areas or small towns, all within a half hours drive, either direction please...Is is best to be in the south, west, north for example., what side of town is bad? I am leaning towards investigating more of Smyrna, Magnolia and Lewes Beach area, any other good areas with safe schools? I really appreciate the help as we might be moving really soon, if my hubby accepts the offer, so thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 08:24 AM

25 posts, read 143,908 times
I wouldn't recommend living in Dover, period. But if you're determined to move to Delaware, visit for as long as you can. In terms of housing and neighborhoods in Dover, you should be able to find what you want fairly easily. If that's what you're interested in--fine. If you want really good schools, a good hospital, excellent doctors, some culture, don't look in Dover or, for that matter almost anywhere in Delaware, with the possible exception of the Newark / Wilmington area, which come with their own problems.

Magnolia is a tiny town--blink and you'll miss it--with a large development or two attached. You'll rely on Dover for everything. Not good--in our opinion.

Smyrna, too, is more or less greater Dover. So relying on Dover again.

Lewes is small, charming, with more appeal because it's on the bay and not far from the ocean, but the hospital is not good, and therefore finding good doctors will be tough. (You do have children, I think you said.) Obviously, it's most appealing in the warmer months. I've heard it's a very tight community to break into, but perhaps that's changing as more and more housing is being built. It is attracting many people nearing or of retirement age. To me, that would be when it would be most important to have excellent doctors and hospitals nearby!

Wish I could help. We dislike this state. Maybe you'll like it a lot.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:38 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,340,579 times
I have been a very happy resident of Delaware for the past 8 years after living in the Philly area for most of my life. Does Delaware have problems? Of course. Are they manageable? Of course.

While I have never lived in the Dover area, my in-laws lived in Hartly, just west of Dover, for almost 6 years and loved it. The have recently moved to Myrtle Beach to fulfill a life-long dream. However, they did their shopping in Dover and had attending physicians in Dover and were very pleased. Like anything else, you must spend the time to find the right doctor for you. I know that my brother-in-law's doctor has retired. I will ask a co-worker who lived in Dover for many years and now lives in Smyrna who her doctors are. My sister-in-law, because she was over 60, went to a women's only clinic and was very pleased. She is a breast cancer survivor and lived her entire life in Rhode Island before moving to Delaware. She kept her RI doctor for a long time until going to this clinic.

Public schools are improving. When I started teaching here 10 years ago, I was shocked at what I saw. However, many educational reforms are in place, and the quality of education is improving. Keep in mind, though, that Delaware is the home of private schools.

If I could live anywhere in Delaware, it would be in the Lewes area. Just like Roxanna said, though, healthcare in that area is not good. However, with so many people moving into the area, you should see improvement there also.

I'll get back to you with any more info.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:47 AM

I'm glad that SXMGirl has had a positive experience. Bear, where she lives, is in northern Delaware.

Please do not consider Hartly without visiting. At risk of offending, even the most provincial residents of Dover consider Hartly hayseed territory. Nothing there, so again, you will rely on Dover for everything.

During our family's 20+ years in Dover, we have experienced horrors with doctors and the hospital, and we have heard far too many even worse things from friends--virtually all of whom have moved away, as quickly as possible.
When doctors and their families will not themselves be treated in a community for anything even potentially serious, when they head to Philadelphia or Baltimore, or at very least, to northern Delaware, well, don't you see that as a clear warning?

I would strongly recommend going the private school--mostly well to the north in Delaware--route if you are able.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:36 AM

Default Oh goodness...

We will be making 20 more a year and I suppose we could use that for a private education. Housing is cheaper and so is the cost of living where we live now. I more less use alterntaive meds and have little use for real drs. But it would be nice to have one a good one, if something should happen too. I have lived in some bad places, currently we are living in the slum area of a over priced, overrated town in Va. So...I want out of here, alot of drugs, immigrants living in tents, you name it, and to think we paid as much as we have for our single family home Not good, but at least since housing that is affordable and so many people want to live in my school district, I have a great chance at selling my home, even making a small profit too, after only a few years of home ownership, so that is good. Geez does anyone like Delaware? I will def go visit...my hubbys company is doing alot for us, including company housing and meals and etc while we search for a home, they either really love my husbands talent, and he is well sought after or they are very despeate or maybe both...but its something I will be leary of and yes lewes beach is on my list..beautiful there! Thanks again!

Old 03-30-2007, 05:35 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,488 times
I lived in Dover from 1980-1985 and really liked it....but it sounds like it's changed a lot

Old 03-31-2007, 01:46 PM

21 posts, read 155,047 times
Default More information

You always want to get more than one opinion and be especially aware of the opinion of someone who believes they are stuck living somewhere they don't want to be.
I've been a resident of Magnolia for nine years, work at the local hospital and believe this is a very good place to live, work and raise a family. It is most common of those living in Newark/Wilmington to look south with their noses raised high.
The hospitals are very good and there are excellent doctors, nurses and ancillary staff. As with any hospital there are waits in the ER and you may run across a not so nice staff member, but remember to call that person on their behavior and write a letter to the president if you are not satisfied. The larger hospital in north Delaware does more marketing telling everyone they are better but larger does not always mean best. Dover does offer all service with the exception of neurosurgery and specialized pediatric care. As with any service you should do your homework and make sure you are comfortable with the training, service and care. It seems to be the American way to put down you local hospital and think it's always better somewhere else.
The schools are safe, but in my experience the test scores follow the parents income. The schools have what you will need, you will need to meet with the teachers and be sure to keep your child on track. Each high school is different with AP classes but they are available.
Dover is the largest area with 40K people, they have the mall, cinema, some musical events etc.
Smyrna is smaller but closer to the larger mall up north. Smyrna is trying to bring more to their main st. with some new businesses and a restored opera house that has events, but it is a small area and you'll be driving north or south for some services.
Lewes is at the beach, and depending if you live to the east or west of US 1 it can be very crowded in season. The schools there are good. It would seem fun to live at the beach but the cost of housing is exceptionally high.
All areas have very good kid activities: all sports, dance, music, family activities, etc. Dover and Lewes area have a children's theater and those activities. You are near the water in all areas and can boat and fish. There are several green areas and state parks that have many family programs. Killen's Pond State Park is south of Dover and has excellent programs and activities. Lewes has Cape Henlopen State Park with many programs and activities.
Remember, this isn't the city, but that's a good thing. You can find what you are looking for here.

Old 03-31-2007, 06:02 PM

Thanks, I really appreciate the heads up here and agree that if someone is not happy they are prolly not going to see things as someone else who is happy where they live. It comforts me a bit to come here and read this, We had not ruled out DE and if we get a second interview, we most likely will come up and take a good look and then make our decision, as I would never base it on a message board completely anyhow, even if it was all good reports, I would still do the homework and then visit and then determine if it would work or not. I had bad experiences with the hospital where I am now, seems that no matter where i go its the underpaid unexperieced people who you first meet who I had the most problems with, never with a dr or nurse, except one, one DR Here is sorta of arrogant and has issues cause she thinks people are always juding her lifestyle when that could not be any further from the truth and she is always there, in your face, talking to you as if you are some uneducated idiot who does not know squat in life and that only she does...alot of complaints bout her, but she is the only one I know of and ran into here. Otherwise I say our medical care is good, could be worse, some people have no insurance too, so I take the good with the bad as I do with most things in life. Anyhow, nice to meet you, and thanks so much for the info, i was hoping someone else would post here and you did!

Old 03-31-2007, 07:54 PM

jjtdjr,

I agree that it's important to get more than one opinion, and PPANative heard from a number of us who are less than happy living in the greater Dover area. My husband and I, and our young children, arrived here more than 20 years ago, and we expected to like the area. It took a few years, some pretty difficult experiences, and almost everyone we met and really liked moving away, for us to begin to be unhappy. Even after that we tried our best to embrace--ultimately just to deal with--the area.

I've pointed out a number of problems, and so have others. Most of them I'll not repeat, but I will emphasize to PPANative to be very careful about schools, and more than anything else, about doctors and hospitals. We and friends have experienced terrible situations when it comes to basic care, emergency care, care for chronic illnesses and--well, I've said enough. Except that we, too, are careful eaters, exercisers, and illness can happen regardless--as, of course, can accidents.

I've never lived in northern Delaware so I'm not one of those looking "south with their noses raised high."

PNative seems to be living in an area that is truly nightmarish. We have encountered more than a few of our own nightmare situations in this part of Delaware and are very glad that our work situations now permit us to move, but no doubt there are many people who thoroughly enjoy living here. In 20 years, though, I can only think of two I've met who seemed genuinely enthusiastic. Most people, the ones who can't or won't leave for one reason or another have a "Well, what can you expect? It's Delaware" kind of attitude. I guess the ones who love this area are hiding!

Nevertheless, I want PNative OUT of the place she/he (sorry PNative, not sure) and family are currently living, and based on what she's written I think that this area is far better. You see, my honest reaction. I have been completely straightforward and truthful--as I see the truth--in every post to this board.

Best to you PPNative!

Old 03-31-2007, 09:05 PM

Smile I really appreciate and value all of these posts!

And I can't really thank you all enough for expressing your opinons bout as truthfully as you all have, does my heart good at this moment and time here. Yes, we are in a very dangerous situation. I can't go into detail, cause there are people on here who do not like talking bout things and it really wouldn't be too hard to figure out who I am and well you know the drug business is very scary and makes many rich too.

Other things also go on with drug homes and rings, things I rather not write bout but things I had found out bout from some others who live up the street, I sincerly hope its not this way everywhere and that where we are, is just a flux. Many of my neighbors are moving out or have done so. Some are stuck here and want to leave but can't. I better not say more here. Sex offenders too close by, my life is really is nightmare and I worry bout my family and I trust no one here, no one.

Anyhow, we are taking proactive steps to getting out and soon. We got alot of interest and thankfully some look very prospetive here. All I want is to be able to get my mail, walk my dog, feel safe in doing so, take care of things and be a good wife and mother and not worry. Its fine if I do not have exciting places to go, its ok if some things are ok or far reaching, I can do that, what I can't do is breathe very well right now, even with my ADT alarm on at all times.

Anyhow, did not mean to go on here, sorry bout that, but I just wanted to say how thankful I am for this forum and you all being so kind and upfront, its ok we all see it differently here, glad I was able to hear all your comments, will help me termendously and hopefully someone else who lurks but doesn't post maybe.

Take care all,
PPA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware