U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2006, 04:17 PM

1,999 posts, read 9,421,446 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the tax situation in Delaware?
Does Delaware tax Intangible Personal Property like interest, stocks, bonds?
Is Nevada or Delaware better for an individual on a personal tax basis?

What about the corporate tax situation?
Is Nevada a better situation taxwise for a small businessman or is Delaware if you incorporate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2006, 08:06 AM

63 posts, read 160,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie
Does anyone know the tax situation in Delaware?
Does Delaware tax Intangible Personal Property like interest, stocks, bonds?
Is Nevada or Delaware better for an individual on a personal tax basis?

What about the corporate tax situation?
Is Nevada a better situation taxwise for a small businessman or is Delaware if you incorporate?
I'll do some research and see what I can find for you. I know MANY businesses incorporate in Delaware including the Walt Disney Company.

Old 07-08-2006, 07:13 AM

1,999 posts, read 9,421,446 times
Default Thanks, Disney Dreamer, here is what I found out so far...

Wyoming may be better than either Delaware or Nevada. I have to find out more than I have so far.

One website did point out that Delaware is better than Nevada due to a new law in Nevada that makes you disclose stockholders and so forth--which was the reason Nevada was better at one time. Guess this came in around 2005.

However, insofar as Delaware taxing intangibles like stocks, bonds and interest--and nothing ticks you off more than for paying interest on your money in the bank like they do in some States (Illinois, for example)--I am having a more difficult time getting a straight answer. Some of the websites give an answer so obscure that I am not sure if that is a yes or a no tax on intangibles answer. I could use some real help on this one.

What is with this Delaware board? I thought--according to Delaware PR--that seniors were flocking into Delaware by the hundreds. If we go by this board, doesn't seem they are so interested in Delaware as the Travel and Tourism interests of Delaware would like us to believe.

Anything you might find, please share with me and I will share with you what I find. Thanks.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:49 PM

295 posts, read 526,371 times
Quote:
However, insofar as Delaware taxing intangibles like stocks, bonds and interest--and nothing ticks you off more than for paying interest on your money in the bank like they do in some States (Illinois, for example)--I am having a more difficult time getting a straight answer...
Delaware does NOT tax intangible assets, such as stocks, bonds or cash savings.

Delaware DOES tax interest, dividends, capital gains, etc. All income that is reportable on your Federal 1040 personal income tax form is copied directly onto your state income tax form. See the state website.

Regarding corporate taxes, which state is best depends on your situation. In general, Delaware corporate taxes are low, but not as low as South Dakota or Nevada. Businesses do pay gross receipts and inventory taxes on their Delaware income and assets (not on their out-of state income/assets), but they are low. Incorporation fees and paperwork are low ($75/yr, name officers not shareholders, report annual meeting date).

Delaware has modern and predictable business laws and courts. This is the reason why most major national businesses incorporate in Delaware.

Quote:
What is with this Delaware board? I thought--according to Delaware PR--that seniors were flocking into Delaware by the hundreds. If we go by this board, doesn't seem they are so interested in Delaware as the Travel and Tourism interests of Delaware would like us to believe.
The social fabric is weak in Delaware. The lack of participation here accurately mirrors that of civic organizations, PTAs, charities, etc. The general level of incivility in Delaware is very high relative to the midwest, south and certainly the west. One deals with so many unpleasant, irritable and occasionally aggressive people in daily life in Delaware, that people naturally respond by withdrawing.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:41 PM

58 posts, read 389,518 times
Default Taxes in DE

I lived in Chadds Ford PA for a few years which is just above DE and can only say that I miss shopping in DE because of the tax free shopping. I can't comment on other areas. When I say tax free that is what it was. If you went to Comp USA and spent $1000 on a computer like I did it was $1000 and the same applied to Home Depot or any other merchant or restaurant there are no taxes which is why it is called the tax free state on highway markers. This does add up over years.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:26 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,149,372 times
The social fabric is weak in Delaware. The lack of participation here accurately mirrors that of civic organizations, PTAs, charities, etc. The general level of incivility in Delaware is very high relative to the midwest, south and certainly the west. One deals with so many unpleasant, irritable and occasionally aggressive people in daily life in Delaware, that people naturally respond by withdrawing.

Interesting...I have found this to be true in most areas, if not all of wherever we had ever lived and we had moved a bit in our lifetimes actually...most of society, from what I had seen and witnessed is the haves and have nots and then you have those who have (usually the ones with money and social influence, but not always together, but usually, and they are the ones who run things, into the ground usually too, but not always and then you have the have nots, who have to work hard for living, often have other problems, like worrying if they can meet their mortage payments and they have little or no power but do not have time to fluff their hair for the pta president race, as I have experienced this most my life, I am sure that DE is not different or no worse off than other area that is the HAVES and HAVE NOTS...if its worse, god help me, I will be a hermit for sure then...hee hee, actually I prefer to be, but that is another story in and of itself..HA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or