Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 06:55 AM

39 posts, read 106,776 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating with my family to the area. I have two kids four and six years old.

Is there anyway to get a waterfront/boating lifestyle (preferably fresh water) where we can walk to a boat dock, get good schools, and be in a family friendly area? I would be willing to commute up to 50-60 minutes from the University.

Thanks for the help, this forum is great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 5,936 times
Default I think for freshwater, you need to be in MD (I could be wrong)

Chesapeake City (in MD) might be a good choice for you. You can be right on the canal with easy access to the water. It also happens to be a great town. I would think Bear, DE might have some canal front options, but I am not familiar enough to know. Any opinions out there on Delaware City or Bear?

Old 04-14-2009, 11:23 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
The Marina at Lums Pond is on Route 71 South. It has been quite a while since I have been to the marina, but there are house boats and mooring. There have also been several restaurants there, but because of State law, I don't think they stay long. I also would look at Chesapeake City.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:01 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I was also thinking of Maryland. In general their schools are supposed to be very good, but you should check them out here - Search for Maryland public schools. or this site - SchoolMatters (http://www.schoolmatters.com/schools.aspx/q/page=sr/ust=MD/p=1/fp=1 - broken link) You can use the same site to compare Delaware schools.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:50 AM

Default Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info. I will check out the schools on the website. Is Lums Pond nice? Does it connect to the Chesapeake somehow?

Old 04-16-2009, 12:30 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
I would think that Lums Pond connects to the C & D Canal because of the marina. There is also a swimming area, small boating area, and a dog beach. There are picnic areas, basketball courts, and lots of activities. You might want to check it out. Lums Pond State Park, Bear, Delaware

Old 04-19-2009, 07:34 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,001 times
I would recommend Chesapeake City on C & D Canal. I replied on your Maryland thread but will reply here as well. I am living in (renting) an amazing waterfront property that just went up for sale. It is on the C & D Canal in Chesapeake City. I just created a website for the owner with all the info on the house but I don't think I would be aloud to post the link (even though it is not my house) . If you want more info direct message me. It is a must see!

Old 05-16-2009, 02:50 PM

324 posts, read 1,220,295 times
Lums Pond does NOT connect to the canal.

There is very limited housing in Delaware on fresh water with water access around the area you are looking. We don't have very many ponds or lakes and those that we do have are small.
The river has been built up industrially aside from Del City and New Castle but even access in New Castle is extremely limited.
Honestly, the views across the river where you can have access will have the nuclear power plant in Jersey well in view.

Chesapeake City is nice but can be loud in the summer as the restaurants along the canal tend to bring in the party crowd.

You might be able to find some water property in Old Christiana or in Newark along the creek but that will be it.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:35 AM

6 posts, read 69,998 times
I would definitely take a look at Chesapeake City, MD or North East, MD. Both are going to keep you within a reasonable 30-45 minute commute from Newark. While CC is on the C&D canal, North East is on the North East river a major tributary of the Chesapeake Bay. Both have plenty to do (probably more to do in North East with shops, grocery store, etc.) and are family friendly. Chesapeake City is more touristy and historical, but is much smaller and very un-commercialized.

I now live in Coastal NC, but grew up in Chesapeake City, spending my childhood on the waterways around Cecil County. The people, schools, and towns are very decent...if MD can keep itself from becoming a tax-crazy state.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:15 PM

Default thanks for the thumbs up on CC and NE

I've been looking for someone familiar with the water around Cecil County. Do you swim in it? I noticed that you can't see through it (at least where I was on the Elk River), it was muddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware