U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 05:21 PM

6 posts, read 30,486 times

Advertisements

Today a list of the 20 Most Dangerous States was published

and Delaware came in at number 12.

this after it came out in the paper this weekend that some

guy was found slumped in his car in Bear....

which we thought was a great area.

I've read post after post on this forum.... and I still don't

understand... I mean I'm in South Jersey and we are in

an incredibly safe town where we can't even remember the

last time there was a violent crime (i.e. rape, murder or

assault) but then again 15 miles away is the City of Camden

which is consistently voted 1 of the most dangerous cities.

But its a totally different world from my town.

For those in Delaware is it that far apart between say the

inner city of Wilmington and say Middletown...

or does everyone need a dog and an adt alarm....

Is it a place to raise a family?

What say you ???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 10:23 PM

605 posts, read 1,138,400 times
I'd say only certain parts of Wilmington tend to really violent. I have lived in the Newark and Hockessin area for quite some time and haven't heard of any violent crimes, now property crimes is a whole other matter. Just gotta be smart out there.

However, Wilmington has the most problems, followed by some New Castle areas, followed by certain areas of Dover.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:43 AM

376 posts, read 879,070 times
Where can I find this list of dangerous states?

Old 03-24-2009, 05:28 AM

4,128 posts, read 13,270,056 times
I don't think we can post links on CD, you have to google it and it'll come up, however, my understanding is that it WAS #12, now it's #17.

Try this in case I'm wrong - take out spaces -

http://www.walletpop.com/insurance/most-dangerous-states

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-24-2009 at 10:17 AM..

Old 03-24-2009, 09:44 AM

177 posts, read 604,417 times
It's northern Delaware and I hope it stays up there too!

Gee, I wonder why!

Old 03-24-2009, 10:30 AM

12,605 posts, read 28,030,380 times
Honeycrisp is right, it's number 17, not number 12. I've got to say I disagree about the crime in New Jersey only being in the city. My parents live in South Jersey and tell me about the gangs in their schools and this is in Cumberland County, quite a distance south of Camden. Here's a recent article that popped up when I googled their town: Join gang or be killed - NJ.com

As far as I know, there are no gangs in Lower Delaware.

This link: http://os.cqpress.com/rankings/Crime...kings_2009.pdf Shows Delaware as number 34. I like that number better.

BTW, links to news articles are allowed, but not links to real estate or sites competing with citi-data.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:42 PM

4,128 posts, read 13,270,056 times
Thank you for clarifying, toobusytoday, good to know as I've had at least one link removed in the past which I now believe was a mistake (it was some time ago and I can't even rem. what it was in reference to). At any rate, I take some of those surveys w/ a grain of salt, while I didn't check into this one too much, many are random and the results can vary greatly. JMO.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:47 PM

823 posts, read 3,369,375 times
What are the figures based on? New York City has a lot more crimes then the whole state of Delaware yet New York state isn't listed as a dangerous state.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:50 PM

6 posts, read 30,486 times
I don't know what it is based on... that is what is disturbing and I agree that the media can take information and distort it in any manner they choose... I'm how can California not be there with all the stuff that happens in LA or parts of New York City... but I wonder if the numbers are adjusted for the population so that its percentages that make the ranking.

I'm not knocking Delaware ... and definitely not praising New Jersey.. I'm dying to get out of here with my 10k a year property tax bill..... but I don't want to die in my dying to get out ...

Yes there is crime everywhere... but like here in Jersey..

there is Cherry Hill, or Marlton, or Moorestown crime and there is Camden, or Vineland, or Newark New Jersey (not the one in Delaware) crime which is completely different.

One you might get your car broken into ...... the other you might wind up a chalk outline in the morning.

Does that make sense ??

Old 03-26-2009, 09:43 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,488,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
What are the figures based on? New York City has a lot more crimes then the whole state of Delaware yet New York state isn't listed as a dangerous state.

Based on population NYC has over 8 million residents while the state of Deleware has over 800,000.

It`s calculated by population devided by number of murders in a city or state. There is a town in Alabama called Prichard population around 30,000 had 18 murders last year so 30,000/ 18 = 1 out of every1,666 of the resiedents in Prichard will fall victim to a violent crime . Another example NYC -8 mill residents 600 murders = 1 out of 13,333 residents will fall victim to a violent crime in NYC. So according to the figures givin this small town of Prichard ,Alabama is more dangerous than the biggest city in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware