Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 06:37 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,569,016 times

Advertisements

did the Down Under Club remain? In 97 I noticed it was no longer there. Remember I Like It Like That records? And the Malt Shoppe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 07:49 PM

445 posts, read 1,430,986 times
I have lived in a Midwestern town of 1,000 and driven 20 miles to the grocery store; and I have lived in Chicago. I have lived in a Utah town where 4 in 5 people practiced one religion/lifestyle. And I have lived in Delaware. East, Midwest and Intermountain West in litlle towns or large cities I have learn one thing. Any place is as boring as you make it.

Keep an open mind, embrace adventure, get out of your own comfort zone and most importantly ..... smile and say hello.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:05 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,929,309 times
First of all, nothing is going to compare to NYC -esp Manhattan - other than another world city such as London (which in my opinion is a 100 times better than NY). Philly and Baltimore are distinguished old cities in their own right, with loads of resources that only a few other large cities have; but each of them have crime and poverty problems that dwarf those of NYC. Delaware is so small that it's tempting but specious to compare the whole state with a large city in another state. In point of fact, DE is culturally and geographically diverse, even if small by modern standards (and has always been small in terms of population, back to colonial days). I don't think it's fair to compare DE to NYC, DC, Baltimore or Philly, among other large cities. DE lacks cultural and educational resources that those places have, yet offers resources that those places lack. As my partner and I moved here from London, I'm acutely aware of what we gave up and often regretful; but I also know it's futile to compare apples to oranges. Delaware (and southeastern PA outside of Philly) is one of the friendliest - if not the friendliest -places I've lived, including the notoriously friendly Texas (of which I'm a native son). The best possible adjustment to DE or to anywhere else is to enjoy the things that the place has on offer, which in the case of this happy little state are many indeed. If it truly isn't satisfactory, move somewhere else. Many of us do that repeatedly throughout our lifetimes.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magilla43 View Post
Thank you for the encouragement. Can we say "Spring"? Enough already!
You have not experienced beach season yet; hang in there. Pack a picnic lunch and head to DE Seashore Park as soon as we warm up.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:14 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,809,711 times
Is Delaware as Boring as people Say it is?

Boredom is one of the symptoms of a poor imagination.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Is Delaware as Boring as people Say it is?

Boredom is one of the symptoms of a poor imagination.
I think it's rather easy to say this, but it tends to deny the fact that some places offer a better "fit" to the particular interests and preferences of an individual than other places. It sounds clever to say "Only boring people get bored", but that's really a significant over-simplification. It would be more helpful to know, in the present instance, what Magilla's interests, preferences and goals are, rather than to imply a lack of imagination or resourcefulness. You also need to know what obstacles the person is perceiving or objectively facing in the fulfillment of their goals, interests and aesthetic enjoyment.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:45 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,403,011 times
One thing I think people forget, is that, when you grow up somewhere, you form your own circle of friends throughout your childhood. Once you amass a certain amount of friends, you stick together, and that's it.

Delaware, although friendly, is not immune to that rule. When you come to Delaware, yes, there are plenty of parties and bars to go to, but you're not going to be let in on the circle unless you date a native, per se, at which point everything becomes exposed.

I see my friends' facebook profiles every day who are still in DE, and they are always partying, going to clubs, and bars (and Phila, NY, AC.)

If you're not from the area, you're not going to magically bypass the first 20-30 years of people's upbringing, and suddenly find yourself texted 20 times a night to multiple parties, bars, and clubs.

Being outside of DE for 4 years now, I unfortunately see this side of Delaware. I'm out of the loop, and it is painfully boring to be in DE. Back in 2005, however, I had parties galore, clubs, underground raves, field parties (bonfires,) and I wondered how somebody could consider DE boring.

There's a loop, people.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I think it's rather easy to say this, but it tends to deny the fact that some places offer a better "fit" to the particular interests and preferences of an individual than other places. It sounds clever to say "Only boring people get bored", but that's really a significant over-simplification. It would be more helpful to know, in the present instance, what Magilla's interests, preferences and goals are, rather than to imply a lack of imagination or resourcefulness. You also need to know what obstacles the person is perceiving or objectively facing in the fulfillment of their goals, interests and aesthetic enjoyment.
Oh give us a break please. While looking for utopia you have two choices. Bemoan the current condition or make lemonade. It is a decision Forrest Gump could make; it does not take Dr. Phil.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoll View Post
Oh give us a break please. While looking for utopia you have two choices. Bemoan the current condition or make lemonade. It is a decision Forrest Gump could make; it does not take Dr. Phil.

I think if you'd bother to read the totality of my posting on this topic, you wouldn't post such a facile response, Forrest.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
It would be more helpful to know, in the present instance, what Magilla's interests, preferences and goals are, rather than to imply a lack of imagination or resourcefulness. You also need to know what obstacles the person is perceiving or objectively facing in the fulfillment of their goals, interests and aesthetic enjoyment.

I suggest you read your own comments. You are addressing Magilla specifically, not the entire thread Dr Phil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware