U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 03:16 PM

10,146 posts, read 15,861,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Don't forget that the Wilmington area is a sub-component of the greater Philadelphia area and that there's commuter rail to Philly (if you don't wish to drive there) and that it's not so far from there if you want to be near a big city without living in one. My impression of it from the times I've been there is (and I know it's not an exact analogy) that it's a smaller version of Connecticut.
Or since Delaware was here first, perhaps Connecticut is just a bloated Delaware! Just kidding, CT is a lovely state.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 05:40 PM

4,598 posts, read 5,995,402 times
The closeness of Philly should be borne in mind, although I confess I've never warmed to Philly. I go over there pretty much weekly for mass at an old-fashioned Anglo-Catholic church (Saint Clement's), but I've never been really interested in getting to know the place intimately. I feel that it might have been a better place to have moved to from London (as we did), but if I don't actually live there, I don't want to deal with it. I really hate driving in unfamiliar places, so that might give some insight both into me, Philly, and Wilmington! If I could buy a pied a terre in centre city Philly for $150,000 I might consider it, but it's not really possible. However, the point of my response is to say that you can always go to Philly for excitement, assuming you're less retiring than I am.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:54 AM

43 posts, read 87,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
What prompted you to think about moving to DE? You must have perceived some potential advantages to living here.

If you are used to, or value, a big city then my advice would be not to come here. Wilmington and its burbs provide only a minimally urban atmosphere, My partner and I in fact try to get out of Wilmington about once a month -- to NYC, London, the lower DE beaches, Boston, Toronto, etc, etc. Fortunately, we've got the resources to do that. Greater Wilmington is a nice place in some ways -- easy to deal with, no big traffic problems, doesn't take long to get places, beautiful scenery north of town, relatively cheap place to live, but it would be a real backwater for a single person in their twenties or early thirties. I know lots of people who fit that description, but they are all natives with a big network of friends and in most cases a devotion to the beach scene. It might be hard to come here as a single from somewhere else and have a really easy, satisfying adjustment.
Thanks for the info...What prompted me to think about moving there is that it would be cheaper than living in New york city, which is where I live now. That is about the only advantage other then that nothing.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:10 AM

If it's just to do with the cost of living, my advice is don't do it! You want lower cost of living and a city with dynamism, consider Austin, Texas. If you want to be on the east coast, you might consider the research triangle area of Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill. If you don't want to be that far south, I'm not sure but you might check out Baltimore (though the crime ranking there is pretty bad).

Old 05-01-2009, 11:03 AM

6,470 posts, read 7,790,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
If it's just to do with the cost of living, my advice is don't do it! You want lower cost of living and a city with dynamism, consider Austin, Texas. If you want to be on the east coast, you might consider the research triangle area of Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill. If you don't want to be that far south, I'm not sure but you might check out Baltimore (though the crime ranking there is pretty bad).
I almost ended up in Baltimore (had an interview there in March), it did look pretty "bad" but that was just observation. The problem with Baltimore is that beyond the city itself most areas (especially with the growth in the nearby DC area) are still pretty pricey (though not NYC pricey) I found.

The only real cheap areas in the Northeast I've seen are upstate NY and rural parts of Pennsylvania and that's mainly because there's no jobs in those areas. Though I hear Pittsburgh's relatively inexpensive.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:43 AM

67 posts, read 208,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I almost ended up in Baltimore (had an interview there in March), it did look pretty "bad" but that was just observation. The problem with Baltimore is that beyond the city itself most areas (especially with the growth in the nearby DC area) are still pretty pricey (though not NYC pricey) I found.

The only real cheap areas in the Northeast I've seen are upstate NY and rural parts of Pennsylvania and that's mainly because there's no jobs in those areas. Though I hear Pittsburgh's relatively inexpensive.
I lived in Pittsburgh for a year and a half and I honestly would not recommend it. You won't get anywhere near the same dynamic that you're used to in NYC, the job market isn't great and housing is cheaper because it's older.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:11 PM

If I were a young single looking to leave NYC for a significantly better cost of living, I wouldn't be looking at any location in the Northeast. Wilmington is tolerable for a 50-something partnered person like me. I've heard some great things about Providence, but the winters put me off and I don't think the economy is very good there at all at the moment. Chapel Hill-Carrboro NC is the most liberal place in the South and the Triangle would be vastly less expensive than NYC. There seems to be plenty going on in Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, as well. Austin, TX has a great quality of life, lots of stuff happening and a low cost of living (and has only been lightly impacted by the recession).

Old 05-01-2009, 01:22 PM

3,173 posts, read 3,353,459 times
oh, if Delaware is a smaller version of CT, then that makes me even more interested.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:48 PM

The coastal scenery isn't as good as Connecticut.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:19 PM

9 posts, read 26,238 times
I've lived here my entire life and yes, it is as boring as everyone says. However, more to the point, you mentioned there not being any jobs in rural PA and upstate NY, which is why you were looking to Delaware with it's lower cost of living. Currently, this state is hemorraging jobs. In New Castle County alone there is the Chrysler plant that closed in December, Mopar of course closed with them, the Avon plant in Newark is closing soon, Siemens in New Castle is closing and moving to Indianapolis, the GM plant in Newport is probably on it's way out, once MBNA was bought out by Bank of America a lot of employees were laid off from both. Make sure you take a serious look at the employment situation before you make a firm decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware