Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2007, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,071 times

Advertisements

Yup...another life long NJ resident looking to get out. I work right near the Philadelphia airport and would like to keep my commute to 45 minutes or less and am looking for a suburban area with houses around the $300k mark (new construction or 10 years old or less homes). The wife and I don't (nor will we) have kids so school districts aren't that important to us. We just want a quiet type neighborhood...white picket fence type of thing. Nightlife isn't important to us either. We know absolutely nothing about DE so can someone recommend some areas to look into that fit the bill? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 12:42 PM

249 posts, read 489,723 times
Brandywine Hundred (along Rt. 202 north of the city), Ardens are probably the best bet, but I can't vouch for northbound traffic. Everytime I'm driving north of the Brandywine river bridge it's pretty awful any time of day :/

Old 04-15-2007, 11:05 AM

7 posts, read 29,700 times
Default Need recommendation

to keep your commute down to 45 minutes , your best bet would be north Wilmington, around 202 area. However the homes will be older and the new construction will be out of your price range. Othe areas in Delaware that are a quick hop onto 95 would be parts of Bear, Pike Creek and Newark. I live in Hockessin and it takes me about 45 minutes to take my husband to the airport in Philly. So pretty much all of these areas are close enough but the type of housing might dictate where you will end up.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:58 PM

5 posts, read 15,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucefan View Post
Yup...another life long NJ resident looking to get out. I work right near the Philadelphia airport and would like to keep my commute to 45 minutes or less and am looking for a suburban area with houses around the $300k mark (new construction or 10 years old or less homes). The wife and I don't (nor will we) have kids so school districts aren't that important to us. We just want a quiet type neighborhood...white picket fence type of thing. Nightlife isn't important to us either. We know absolutely nothing about DE so can someone recommend some areas to look into that fit the bill? Thanks in advance.
Something to consider...the gas and electric company in Delaware just hiked up their rates last year by 57%. That's alot, especially because they were already high. Compare rates before you move out here and find out you can't afford to keep the lights on or heat your home! It sounds crazy, but it's true. Alot of people bought big houses for cheap out here and then Delmarva (gas & electric company) increased their rates. Now all those people with big houses are having a hard time paying the cost to heat them. You'd be amazed at how high it is. Also, the state raised the property taxes. And I hear they want to do alot more increases. Because of this alot of people are selling their homes and the property value is decreasing. Many people that moved into the state will be leaving. Things to consider.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:14 AM

249 posts, read 489,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer5 View Post
Something to consider...the gas and electric company in Delaware just hiked up their rates last year by 57%. That's alot, especially because they were already high.
I just moved out of the Newark incorporated utility area and into Delmarva/United Water land. I just saw that I'm paying 0.15/kwh or so total (power + delivery).

In the NYC metro area, think more like 0.25-0.35/kwh.

Jes' sayin..

Old 01-31-2008, 12:20 PM

61 posts, read 208,391 times
I will be moving to Wilmington or Newark in March from Richmond, Va.

Have the Electric and Gas rates actually increased that much in Delaware where people are thinking of moving out?

Old 02-01-2008, 02:49 PM

35 posts, read 135,126 times
Some I suppose would think of moving out of New Castle County where the prices in utilities have dramatically changed in the last year and a half.

As for moving out of Delaware completely, probably not. But, of course, that's just opinion.

My utility bill in Kent County which includes electric, trash, water, and sewer runs around $250 for a family of 5 (2 teens, 2 adults, 1 baby). This is in a fairly new townhouse with 3 floors. The gas is non-existant except for the winter when it runs approx. 130.00/mnth.

In New Castle County, I've heard of just electric bills being close to $400 for the same set up.

Connectiv stinks! Just opinion- of course!

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware