Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 11:45 PM

23 posts, read 61,974 times

Advertisements

OMG! I've been in Delaware 8 months now and I am beyond ready to move--I'm just sticking it out a bit longer for the sake of my husband's job/career! This WINTER IS BRUTAL and there is absolutely nothing to do in Dover. What was I thinking? Our builder folded in December and left us high and dry! Meanwhile, my house sits with dozens of unfinished items NOT covered under any warranty. This sucks... HELP!

Last edited by Magilla43; 02-26-2010 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 08:06 AM

699 posts, read 2,894,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magilla43 View Post
OMG! I've been in Delaware 8 months now and I am beyond ready to move--I'm just sticking it out a bit longer for the sake of my husband's job/career! This WINTER IS BRUTAL and there is absolutely nothing to do in Dover. What was I thinking? Our builder folded in December and left us high and dry! Meanwhile, my house sits with dozens of unfinished items NOT covered under any warranty. This sucks... HELP!
OH Magilla....this is your first winter in Dover and the weather has been very unusual. I think everyone has just about had it with this winter weather but please know this is highly unusual. Last year we had one large storm and the other years just dustings to 2 or 3". Hang in there, I think most of us are suffering from cabin fever right now. Trust me, spring is around the corner.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:12 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Without meaning to give offence, your description of things to do in Jersey definitely wouldn't be my cup of tea. Amusement parks and boardwalk bars hardly interest me and I dare say many people. That certainly wouldn't be an attraction to me for a state -- actually the opposite. I'm more interested in nature, history, culture, and restaurants and bars that are either of very high quality or which exhibit a unique level of local culture.
I second that - and I'm in my late 30s

especially with younger kids there is a lot to do. spending great time with your family for me does not only mean to stroll along a boardwalk (usually you end up shopping) or going to an amusement park (being entertained by others).
six flags might be cool (have not seen one so far), but I would not take my young kids there - that's something we were saving for the time, when the youngest is around 10. Same thing with disney world (went there once, was fantastic - but I know families who go there every year ) - there is a lot of things to do with little one's

I love the the historical sites (e.g. john reed house in new castle, where we got a great tour made for little one's)

fort delaware - great day trip, winterthur (especially the enchanted woods during summer time),

libraries offer great programs,

we just went to the newark art alliance for the drum circle (it's free and kids are welcome)

museum of national history is a great place, too,

lots of sports - all of my three kids play soccer at different places in middletown and kirkwood - affordable and a perfect team game.

the beaches are close and free

there are small fairs like the one at St. Joseph's in july - very sweet, cool rides and affordable. and we have more of these ...

we like the state parks and what the nature center have to offer, went to killens pons several times, fishing, now we'll start geocaching in the woods

and the list goes on and on. and IF we are ready for a bigger adventure, we are in NYC, Baltimore, washington, philly in 2-3 hours.

I really think, nowadays we spoil our kids with 2nd hand entertainment, which you can just buy (shopping, amusement parks, restaurants) and we already know so many families, where kids say: it's boring, not beach/disney/movie theater again ... it's easy - but it won't pay back.

If a child thinks, the beach is a boring place, we did something wrong - really wrong.

I think, that's sad. we live in a great location which provides lots of possibilities and it's up to each single person, to make something out of the potential.
If we as adults complain, how boring it is - of course the kids do, too.
my problem is a different one, I never have enough time for all the things I want to do and can't remember a day, I was really bored. lucky me, I guess.

the only thing I think is boring around here is the lack of culinary variety. I am sick of all the chains, I want a decent greek restaurant e.g. but could not find one so far.

well, so I cook greek dishes myself, and, in case, I should get bored, I just start to learn greek, too

Last edited by queenofbavaria; 02-27-2010 at 09:33 AM..

Old 02-27-2010, 08:41 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,790,658 times
I brought this thread back as kind of a joke(the snow thing) but I believe any place you live for a long time might seem boring. I can't speak for Dover or Middletown but for me, Lewes to Fenwick always has something going on even in the off months. For singles in northern De we have the bars in Trolley Square in Wilmington and a decent nightlife around Wilmington in general. Plus our close proximity to Philly.My kids are never bored with sports and friends.I will say some sports like baseball cost a fortune. When I look at a map of the U.S I can't imagine living anywhere but the East Coast. Nebraska,the Dakotas,Wyoming places like that seem boring to me but since I've never lived there I can't really coment.

If you live in a coastal state from Boston to Miami and are bored you not trying hard enough.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:58 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
Dover is one of those places that I suspect you can't take as a self-contained community unless you have a very high boredom threshold. To me there isn't much there and I would think in terms of Kent and coastal Sussex counties being the home territory for activities, with occasional trips up to northern New Castle County.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:58 AM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Dover is one of those places that I suspect you can't take as a self-contained community unless you have a very high boredom threshold. To me there isn't much there and I would think in terms of Kent and coastal Sussex counties being the home territory for activities, with occasional trips up to northern New Castle County.
I think it's a matter of preference, plus knowledge of activities, events, programs, theatre, museums, and sporting events available in this area. As doctorjef said, it depends on the boredom threshold, but also coupled with one's definition of "boredom". There is life, fun, culture, and activities below the ditch. I do understand that worldly individuals would find "our" area boring, though.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:13 PM

377 posts, read 1,114,631 times
I guess the reason that I say this area is kind of boring is because of the area I was from. All of the points that Queen made about De. we had in Jersey but nicer. I do very much like De., but it is definitly a culture shock from where I am from. If all I knew was De. than it wood be fantastic, but it isn't.

1. I drove through Historic New Castle (that was 5 min)
2. beaches are not that close, I can't go there after dinner for a concert
3. We never go shopping on the boardwalk, I don't know what boardwalk you go to. We usually go for free concerts, different boardwalks/beaches have kids/adults concerts at night.
4. not impressed with Natural History Museum. We are used to the one in NY (if you never went to that one that the one in De, but be fine)
5. Six Flags- we have had season passes for almost 10 years. Although some might not like that we find it to be a cheap outing since we have passes. It is something that is hard to give up to, once you have been going there for so long. (a 10 yr old would not appreciate Thomas the Train world
)
6. sports- I am not happy at all with the rec dept. here. I dont even know what town I am in. we live in Newark, one kid goes to school in Bear and another Middletown.
7. library programs are good, but there is no library very close to me.
8. NYC is very far. Philli and Baltimore dont compare in anyway to NYC. I don't love NY, but it is nice to know it is close and you can jump on the train for a broadway show or whatever

I do see what you are saying though that we are entertaining our children too much and paying a lot of money for it. I do like that in De. it is a slower pace of life and kids don't learn to grow up too fast. I just think that if you have lived outside of De. and you have lived a faster pace and are used to something different, this area does seem boring. We have to think that different people find different stuff fun, it is all relative to the person.

I hope no one is offended by this.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:53 PM

23 posts, read 61,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
OH Magilla....this is your first winter in Dover and the weather has been very unusual. I think everyone has just about had it with this winter weather but please know this is highly unusual. Last year we had one large storm and the other years just dustings to 2 or 3". Hang in there, I think most of us are suffering from cabin fever right now. Trust me, spring is around the corner.
Thank you for the encouragement. Can we say "Spring"? Enough already!

Old 02-27-2010, 04:27 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
Default I am from NY and currently live in

Riverdale, The Bronx, NY but I went to the UD from 83-87. I have fond memories of Del tho my academic experience was bad(that was because of some things I had to work out)

The people were friendly and low key, the areas around Newark were attractive and unpretentious. My folks moved to the S in 97 and on my way back up here i used to visit Newark and loved the changes they made on Main Street-a cool trendy coffee bar and bookstore, an enclosed shopping mall, etc.

Every time I stop at the Christiana Mall someone starts a friendly conversation with me in the food court or in the stores

Del isn't really "the south" compared to say Ga or the Carolinas but it seems friendlier

ALways thought highly of Del

Old 02-27-2010, 05:35 PM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Riverdale, The Bronx, NY but I went to the UD from 83-87. I have fond memories of Del tho my academic experience was bad(that was because of some things I had to work out)
The people were friendly and low key, the areas around Newark were attractive and unpretentious. My folks moved to the S in 97 and on my way back up here i used to visit Newark and loved the changes they made on Main Street-a cool trendy coffee bar and bookstore, an enclosed shopping mall, etc.
I worked at UD during that time period I loved the Mall area, walking Main Street, the Deer Park, The Stone Balloon, and that little nut shop. Glad you have good memories of Delaware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware