Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:46 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,929,309 times

Advertisements

SugarMagnolia, let me make a couple of observations based on my own experiences. At least as a partnered adult without children it has been my experience that it gets harder to make friends after one's college years/early twenties. I think this may sometimes be different for folks who are into the whole rug rats family scene, because they oftentimes seem to connect through activities that they line up for their children or because of their children. Still, that's likely to be primarily true for the more extraverted young parents -- obviously not all young adults with kids are into making kid-related activities the centre of their own social lives. Partnered adults often get so tied up with each other, with their work lives and with the responsibilities of maintaining their own homes and households that there's rather little real motivation for an outside social life. I've found this to be the case even when one wishes for more friends and more of a social life. I guess my partner and I have found ourselves surprisingly ambivalent during those periods in our lives when we did manage to develop a bigger social circle. Sometimes it seemed too much to manage and a bit of an imposition. For us it's also been pretty much a matter of chance when we've developed more friends -- just happening into it more than anything. I only want to caution that some of this may be more due to being beyond your early twenties and without children, rather than because of where you're living specifically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 04:56 PM

310 posts, read 774,146 times
Not trolling toobusytoday, just telling the truth. I might not have the expertise that some of the people that have been in DE for 6, 12 or 24 months. I have only been here 50+ years and I have seen and been to the 20+ things to do here. I'm not still exploring those things. After you have seen the DuPont mansions, the beaches, the Playhouse, fishing up and down the state, eating at the good, better and terrible restaurants, etc more times than you can count, De is boring. If you are talking about DE'S proximity to Philly, DC, New York, Balto, etc,yes we are close but Philly, DC, New York, Balto. are not Delaware.

So as I said before it was removed, yes, it's still boring!

Old 08-04-2009, 06:23 PM

377 posts, read 1,110,940 times
I just moved here, and can already see that it is going to be boring in many ways. It is not Jersey where there is something to do all the time. I was always busy there at Six Flags, indoor parks, boardwalks, etc. I think there is more of a community sense here though. Instead of going to bars on the boardwalk you have drinks with neighbors. Instead of going to the beach we hang out in the streets with the kids. Maybe I just got accustomed to doing too much. I am looking forward to slowing the pace a little.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:52 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,929,309 times
Without meaning to give offence, your description of things to do in Jersey definitely wouldn't be my cup of tea. Amusement parks and boardwalk bars hardly interest me and I dare say many people. That certainly wouldn't be an attraction to me for a state -- actually the opposite. I'm more interested in nature, history, culture, and restaurants and bars that are either of very high quality or which exhibit a unique level of local culture.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:25 PM

377 posts, read 1,110,940 times
You need to keep in mind that I have 3 kids and am in my 20s, so amusement parks and boardwalk bars are a good time for me. I have never really been into culture, nature, or history. There are very high quality bars and restaraunts on the boardwalk too. It just shows that everyone has different interests and what some find to be boring others find to be interesting. I am personally bored to death at museums unless I can touch things, but I know other people love museums.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:29 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,635,890 times
Default Killens State Park

I would just like to share......we visited Killens State park today. What a great time we had.
Water park with water slides. Life guards kept kids under control. No running and jumping. Anyone getting out of hand........got the whistle.
Rehobeth board have a lot of fun stuff.
Six flags is really not that far. Go up route one to jersey turnpike. If you are in Northern DE.....it takes even less time.
DE is long and narrow so no one is really THAT far from the beachs. Ocean City MD is a hot spot for families too.
I know when I was in my twenties raising my kids......the last thing I wanted was a bar.
Not being far from MD, VA, PA and Jersey.
The state parks in DE are also very nice with biking, hiking, boating, swimming, nature trails or just sitting on the beach.
Killens is also nice for families to camp out of the weekend. I know some young girl along with her son and DH rented a cabin for the week. Cooked steaks on the grill, roasted mellows and the usualy camping stuff. Prolly spoky stories by flash light too. oooohhhh. Boo!!

There are a host of all kinds of restaurants to suite you taste. I know with young kids, we couldn't afford the expensive places. Plenty of family places to go for a nice meal.

My daughter and her family are visiting. Yesterday to cape henlopen, today killens pond.
Dinner is at County Eaterie where the food is subperb. A dinner with soup, entree, dessert and beverage for $10.00
Bon Apetite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandee1213 View Post
You need to keep in mind that I have 3 kids and am in my 20s, so amusement parks and boardwalk bars are a good time for me. I have never really been into culture, nature, or history. There are very high quality bars and restaraunts on the boardwalk too. It just shows that everyone has different interests and what some find to be boring others find to be interesting. I am personally bored to death at museums unless I can touch things, but I know other people love museums.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:44 PM

35 posts, read 175,198 times
I was born and raised mostly in Delaware (Wilmington) and will sum it up with the following lyrics from the group Rush (Subdivisions)...

"The suburbs have no charms to soothe the restless dream of youth."

Don't get me wrong, DE is beautiful with its running brooks, rivers and streams, but it is a small city at best. Does have tax free shopping, though. Whatever the listed price of something is...that's what it is. No tax! Great place to raise a family, too. It truly was a great place to grow up as a child. Very fond memories.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:47 PM

35 posts, read 175,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmafia View Post
Only the boring get bored.

If you get bored in Delaware, or any state for that matter, it is because you are a boring person.

It depends on where you choose to reside. Personally, I like Northern DE because you have big city advantages without the big city hassles.

NYC, Philadelphia, Atlantic City, Baltimore, Washington, DC all within two hours, by car, quicker by train. Within the same range you also have the Brandywine Valley, Jersey & Delaware beach resorts, the Chesapeake Bay, Poconos, a multitude of sports, music and performance venues and a very good and diverse grassroots-type of community up and down the state.

Yeah, if you are worried that this area is boring, you probably need to go somewhere else.
Notice all of the "advantages" listed for living in DE involve being able to visit areas/cities OUTSIDE of DE.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:23 AM

271 posts, read 992,034 times
I've not read much here for weeks, and I don't know if 12buttons is still around, but I wanted to answer a few questions, just in case. No, not feeling "bittersweet" about moving from Delaware--and we don't know where yet. We've been here a very long time, and would like to be, among other things, closer to family. That could put us almost anywhere in the country. My husband leans toward warmer; I think Delaware is way too warm, and would like real winters. Sorry, to disagree with you on that point, drjef! I find myself agreeing with you most of the time. (And I think my husband is likely to win the climate wars.)

12buttons, there is some contrast between the weather in northern New Castle county and farther south. Sometimes, over many years, it has snowed around Wilmington/Newark and not in Dover, and just a bit cooler to the north, though not always. Anyone who has lived in Delaware for decades will tell you that there have been a good many winters with 18 or 20 inches of snow on the ground, yes--even in Kent County--though that's most often two snowstorms close together. (Look for stats from the past.) Sometimes, we on tertiary roads find ourselves in icy driving situations, but not for long.

Elizamary, like you, and as described previously, we enjoy Killens Pond--the pond itself and path through the woods around it--and like the Cape Henlopen beach and general area, sandy paths through the evergreens and more. Over the years, we've rarely found a restaurant in the Dover area that we truly enjoy, sorry to say.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:56 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,773,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
wow - can't believe it would be that bad...how long did the winter last? how much snow did you get? how cold during the day? what aprt of Delaware do you live? It must be milder along the coast -no? North I would think is worse...
My dear, I grew up in Buffalo NY where tomatoes get frostbite in July...and left Fairfield CT due to the winters...the winters in VA were a walk in the park in comparison - I can't imagine it's that brutal in Delaware...do tell!
Thanks jinx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware