U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 10:57 AM

4 posts, read 8,161 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have seen some similar post to this but they were a few years old so I thought I'd create a new one with our specifics.

My husband is looking for jobs in Wilmington and we're wondering where we should live. Our original plan was to move to Philadelphia (suburbs) But he now thinks he might want to work in Wilmington so now we're also considering living there. We're relocating from Connecticut because it is just too expensive here.

We are a young family with a 2 1/2 year old and one on the way. We want a suburban area but close to the city (philly) We want good schools, because my so will be starting in a few years.

Not positive on our price range just yet but we'll likely be able to afford $350K-$450K.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 03:48 PM

604 posts, read 1,775,184 times
Acjasmin:

Your DH must have done good analysis ... Living in Delaware will definitely be the best move financially .. It is close to Philly and slightly farther away from Baltimore for any Big City activities you may be interested in..

Delaware has no sales tax, property taxes are very reasonable, Income tax laws allow for all Schedule A deductions ... Cost of living is resonable e.g. gas price today is $1.81/Gallon

If you are interested to maintain contact w/your current friends and family in CT you might choose to live in New Castle Co. (NCC) - northern-most, less rural and closest to NJ Turnpike.

There are several good locations within the NCC that will be appropriate and available in the price-range you mentioned - Northern-most area of NCC (coz closest to Philly) developed early and therefore, has well-established - also means older - neighorhoods in the price range you mentioned but if you decide on a location south-westerly you will be closer to Balto. or beaches or Chesapeake Bay - if that is of interest to you.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-14-2009 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: No need to advertise

Old 03-14-2009, 04:24 PM

12,602 posts, read 28,016,654 times
If schools are a priority, look over this site and compare the various districts in PA and Delaware: Schooldigger.com -- Search and compare elementary, middle, and high schools. or SchoolMatters - Home (http://www.schoolmatters.com/ - broken link)

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:24 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,291,897 times
In your price range I would suggest the Brandywine Hundred (part of suburban "North Wilmington"). Other recent Wilmington relocation threads will further flesh out this matter for you.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:40 PM

12 posts, read 38,004 times
Default House wanted in N. Wilmington, Delaware

We are looking for a home in the N. Wilmington, Delaware or surrounding area with a 2-car garage and a basement. We don't need to be near schools. If you or someone you know is interested in selling, please let us know. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or