U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 01:38 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,459,598 times

Advertisements

I didn't realize there was a Trader Joe's up there. Thanks, Tralfaz! Just about anything you are looking for is on 202....north of Wilmington, close to PA.

But as I sit and think, I probably won't go anyway. The traffic up there is such a challenge for us old people. I avoid the Mall because of the crazy drivers.

It's more that I wish some of that sort of life style was available in mid DE. It probably will be....in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 04:02 PM

249 posts, read 411,822 times
Exactly: NCCo is basically the tax-free shopping mecca for Philly, West Chester and south NJ, so any place looking to build a store in DE would prefer the 202 corridor.

I'm still shocked that there isnt' an Ikea in DE.

(and I can't wait for Verizon to start turning up the FiOS in Newark...)

Old 03-29-2007, 05:22 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,148,998 times
I do think as people move into the state, things will grow, I mean my hometown had nothing 15 years ago and now you have all the crime and grime that goes along with that too, its not always a good thing to have in your back yard, not always anyhow!

Old 04-01-2007, 11:14 PM

99 posts, read 278,553 times
Default Roxanna

Hey: Sorry for taking me so long to respond..please dont feel guilty about anything you may have told us about Dover, or Delaware in general. We are just looking for opinions and to help us gather more info in making one of the most important decision that anyone has to make....Directly there is nothing positive or negative from one party that would make us say yes or no to a definative move,that has to come from us after we weigh all the options and compare all areas of interest....Your comments just steer us in areas that we need to find out more in...Hope that made sense and we thank you again!!!!!!

Old 04-02-2007, 04:14 PM

770 posts, read 3,395,767 times
I looked into Deleware and did not like what I saw. I really wanted to be sold on Deleware because that would be the perfect spot to buy an affordable home, be closer to NJ(where our family is) and lower taxes. However after reading these posts and visiting several times the communities are very mixed, it seems gloomy there. If you are determined to move to the area, I would look into Greensboro, MD...it is about 15 miles west of Dover. It is a small town, which is beginning to grow. You can get a newly built home for 225K or less. I have opted to take off to North Carolina...good luck!

Old 04-06-2007, 09:47 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,148,998 times
NJ...Greensboro MD..do they have high taxes, I would like to know more bout that myself, DE does seem to have its share of problems, very very high crime, I did hear lewes beach was the best place there, might consider it, but if its a third world nation sceranio, then I am scrathching that off my list as well!

Old 04-06-2007, 11:20 AM

21 posts, read 141,115 times
Default Too much analyzing

My goodness. Why wouldn't you all move from Dover five minutes after you arrived? It seems such a sad existence. While individually I am sure everything on this post is written as true. Who could think that elsewhere the same sad stories do not play out everyday?
Good luck to you all in your search for nirvana. Moving out of your own thinking mind would be a first step.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:12 AM

25 posts, read 127,836 times
Default jjtdjr

You make a point, of course, when you suggest that nirvana doesn't exist--anywhere. Well, probably not . But surely you understand that people can get trapped, in a very real sense, where they live. We were not long out of college, with little ones, and finding jobs for the two of us, in our fields, was not easy. Dover made a pretty good impression, and we thought we'd find more to like about it, and that it would grow in good ways.

It took us a few years and some medical near-disasters, and the ongoing loss of friends (to other states), and bad school experiences, and--well, a lot more of extremely not-good stuff--to convince us otherwise. But we needed our jobs, and there were other difficulties associated with moving. The major problem now is that we will not get enough for our large, pleasant house to be able to buy a house even close to comparable almost anywhere that we'd really like to live. Dover (and environs) is fine for getting a good deal on housing if you're moving from more expensive areas, but pretty awful when you want to move almost anywhere else. Or so it seems.

I think I'll hold onto my "own thinking mind," thanks.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:05 PM

124 posts, read 273,769 times
Default Delaware Downside(s)

Hi:
I grew up on the Eastern Shore of Maryland back before there was the Bay Bridge. My wife and I are presently living in Mexico and we were thinking of "retiring" back to the Delmarva area. I was tending toward Delaware---as mentioned, housing is fairly reasonable, taxes are some of the lowest in the US, and, being ex-military, I would be able to utilize the AF base at Dover.
I can see where the area would disappoint some people. I grew up in a small village and do not require a lot of "cultural" activities. Instead, I can spend my time messing with a garden, doing a little hunting/fishing, and I know a bunch of activities that can always use some additional "volunteers."
I would be very leery about going back to Maryland. It used to be that Taxachussets had a bad reputation, but, it has been replaced by MD as a taxhell.
Please, let's hear more pros and cons about the Del scene.

Sincerely,

Mike

Old 04-12-2007, 04:01 PM

5 posts, read 13,916 times
I just moved here from Jersey about 3 years ago. I bought a newly built house and was very happy.....until the state of Delaware decided to allow the gas and electric company to increase their rates by 57%. My home, that I was so happy to have, now costs me so much money to heat or cool!!! I now keep my home at 62 degrees and still my last month's bill was over $500. Property taxes are low, which is good. But I here that might be going up as well. Gasoline is higher than Jersey. And now the governor wants to jack up the sales tax on purchasing vehicles. Also, I heard she wants to increase the gasoline prices as well. The state officials are taking advantage of all the newcomers. They saw that so many people were moving into their state. And have decided to jack everything up and make a profit out of them. It is getting so expensive that I am considering moving to another state. Please check out the gas and electric rates before you move. Compare them against what you are paying now. Do your homework before you decide to move. Otherwise it can cost you. Delmarva (gas & electric company in DE) is causing alot of people to foreclose!! And now the property value is going down. I think alot of people will be moving back out. This state will be back to farmlands again. Such a shame. I really liked it here until the state government decided to get greedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or