Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:21 PM

445 posts, read 1,430,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Can I just jump in?

In the words of Forrest Gump-"boring is as boring does". It is what you make it.
I could not agree more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 08:47 PM

347 posts, read 860,089 times
Our neighbors have been very welcoming. There are so many "new" people in the area that we don't feel so "new"...lol. I have also found out that the people I meet that have been here for years enjoy telling me about how Middletown was and is growing.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 4,854 times
Here are my thoughts on Delaware. I moved here as a 20 something, and never left. I moved from Philly and was uber bored, however i lived in north wilmington. (Which by the way, if you are going to live any place in Wimington, it needs to be North Wilmington) As someone mentioned before (about a year ago lol) There is a train that goes from Wilmington to Philly everyday except Sundays. If you are driving, it's only about 25 mins to downtown Philly.
If you are not young and single, Delaware is an excellent place to raise a family. I live in Middletown, DE, and it has all of the things one would look for in settling down with a family. (Good schools, nice neighborhoods, and reasonably priced homes)

Old 03-10-2010, 12:12 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,923,185 times
I can't agree that North Wilmington is THE place to live in Wilmington. First of all, it isn't even Wilmington proper -- it's significantly outside the city limits and some of it immediately abutts the PA state line. Parts of North Wilmington are quite nice, but not all of it by any means. Within Wilmington itself, The Highlands, Wawaset Park, and Trolley Square are all good neighborhoods in different ways and to that one would also have to add Forty Acres. Other good suburbs include Westover Hills, Westhaven, West Park, Westminster, and Greenville. Centreville and Hockessin are IMO too far out to be lumped together with Wilmington, but both are definitely within the greater Wilmington orbit and both have a lot to offer as places to live.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:56 PM

23 posts, read 60,804 times
I live in clayton and I can honestly say it is a bit boring. However, it all depends on what your interests are. I like concerts, museums, and places you tend to find in a metro area. If you like a more rural lifestyle then kent county might be okay for you. If you prefer a more metro lifestyle and want to be near an airport I'd suggest living in Wilmington. The commute to the airport is short from there, christiana mall isn't far away and neither is shopping in Philly, you can go to sporting events in Philly, and you can go to museums in wilmington and Philly. Kent county is okay if you have kids and want to live some place quiet and easy going. Just all depends on what you want. I moved here from PA almost 18 years ago and now I want to move back to the south. I lived there when I was little and I miss it. Mainly because I miss the mountains. It's very flat here in Delaware. It's below sea level. Drainage issues are a problem. If you buy a house here you'd better plan on getting a sump pump if it has a crawl space or basement. And you'd better have the place waterproofed. The weather here is typical for the midatlantic/east coast. Native Delawareans are kind of cautious about outsiders but they will eventually warm up to you. Here in Kent county we have a lot of transients too because of the Dover Air Force Base. If you are going to live in kent county- camden, magnolia, and smyrna are probably the best places to live. Especially if you have kids. Caesar Rodney, Smyrna, and Lake Forest school districts are really good. Public transportation isn't the greatest here. only covers the immediate Dover area. A car is a must in Kent County. In wilmington public transportation is much better and you can get the amtrak train into philly, new york, and new jersey if you need to. Jobs are hard to come by in southern delaware at the moment unless you are in the medical profession or certain other specialized fields. There's a bit more available employment wise in Wilmington. So again it's all a matter of what you need and the type of lifestyle you want.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:56 PM

23 posts, read 61,800 times
Jeannie,
I must say now that I've moved to Delaware from the Louisiana (the area we lived in was just slightly above sea level) I definitely agree with you relative to missing the mountains! Your suggestions are dead on accurate when it comes to describing Delaware! Now that spring has arrived and we survived our first winter here (OMG!) I am now enjoying the flowers and warmer weather which allows us to move about more freely. I was completely taken back as to how dry the weather is in the winter. Several doors wouldn't close, wood split on crown molding etc., and we did have some leaking in the basement from the heavy rains. We settled in Magnolia and our daughter goes to Caesar Rodney High. Looks like we followed your plan perfectly.
Thanks for the heads up. It's time to explore our new State!

P.S. What's up with the heavy winds?

Old 04-16-2010, 05:34 PM

23 posts, read 60,804 times
Magilla luckily most winters are usually not like this past winter. We do get snow but just not quite as much as this past winter. I think the wind has a lot to do with being on a peninsula. All the wind coming off the water. I grew up in southwestern VA so we were definitely at higher elevations there than here. But like I said as long as you waterproof your house you are good to go! I'm sure your daughter will do well at CR. It really is a great school. I'm studying to be a teacher currently and I know people who work in that district. I also know some people with their children attending schools there and I've heard nothing but good things about the district. Have you been to fifer orchards yet? It's near camden and they have really yummy fresh fruit! They have the peach festival there every year. If you ever get up north of smyrna you should go to willey farms. Fresh produce, plants, trees, and tons of crafts, knick knacks, and furniture. Really nice place to check out ran by a local family.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:26 AM

9,683 posts, read 14,157,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannies35 View Post
Have you been to fifer orchards yet? It's near camden and they have really yummy fresh fruit! They have the peach festival there every year. If you ever get up north of smyrna you should go to willey farms. Fresh produce, plants, trees, and tons of crafts, knick knacks, and furniture. Really nice place to check out ran by a local family.
All good suggestions!
Sorry, but there are a couple things we natives are quite touchy about. Fifer's is west of the Town of Wyoming. Camden and Wyoming are two different towns, and it's The Wyoming Peach Festival that the Town of Wyoming has down by the train station and town hall, in conjunction with Fifer's Customer Appreciation Day There's a long history to these two towns, totally different from one another. When you leave one to go into the other, it's noticeable to many people. Picky, Picky, huh?

Last edited by rdlr; 04-17-2010 at 01:42 AM..

Old 04-17-2010, 06:04 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,923,185 times
The narcissism of small differences?

Old 04-17-2010, 06:14 AM

9,683 posts, read 14,157,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
The narcissism of small differences?
Some might think we are the Hatfields and the McCoys. Close, but not quite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware