Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 12:51 PM

43 posts, read 140,452 times

Advertisements

I was planning to relocate to Delaware but after doing research I heard it was very Boring and you have to drive alomst everywhere.

Is Delaware as boring as people say it is or they don't know what they are talking about??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 01:14 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,918,558 times
I think we've had an almost identical thread before. Short answer: depends on you. As to driving, that depends to some extent on where you live and what you enjoy doing. For example, the beach scene is really big in DE, but if you don't live in the Sussex County beach towns you are going to have to drive to get to the beach. Where are you looking at possibly locating in DE?

Old 04-30-2009, 01:16 PM

43 posts, read 140,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I think we've had an almost identical thread before. Short answer: depends on you. As to driving, that depends to some extent on where you live and what you enjoy doing. For example, the beach scene is really big in DE, but if you don't live in the Sussex County beach towns you are going to have to drive to get to the beach. Where are you looking at possibly locating in DE?

I was thinking about wilmington since they say its more of a city feel?? other then taht maybe bear, de.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:43 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,790,510 times
Remember Wayne's world? "Hi....I'm in Delaware". That pretty much sums up what there is to do in Delaware.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:29 PM

What prompted you to think about moving to DE? You must have perceived some potential advantages to living here.

If you are used to, or value, a big city then my advice would be not to come here. Wilmington and its burbs provide only a minimally urban atmosphere, My partner and I in fact try to get out of Wilmington about once a month -- to NYC, London, the lower DE beaches, Boston, Toronto, etc, etc. Fortunately, we've got the resources to do that. Greater Wilmington is a nice place in some ways -- easy to deal with, no big traffic problems, doesn't take long to get places, beautiful scenery north of town, relatively cheap place to live, but it would be a real backwater for a single person in their twenties or early thirties. I know lots of people who fit that description, but they are all natives with a big network of friends and in most cases a devotion to the beach scene. It might be hard to come here as a single from somewhere else and have a really easy, satisfying adjustment.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:40 PM

13,248 posts, read 33,358,091 times
I agree with what doctorjef is saying, and I'd like to add that it's also a matter of perspective. If you live in a city or town similar or smaller then Wilmington it will probably be just fine. For a small town person like me, ANY city has more things to do then what I normally have. The beauty of a small city like Wilmington is that it has the usual city amenities - museums, history, theater, sports - but one can just as easily visit a mall outside of town or escape to the countryside within twenty minutes.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:56 PM

290 posts, read 1,155,239 times
I like to think of Deleware as "that state that you just drive through".

Old 04-30-2009, 03:16 PM

You know, I don't think responses like ToughLuv's are very helpful at all. Further, if you are just driving through it, you are probably on I-95 that traverses only a small portion of the state.

I'll refrain from insulting Virginia, though I can readily think of swipes to make.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:36 PM

11,243 posts, read 18,725,405 times
Don't forget that the Wilmington area is a sub-component of the greater Philadelphia area and that there's commuter rail to Philly (if you don't wish to drive there) and that it's not so far from there if you want to be near a big city without living in one. My impression of it from the times I've been there is (and I know it's not an exact analogy) that it's a smaller version of Connecticut.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:03 PM

310 posts, read 773,433 times
yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware