Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 05:54 AM

381 posts, read 1,362,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
One thing I think people forget, is that, when you grow up somewhere, you form your own circle of friends throughout your childhood. Once you amass a certain amount of friends, you stick together, and that's it.

Delaware, although friendly, is not immune to that rule. When you come to Delaware, yes, there are plenty of parties and bars to go to, but you're not going to be let in on the circle unless you date a native, per se, at which point everything becomes exposed.

I see my friends' facebook profiles every day who are still in DE, and they are always partying, going to clubs, and bars (and Phila, NY, AC.)

If you're not from the area, you're not going to magically bypass the first 20-30 years of people's upbringing, and suddenly find yourself texted 20 times a night to multiple parties, bars, and clubs.

Being outside of DE for 4 years now, I unfortunately see this side of Delaware. I'm out of the loop, and it is painfully boring to be in DE. Back in 2005, however, I had parties galore, clubs, underground raves, field parties (bonfires,) and I wondered how somebody could consider DE boring.

There's a loop, people.
Not a big deal. Because at 34 with a husband and two children, I'm not really interested in being in the "the loop" if that means getting texted 20 times a night to multiple parties, bars, and clubs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 06:23 AM

9,690 posts, read 14,169,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camrynh View Post
Not a big deal. Because at 34 with a husband and two children, I'm not really interested in being in the "the loop" if that means getting texted 20 times a night to multiple parties, bars, and clubs.
I guess there are different loops . Most of our friends reside in 3-4 towns/areas in Kent County. We went to grade school together, dated, partied, married, had kids, went through thick and thin together, had grandkids, and now we're all old together, still looking out for one another. Sure is a comforting feeling to have such a large extended family, people we know and trust, who will never stab us in the back, and will leap to the defense of one another at the drop of a hat. If it's "boring" it's a "nice boring". To each his own.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I guess there are different loops . Most of our friends reside in 3-4 towns/areas in Kent County. We went to grade school together, dated, partied, married, had kids, went through thick and thin together, had grandkids, and now we're all old together, still looking out for one another. Sure is a comforting feeling to have such a large extended family, people we know and trust, who will never stab us in the back, and will leap to the defense of one another at the drop of a hat. If it's "boring" it's a "nice boring". To each his own.
Oh, I'm sure that's great. I've never lived in a place long enough to have that, except for my childhood.

I just don't enjoy raves, parties, bars, every night. Or having people text me all night long. I enjoy parties and bars every now and then, but I prefer more family-oriented activities in general.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Oh, I'm sure that's great. I've never lived in a place long enough to have that, except for my childhood.
I just don't enjoy raves, parties, bars, every night. Or having people text me all night long. I enjoy parties and bars every now and then, but I prefer more family-oriented activities in general.
I admire people who are well traveled; it's interesting to me. We have wild parties once/month - at the Town Hall Meetings down the street We're of a different generation.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:55 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,785,778 times
Can I just jump in?

In the words of Forrest Gump-"boring is as boring does". It is what you make it.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I admire people who are well traveled; it's interesting to me. We have wild parties once/month - at the Town Hall Meetings down the street We're of a different generation.
Maybe not so different. That sounds like fun to me! And my typical "party" generally means getting together with friends and their kids. Hanging out, grilling out maybe, and having a few beers or glasses of wine.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:26 AM

728 posts, read 1,777,097 times
Quote:
Maybe not so different. That sounds like fun to me! And my typical "party" generally means getting together with friends and their kids. Hanging out, grilling out maybe, and having a few beers or glasses of wine.
Amen to that!

Old 03-02-2010, 07:01 AM

13,249 posts, read 33,387,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
One thing I think people forget, is that, when you grow up somewhere, you form your own circle of friends throughout your childhood. Once you amass a certain amount of friends, you stick together, and that's it.

Delaware, although friendly, is not immune to that rule. When you come to Delaware, yes, there are plenty of parties and bars to go to, but you're not going to be let in on the circle unless you date a native, per se, at which point everything becomes exposed.

I see my friends' facebook profiles every day who are still in DE, and they are always partying, going to clubs, and bars (and Phila, NY, AC.)

If you're not from the area, you're not going to magically bypass the first 20-30 years of people's upbringing, and suddenly find yourself texted 20 times a night to multiple parties, bars, and clubs.

Being outside of DE for 4 years now, I unfortunately see this side of Delaware. I'm out of the loop, and it is painfully boring to be in DE. Back in 2005, however, I had parties galore, clubs, underground raves, field parties (bonfires,) and I wondered how somebody could consider DE boring.

There's a loop, people.
Disclaimer - I'm a Delaware native, but now live in the Lehigh Valley in PA.

I think this post hits the nail on the head. And this is not a Delaware thing, this happens everywhere. My husband and I married young and moved to upstate NY. We did not have kids and our co-workers were mostly people that had kids or were older. We lived in a rural area and it was just very difficult to make friends. The two of us did things but there's only so much touring and exploring you can do. We didn't miss the club scene, (we married so young we were barely of age and had not experienced much of that anyway) we missed having old friends where you could grab a bite to eat or watch a football game with, or have a party with. When we would go back to Delaware it was just nice to be with people that knew you when you were a kid, or at least a teenager.

Once we had kids, things changed and we were able to meet people and make friends with other parents our kids ages and often times those people were also our neighbors, but it didn't happen overnight. Now that we've lived here for a dozen years I'm not as interested in making new friends.

As to an area being boring I think the friend aspect is huge. NYC was mentioned on this thread as a place where there are lots of choices of things to do. My daughter lives in Brooklyn and teaches in NYC. While she loves the city and I believe takes full advantage of museums, shows and quality and quantity of restaurants, she is just as busy when she comes home here to PA. The activities are different but because she has several friends that moved back after college, she's seldom home. She and her friends go out to restaurants and bars, hang out at each others homes and do karaoke, visit area wineries, work on a friends huge garden, take road trips, etc.

Most activities that adults do, have nothing to do with where you live. If you have kids during the week you often - work, go home, make dinner, help kids with homework and/or take them to an activity. On weekends you catch up on housework, go out to a movie/mall/play/sporting event/church/park. There are things to do everywhere - you just have to do a little research and get off your butt and go do it....

Also, for new residents that move - the best thing I ever did was get involved in newcomers club/welcome wagon when our kids were real little and then with our kids PTA when they were school age. Finding other people that didn't already have their group of friends or relatives close by was key. And friends really do make life less boring.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:07 AM

347 posts, read 860,412 times
We are 40 somethings who moved to DE about 6 months ago from Central NJ. I find DE pleasantly boring. It is quiet south of the canal and I no longer mind the short travel to get to things. Our children like it too!

Old 03-02-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Disclaimer - I'm a Delaware native, but now live in the Lehigh Valley in PA. ......

Also, for new residents that move - the best thing I ever did was get involved in newcomers club/welcome wagon when our kids were real little and then with our kids PTA when they were school age. Finding other people that didn't already have their group of friends or relatives close by was key. And friends really do make life less boring.
Glad things worked out so well for you TBT. I've always been a big promoter of Newcomers Clubs. Dover Air Force Base has contributed immensely to our local club, with so many new people moving in sharing their experiences. We learn from them, and them from us. IMO, to get the most out of Delaware, whatever subdivision or town people move in to, should not limit their circle of friends. Newcomers Clubs offer so much, and we have a Welcome Wagon here, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware