Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2009, 02:46 PM

17 posts, read 60,351 times

Advertisements

In about a year my husband and I will FINALLY be able to settle after many moves around CA and the South West Area. While these areas have been good to us, they lack in some things I would like in a place where I settle FOR GOOD.

I lived the first 6 years of life on the east coast and spent a few summers there as an older kid and am enamored with it from my memories of it. I believe the somewhere on the East Coast I may able to find my perfect location. (Hopefully someone on here can help me!)

I'm posting this in several different states I feel may be ones that have towns or cities that fit this criteria, but if you have a suggestion of another town in a different state, I'm open to all ideas.

Here's what I am looking for in a new home and community.

I want to live somewhere:

- Where it's very green and lush with nature, and grass, and hills, and lots and lots of trees, especially deciduous trees.

- Where is gets four distinct seasons, of snow in the winter, rain and new growth in the spring, warm or hot weather in the summer, and deciduous trees that change color in the fall with all the traditional orange, red and yellow colors all over the landscape.

- Where the community has a central hub where locals hang out, (maybe like a main street or central park) and where community events take place. Where there are events that focus on local sports for kids, and theater and art. Where there are festivals and such several times a year or farmer's market's, etc.

- Where there are pick your own produce orchard and or farms no great than 60-120 miles outside of town.

- Where there are hiking or bike trails near by and or parks where one could walk, bike, or rollerblade in the warmer months.

- Where the town has a small town feel, although it doesn't have to be small. It could be anywhere from 500 to 50,000+ so long as it has a feeling of unity and such in the community with events, and rec center for youth and adults and what not.

- Where gardening is good and you don't have to work really hard (like 2-3 years) before you can get things to grow even remotely in your back yard soil.

- Where there is a major city of over 100,000 within about 60 miles that has a college or colleges, and a Sam's Club or Costco like shopping center.

- Where cost of living isn't through the roof. (Example standard house of 3br/2bath 1500 sq. ft. costing $700,000 is too much in my opinion) My thresh hold for a house of this type costing too much would be $400,000.

- Here is a strange request but I would like there to be a ballroom dance studio and theater group in the city/town. (If not in town I can settle for it being in the major city just outside of town)

- And here is the strangest request yet, but I would like to find a community that is fairly split in its political preference of both republican and democrat. Or at least not heavily one and really skimpy on another.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE TIME ANYONE TAKES TO RESPOND.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 07:13 AM

445 posts, read 1,432,378 times
Generally you have described PA or the northern portions of DE. In DE, south of the canal (or RT 40 on map) is flat and less green. In DE, check the Northwestern parts of Newark (NEW-ark, not like NJ), near White Clay State Park and Hockessin (Ho-kess-in). Key to Newark's draw is the University of Delaware and all the arts, culture and activities it adds to the community.

DE has tax advantage, but a place in PA that may closest meet your description is Lititz, PA. A quaint village, old shops, artist people, etc and it is 15 minutes from shopping in Lancaster, PA or 75 miles from downtown Philadelphia.

Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware