Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 07:37 AM

2 posts, read 10,998 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am a 26 year old female contemplating taking a job in Wilmington, DE. I would be moving alone, so I am somewhat hesitant in relocating to an area that I know little about. I would like to know where people think is a good area to live for someone in my position: single, female, new to area.

A "good" area in my opinion is:
1. an area in or around the city (I think I would feel isolated in a suburb?)
2. an area where I could meet people my own age
3. an area that I can walk around and explore (hopefully worth exploring)
4. close to a nightlife scene
5. affordable (rent = $500-$900/mo).

I have read some previous posts on people in a similar situation...and I got the feel that not many people live in downtown Wilmington because there's not much there/its not safe--is this the case? I have read positive things about Trolley Square...any opinions or more thorough descriptions on this area???

Any constructive feedback would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 02:40 PM

604 posts, read 2,010,713 times
IMO, the rent range is inadequate --- and even if you would work in Wilmington have you considered living in Newark ... there, you can imagine walking and actually exploring something worthwhile .. be near younger crowd ... and your rent range at the top may be practical.

Maybe somebody else will chime in!

Old 08-07-2009, 12:07 PM

361 posts, read 1,946,945 times
Newark would be even more isolating, and rents for a decent place would start at 800 - not including heat and possibly even water, etc etc

Old 08-07-2009, 03:33 PM

What is that info. based on Katreese ... rent always includes water (lol)

Old 08-07-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armx View Post
What is that info. based on Katreese ... rent always includes water (lol)
My own apartment searches in Newark. Rent does not always include water.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:03 AM

I should clarify - HOT water. Several of the apartment managers I spoke with made it clear that cold water was free, hot water was not. I had never run into this before, either.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:18 PM

Thx for the clarification Katreese!!

As I read OP's post it led me to believe that she wants to be around people who are young and the location she wants to be is not just a heaven for commuters/downtown professionals who keep to themselves.

That is why I suggested Newark (City of) not suburban Newark.

Last edited by armx; 08-10-2009 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-20-2009, 08:45 AM

324 posts, read 1,220,443 times
I honestly think that living in Delaware, Wilmington or not, it somewhat isolated in itself...but thats what people are looking for a lot of times when they move here.

To get anywhere besides the YMCA or the state Police troop outside my developement, I have to drive. Not because I want to but because crossing US Rt 40 (4 lanes divided - 50+ MPH at all times) or Rt 896 (6 lanes + turn lanes - 50+ MPH except when traffic is stopped at the light) is extremely dangerous and not advisable. There is a shopping plaza and movie theatre less than 1 mile from my house that I have to drive to...simply walking anywhere is not an option until they put in sidewalks and crossing lights for pedestrians. That is one thing we are really lacking in all but the "incorporated" towns, sidewalks...the state, as it has developed, has not accomodated pedestrians as much as they have bikes, forcing more traffic on to the roads.

But with that said, like it or not, Delaware is a drive somewhere to do something state. My wife is from south shore area of Boston burbs (just outside Quincy). When her cousin came down here to visit, she kept asking why we kept getting on the highways to drive anywhere, voicing that back home, they do not have to always take highways to get anywhere.

And as far as the "hot" water is concerned, it is either going to be heated using electricity or gas/propane. So, the hot water is not a "water" cost but the cost to heat the water. Free heat and hot water are a thing of the past...ask any landlord that caught a tennant in winter with the heat to 80° or higher and the windows open because the apartment was too hot.

With all that said, the Trolley Square area is a nice area and close to Wilmington central area. It has a few different shops and bars, and Ciao pizza is pretty good (don't expect to find Papa Gino's style pizza anywhere down here). It is a younger area with Y.U.P.s in the 20- early 30's range but outside of what used to be the old trolley area (the square itself), it is mostly residential with not much else to see or do without walking a little bit south.

Newark is a college town and is in full swing from late August to mid-Dec and February to May (winter break is long for UDel) with summertime being less college aged and more family oriented. There are plenty of bars with a "night scene" all year long and the "Main" street (literally Main St) has come a long way in 10 years and has a variety of trendy restaurants and shops, along with the good old standbys like bookstores and a 5 & 10.

But as far as the price range is concerned, I know it would be difficult finding an apartment in that price range in a desirable area of Boston or it's burbs...you will be looking at the high end of your range or a little more for a decent place in Trolley Square or Newark.

Last edited by phlydude; 08-20-2009 at 08:57 AM..

Old 08-20-2009, 01:32 PM

14 posts, read 60,809 times
I agree with other posters that Newark has everything you'd want that you can get in Wilmington plus it is safer. Even Trolley Square in Wilmington is so small its not like it can be your everything neighborhood where you never have to leave. To get to a decent grocery store, you'd still have to go north of Wilminton via the interstate/highway or to go to a Walmart or Target.. I dont think Id ever live in Wilmington (city of).

Newark is a great town. You can walk around Main Street Newark to just hangout and there are lots of neat little restaurants and shops right in town. The commute to Wilmington is not that far. There is a mall nearby and good grocery stores all over town. I am sure you could find an apartment or a house to rent in your (higher end) price range.

We just had a vacation to Boston this summer and loved it! We want to move there!

Old 08-20-2009, 02:12 PM

324 posts, read 1,220,443 times
There is a an ACME grocery store right diagonal from trolley square before the train bridge - easy walk if you live within a few blocks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware