Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 09:45 PM

23 posts, read 98,871 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a school (kindergarten initially for my son). There are many catholic schools. We have just moved to the US and we are Anglican / Episcopal, but not to the extent that we are looking for a religious school.

To what extent are the Catholic schools religious? i.e. how much of the teaching is religious? Do they accept children of all faiths? Are the children expected to attend Mass at a certain church?

In my day we have a service 4 out of 5 days in the morning and about 40mins of religious teaching. Should I expect more from the Catholic schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 05:44 PM

53 posts, read 321,026 times
I received a Catholic education from fourth grade all the way through high school. I attended St. Edmond's Academy then Salesianum H.S. Both are all boys schools and non-parochial. Ursuline and Padua are the female equivalents. All are located in New Castle County.
Being Catholic schools, religion classes are part of the curriculum. The classes were approximately 45 minutes/day. Both schools do accept students of other faiths and denominations. I'm not sure if the same holds true for parochial schools, but I believe it does.
For the non-parochial schools, mass was only held on the holy days of obligation. We did not attend daily services. The days when services were held, altered that current day's schedule. The classes would then go down to mass as a group, including the non-catholic students, because mass was a school wide event.
Comparatively speaking, it looks like you had more religious education than I did. I think the same holds true today. To answer your last question, I think you can expect less religious teaching; more so with non-parochial schools (I have no real experience with parochial schools). With the non-parochial schools being unassociated with a particular parish, you are not required to attend a certain church.
In my experience, I think more focus is placed on traditional education with religious education added as a moral guideline. I don't think you have to worry about your child becoming indoctrinated in the Catholic faith if that is your concern.

Last edited by Baconator; 04-13-2009 at 05:52 PM..

Old 12-05-2012, 07:37 PM

38 posts, read 72,775 times
There is nothing wrong with the public education system that a nun with a yardstick can't fix.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:17 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,628,769 times
I went to Catholic Parochial school 1st through 12th grade.

Catholic schools accept students of all faiths, tho keepi in mind if the student is not Catholic, there is usually an additonal fee added on to the tuition., , . ./ I'd venture to say that about 80% of the students at my Catholic school were indeed Catholic, the other 20% being some other denomination of Christian or no religion at all really. . .. We even had some muslim students in my school. . It was kinda cool.

We had morning prayer everyday...usually done with the morning announcements, just a quick 20 second prayer really and the pledge. . .

I had a "religion class" everyday, though to be honest, it wasn't like some cultish thing where they indoctrinated the children, etc... it was pretty informal and rather boring and easy to be honest. Always an easy A in that class. Tho, they will teach the students about Catholic traditions, teachings, etc, lets be clear on that. .

Mass happened like 3 or 4 times a year. Usually a school wide thing. I liked it cuz it got me out of classes and kinda switched up the day. Usually before major breaks. . Like there was always a mass at the end of the school year....a mass before Christmas break, Spring break....beginning of the school year, that was it really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware